Our Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Rejected Today Sold Tomorrow-Part Two


“There’s nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein.” Walter Wellesley Smith

Like many of you, I sit at my computer every day and open up my heart, my soul, my vein and I write. I write because I love it. I write because I have a million stories in my head driving me crazy. I write because it is like breathing, talking, or walking. A writer is who I am and it is what I love. It took me thirty-eight years, three college degrees and one stint in law school to figure out all I wanted to be when I grew up was writer.

When you put everything you are into something and then send it out to a contest, agent or editor in the hope that they will love your manuscript, it is very hard to wait. I’m the worst at the waiting game. At the end of today the wait will be over for everyone who entered the Golden Heart. When you rest your head on your pillow tonight, you’ll either be a finalist or not. If you’re a finalist then we will all celebrate your success with you because each and everyone one of us writers knows how hard you have worked.

If you’re not a finalist, this is not the end. Do not make the mistake of thinking just because you didn’t final you’re writing is awful and you should throw away your computer. Drown in self pity tonight, but tomorrow get out of bed, go to your computer and keep writing. Send out your non-finaling manuscript to more agents, editors and contest, and then you need to write new pages on new stories.

"Victory is the sweetest when you've known defeat." Malcolm Forbes

Get back in the arena! Remember just because you didn’t final in the Golden Heart does not mean your road is at an end. Here are a few reasons to keep traveling down that dusty road.





The story of their successes:

Jennifer McAndrews w/a Gwen Roman
http://www.gwenroman.com/
THE TRAIL OF THE TUDOR ROSE – Fall 2010

“Prior to this year, I had only entered Golden Heart once. During that preceding summer, I was deep into the drama of "should I quit writing?". To force myself to finish the novel I was working on, I entered the GH. I hate to waste money! so I knew I'd have to finish that book. Finished it, polished it, and was really quite proud of it... but it didn't final. I got some pretty decent scores, but not good enough. At the time I thought, well, it kept me writing and that was the important thing. Fast foward to...oh, maybe two weeks ago? That very same manuscript that failed to final in the GH is now under contract with Wild Rose Press. My non-finalist has become my foot in the door. And I can honestly say, if it wasn't for entering the Golden Heart, I never would have the opportunity I have now.”

Erica Ridley
http://www.2wicked2kiss.com/

“My March 2010 release, Too Wicked To Kiss, did not get The Call in the GH, but a few months after the National conference, I did get a call that my agent had sold it in a 2-book contract to Kensington. Although it didn't make the cut insofar as a contest nod, it is a book club pick for B&N this month, as well as a book club book on the Eloisa James / Julia Quinn boards this year, so I can't complain!”

Vicky Dreiling
HOW TO MARRY A DUKE, Coming from Grand Central January 2011!
http://www.vickydreiling.blogspot.com/

“Years ago, my first manuscript finaled in the GH. I was so excited - it truly is a wonderful honor & certainly helped me get requests. But not only did I not win, my full manuscript got tons of rejections. I wrote a great three chapters. The rest was a convoluted stew. I ended up doing a massive rewrite for an editor w/out promise of contract. I was too new and didn't have a firm grasp of craft. Needless to say, the editor rejected the book. Fast forward a few years. My second manuscript did well in some regional contests (but not all by any means). I entered the GH twice and never finaled. But I sold that book. HOW TO MARRY A DUKE is slated for publication in January 2011. The GH is a great honor and a great opportunity. But if you don't final, just remember my story. May the magic romance fairies be with all of you.”

Anne Marsh
http://www.herfallenangel.com/
THE HUNT, Dorchester Love Spell, Available now!
BOND WITH ME, Dorchester Leisure, September 2010

"I entered the GH contest two years ago and scored in the bottom 25% with my baby. No cigar. Not even close. Fortunately, I was sitting on a beach in Moorea (wifi in the beach bar!) when I realized that I hadn't got the call-- so I had a Maitai to go with my tears. Six months later, I had an agent and an offer on another book. That first book, though, my poor GH reject... that book will be released in September 2010 from Dorchester as BOND WITH ME."


All day today, as I see finalist names appear, I will update it on this blog. Below, you will find a list of the GH categories. I’d love to hear from finalist and those who don’t final. We are all in this crazy writing journey together, so let’s enjoy the ride.

Have a wonderful day,
Julie Johnstone, the Marchioness of Mayhem



Golden Heart Finalist by Category

Contemporary Series Romance: Suspense/Adventure
Kimberly Ann Howe, BREATHLESS
Tina Joyce, WANTED: DEAD
Rochelle Staab, HOLLYWOOD HOODOO
Angela Platt, SEE JANE RUN
Contemporary Single Title
Nan Dickens, STEELE HEARTS
Elizabeth Bermis, FOR LOVE OR MONEY
Laura Graham Booth, SHARING SPACES
Hope Ramsey, RULES OF THE ROAD
Lizbeth Selvig, SONGBIRD
Gayle Sharp, WHO WANTS TO MARRY A COWBOY
Paula Stelluto, THREE LITTLE WORDS
Carolyn Ann Whitecarver, SEATTLE'S BEST
Historical Romance
Gail Zerrade, OVERLANDER ***Woo hoo! One of our Lady Scribes!!!! We are all thrilled.
Jessica Ann Darago, THE SERPENT'S TOOTH
Mary Lawrence, IN LONG FELLOW'S KEEP
Jennifer Jakes, RAFE'S REDEMPTION
Linda Bailey, WILD FLOWER
Jacqui Nelson, BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL
Alison Atwater, GOOD TIMIN' MAN
Elizabeth Burke, THE HEALER
Inspirational Romance
Cynthis J. Eermisse Chase, UNFORGIVEN
Keli Gwyn, VIOLETS AND VIOLINS
Kristin Leigh Wallace, HERE COMES THE WEDDING PLANNER
Novel with Strong Romantic Elements
Gabrielle Luthy, THE LAKE EFFECT
Jane Sevier, FORTUNE'S FOOL
Maureen McGowan, SWITCHING SIDES
Lisa Connelly, THE SINNER
Jean Willett, RESCUING REMBRANDT
Christine Kenniston, WHEN THE BOUGH BREAKS
Patricia O'Dea Rosen, A PLACE AT THE TABLE
Barbara Binns, DAMAGED GOODS
Paranormal Romance
Donnell Epperson, GLORIOUS MISFORTUNE
Katrina Shaw, THE PERFECT ADVENTURE
A.N. Conway, SOMETHING WICKED
Kylie Griffin, BOOK ONE IN THE LIGHT BLADE SERIES
Morgan Karpiel, THE DIVINE GATE
J. Keely Thrall, HONOR BOUND
Sharon Lynn Fisher, SHADOWED
Robin Weaver, ANCIENT SKILLS
Regency Historical Romance
Aurora Grace, HER HUSBAND'S HARLOT
Robyn Enlund, A WHIFF OF SCANDAL
Gillian Lange, TO SEDUCE A PROPER ROGUE
Elise Beatty, A MOST IMPROPER GENTLEMAN
Michelle Snow, SWEET ENEMY
Elizabeth Stock, MY DEAREST ROGUE
Romantic Suspense
Donnell Ann Bell, DEADLY CALM
Lena Diaz, HE KILLS ME, HE KILLS ME NOT
Kendra Elliot, STRONGER THAN BONE
Linda Lovely, COUNTERFEIT
Greta MacEachern, DANGEROUS SUMMER
G. Jillian Stone, THE YARD MAN
Sharon Brenna Wray, MIDNIGHT GUARDIAN
Kenneth Zak, THE POET'S SECRET
Young Adult Romance
**Jennifer McAndrews, SPELLING AND GLAMOUR** Jennifer was on of my GH stories, but today she got the call on another manuscript!
Vanessa Barnveld, GHOST RIDDEN
Kimberly Eve MacCarron, SQUEEZE THREE TIMES
Shea Berkley, SHATTERED
Shelley Correll, BLOOM
Shelley Correll, WELCOME CALLER THIS IS CHLOE
Carey Denise Corp, THE HALO CHRONICLES: THE GUARDAIN
Erica Daniel O'Rourke, UNCHOSEN
Contemporary Series Romance
Tina Joyce, CAUGHT BENEATH THE MISTLETOE
Nancy Holland, GAMES WITHOUT RULES
Laurie Kellog,HONEY I'M HOME
Cara McKenna, THE RELUCTANT NUDE
Mary Oldham, LAURA TAKES A LOVER
Cat Schield, FAKE FIANCE, REAL LOVER
Paula Stelluto, THE MAGIC MAN
Joleen Kiesner James, HOMETOWN STAR


6 comments:

  1. Julie, these examples are wonderful, as always. Thanks for rounding them up and sharing them with us! And it will be exciting to check back throughout the day to find the names of GH finalists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Julie, for another round of uplifting stories. I love this perfectly timed series. It helps to put everything in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the risk of sounding very corny, I think everyone who entered Golden Heart is a winner. Completing a manuscript is a big deal, and to have someone else judging your work takes courage. Congratulations to all the writers who entered as well as the finalists. Can't wait to check back throughout the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And may I add how very inspirational these stories are? I love them. Gives me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stories are inspirational and I agree with Samantha that everyone who completed a manuscript is a winner! It is exciting to see the names of those who got the call as this post is updated.

    ReplyDelete