Our Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Finding the time to . . . Read!


The Duchess of Decency’s Perspective

We are all authors, but before we followed our passion to write, we read. But, for every minute we write there is one less minute we can escape into the world another person created. I used to go through four or five books a week. I am lucky to read one book a month now. My typical day is work (full time outside the home), three children, a husband, writing, blogging, etc. I can barely keep my eyes open at night when I do relax. Often, I will start reading a book and barely get two pages read before my eyelids start to close. It could be the most riveting book ever written and I would be falling asleep. Such is my life at the moment.

My to-be-read stack was growing by the day because I know I will get to these books, as soon as I have time. That time hasn’t happened. Then, the answer came by way of audio book. I don’t know why I never tried them before. They are wonderful. The moment I am in my car the book is turned on and I don’t care who is there. And what is exciting, is I am able to continue with a series I started, The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig. Right now I am listening to the third book, The Deception of the Emerald Ring, and the next in line, The Seduction of the Crimson Rose, is waiting patiently somewhere near the passenger seat in my car. It makes me wish my commute was longer.

Mistress of Adventure's Perspective

Once a month I owe myself a lazy day - usually a Saturday or Sunday - and I take the whole day to do nothing but lay on the sofa or bed and read. I even lug my novel into the bath with me. It's my pampering day for a whole month's worth of stress. I love that the hubby will watch the kids and take care of things for me while I "relax" for a day. I just finished Sandra Hill's My Fair Viking. I have the second book in the series but I'm not so sure I'll read it. We'll see.

Countess of Controversy

If I'm waiting, I'm reading. I read in my car while I wait for my daughter to get out of school or finish her after-school activities. I read while I wait for the kids at the orthodontist or the doctor's office. I read while I wait for people to show up at meetings.

I just started reading Nefertiti by Michelle Moran. I picked it because I like historical fiction with unusual settings. I also read a lot outside the romance genre. Jonathan Kellerman is a favorite. Oddly enough, I read more non-fiction than fiction.

Baroness Blithe's Perspective

I'm a full time student, in addition to working part time and trying to find time to write. Not only am I a student, but I'm an English major. Which means I have to read a lot. Most of the reading I do is for the classes I'm taking: the classics of British and American literature, the poetry of Keats and Shelley and Burns, the Greek plays, the odd non-fiction book, and of course Shakespeare. With everything that's on my plate, I have to read for fun, too. I used to avoid it, because I was afraid I'd get lost in a book and not be able to put it down, and then I'd end up not doing something I should have done because of my latest adventure. These days, I try to read one chapter at night. Sometimes I can't stop at one chapter. Right now is one of those times. I'm reading A Certain Wolfish Charm by our very own Lydia Dare. Next in line is Seducing an Angel by Mary Balogh.

Marchioness of Mayhem's Perspective

I don't have much time to read with my busy schedule, but I would almost rather read than do anything else with my freetime. I have always loved to read starting as far back as I can remember with the Hardy Boy books, Sweet Vally High Romances, and Little Women. In highschool, I went through a horror stage and read every single Stephen King book I could get my hands on. From there I found many writers I loved and still love to this day such as Clavell, Tolstoy and Hemingway. My senior year of college I was at my father's lake house and one night I couldn't sleep. I picked up one of my stepmother's books, Ransom, by Julie Garwood. I was hooked on historical romances from the first page, and I've never turned back. I was also hooked on late night reading. When do I read? Usually I read late at night or sometimes if I'm very lucky in the bathtub! I just finished King of Torts by John Grisham, Now, I'm reading The Devil's Broker by Frances Stonor Saunders, and I am also reading one of my all time favorite books, War and Peace by Tolstoy.

Countess of Whismy's Perspective

I rediscovered audio books this past week. Today I finished Amanda Quick's Wicked Widow. I enjoy a good mystery and there was something very pleasing about listening to someone else reading the story. In fact, I began to read my own chapters out loud as I edit to give me a sense of flow. I also found myself immersed in the world Ms. Quick created.

Audio books allow me to "read" while I'm driving, which I do a lot of in my other job. I listened to the ending of Wicked Widow tonight as I cooked dinner and finished up laundry. I guess it indulges that part of me that feels I must accomplish as much as possible in a day to feel satisfied with my progress, at least on work days.

I'm not sure what I'll read next, but I have a Jodi Picoult audio book I may start tomorrow. Or maybe I'll browse the shelves of the library. I'd also like to get to Sherry Thomas' books after Private Arrangements, which I loved. I didn't want to stop reading it, but it was 2 am and I had to go to bed.

That is what we are reading, when and how. What about? Are you reading (or listening to) a good book, or is there one you would recommend we add to our to-be-read piles? And, do you find it hard to find time to read?

3 comments:

  1. I'm bummed I missed out on adding my perspective, but I'll just go ahead and do it here...

    Her Grace of Grammar's Perspective

    I never get to read anymore :( It's very sad. But I spend my awake hours looking after my 4-month-old princess or hopefully writing. Like Amy, by the time I get to relax in the evening, I can barely keep my eyes open. I do always have a book handy, though, just in case I can grab a moment...and that's usually in the bathroom ;) Right now I'm reading the second book in the Evernight Series, Stargazer. My hubby and I are really into teen vampire romances ever since Twlight, and this one has a fun twist to it. I'm about halfway through, and I'm sure I'll finish it one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good topic!

    The only really quiet time to read is either when I'm in the bath, or just before the lights go out. Sometimes, when I take the bus or train somewhere, I take a book. Even when we go somewhere for a long weekend I bring a book or my ebook reader with me - I might find half an hour to chill. And it's even trickier trying to keep up with reviews.

    I love reading but lately this lovely pastime has been pushed to the edges of my daily life.

    Oh, to be a lady of leisure... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this article and also the
    rest of the website is also very good.

    Also visit my site :: home business

    ReplyDelete