Our Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

A Day in the Life...

I was recently skimming through a great site that outlines a day in the life of a Regency Lady and thought, wow! Two hundred years certainly changes things! Let's take a look at how a Regency Lady's day would differ from mine in the 21st Century...

Regency Lady:
"After breakfast with the children, the first job of the lady of the house would be to talk to the housekeeper."

Jerrica:
After she changes her daughter's diaper, heats up the formula, feeds and plays with the baby and puts her back down for her nap, she gets to eat her breakfast then embark on the household chores of laundry, dishes, etc...

Regency Lady:
"They would also discuss the evening meal. If visitors were expected, the lady would choose meals that were lavish and unusual."

Jerrica:
Might throw some cans of Campbell's soup and raw chicken into the crock pot for it to be ready by dinner time.

Regency Lady:
"When the early morning activities were finished, the social whirl would begin!"

Jerrica:
After the next feeding for the baby, would place baby in swing for opportunity to brush teeth and (heaven forbid) maybe take a shower before heading off to a group playdate (to which they would undoubtedly be a half hour late.)

Regency Lady:
"High society ladies would either receive calls or visit others. Tea would be drunk and snacks eaten."

Jerrica:
Would receive harried moms in sweat suits or visit said moms in sweats of her own. Water would be drunk and snacks avoided because everyone still has 15lbs of baby weight to lose.

Regency Lady:
"Very agreeable pastime for a young Regency lady (especially a Brunswick town resident) was to show off their latest fans and fashions along the sea front. To stroll along the promenade at Brighton was a popular way to spend a few hours."

Jerrica:
Would show off her sweats at Starbucks where she would quickly run in and out for an iced coffee or iced green tea (depending on how exhausted she was at this point), all the while maneuvering the stroller one-handed through tight spaces. Then she would feed the baby again and, hoping she had sufficiently tired out the baby, would put baby down for a nap and try to eek out a bit of writing time...unless of course the baby refused to sleep...then they would just watch Dr. Oz and Oprah together during tummy time.


So, as you can see, things have changed quite a bit in the last 200 years! Granted, I wasn't born to aristocracy, so perhaps my comparison is a little off. But I do have some wealthy friends and while they may have help, they still have crazy, harried days. But I don't think this is a bad thing. I believe our desire to play a part in our children's lives - to feed them, play with them, cart them from one activity to the other - may be the reason we're a bit on the busier side nowadays. Even if we have a nanny, we don't want the kids to be raised by the nanny - we want them to remember that we were there when they hit their first home run or to help them with their math homework. According to this account of a Regency Lady's day, it seemed the mother had breakfast with the children and then didn't see them the rest of the day. I'm glad we're not like that anymore. Being with my daughter is one of life's greatest joys!

-Jerrica, Her Grace of Grammar



14 comments:

  1. Interesting comparisons, Jerrica. You're right to enjoy your baby time. Next thing you know her garage band will be blasting you out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious, true, and touching! Thanks for all that you do. Nice work, honey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true... I'm guessing the shopkeeper's wife, would a life more like ours. But that's not as much fun to compare! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerrica, I love seeing these comparisons back-to-back like this. I laughed so hard reading them. And even while its funny, it is also informative. Makes me think twice as I'm writing, to be sure I'm giving the right portrayal of life in the Regency, when my life is so very, very different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail, thankfully we live in a high rise and probably always will...no garage in which to have a band! LOL!

    Eric, thanks for stopping by, honey :)

    Mistifaery, you're so right! LOL!

    Catherine, I'm glad I could make you laugh :)

    Thanks for visiting, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so I love so much about this, but particularly this line: "But I do have some wealthy friends and while they may have help, they still have crazy, harried days." Couldn't be more true!

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jerrica,
    Great post! I just told my husband this morning though, that I feel like I'm part of a rat race day in and day out and I wonder what in the world can I do to slow this down. Now I see I should have been a Regency Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, thanks, VVVBFF! I knew you would relate to that line. LOL! Love you, too!

    Julie, that's too funny! You would have made a great lady of leisure in the Regency.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jerrica,
    What a funny blog. And you are right about the joy of being involved in our kids' lives, even if it gets crazy some times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jerrica -

    Your post just made me want to be a Regency Lady. I want to have a housekeeper that I talk to about meals and socialize all day. :( *sigh* I was born in the wrong era.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As the saying goes, Jerrica--You've come a long way...too bad you're too tired to care =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Samantha, thanks for commenting...as the resident comedienne, I'm flattered you found me funny :)

    Lydia, Meals says he's flattered you want to talk about him all day. HAHAHA!! But really, we all know you were born in the wrong era...you would have made a great Regency lady :)

    Mageela, that's hilarious! Well said! LOL!

    Thanks, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jerrica -

    Tell Meals that he's HILARIOUS! I so needed that laugh!

    ReplyDelete