Our Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Make New Friends, but Keep the Old . . .

Remember those lines? I don’t remember the name of the song, but I remember singing it with my Brownie troop eons ago. But those words still apply today. More specifically, they apply to this past weekend when I attended the Chicago North RWA Spring Fling with Lydia Dare, Samantha Grace and Erin Kelly from my critique group. We were already making friends before the conference even started, two of them being Keri Smith and Heather Snow (a Fire and Ice and a GH Finalist). The only thing I would have changed was to have the rest of the critique group with us. On Friday morning we checked in to the conference and were given our bag of materials. Inside were a couple of free books. (This is always one of my favorite parts – who doesn’t love a free book?) Well, while I am digging into my bag, Samantha pops up with “Lydia, I got your book”. Turns out, I did too. Erin wasn't so lucky, but she did get the second release later that day. I was a bit jealous over that one. Guess I will have to hit the bookstore.

Pictured: Amy De Trempe, Lydia Dare, Erin Kelly (center front), Samantha Grace

The workshops were fantastic, and the headliners Cherry Adair and Julia Quinn were awesome (as if that would be a surprise). When I needed a break because my brain was about to explode from information overload, I strolled into the bookstore and was really excited to see my book displayed next to Lydia’s.The first day ended about as perfectly as any day could end – a Chocolate Reception. Those ladies in Chicago really know what they are doing. Saturday included more workshops, and my first book signing as well as Lydia’s.
Amy and Lydia at the book signing

The day and conference ended with dinner and an awards ceremony where we got to see our new friend, Heather Snow, win the Fire and Ice Award for Historical Romance. All in all, it was a fantastic weekend. It was the first time I was able to attend the Spring Fling, but I doubt I will miss it again.

15 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous!! It sounds like you guys had such a great time! Nationals is going to be epic!!! Glad you all had so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I really wish I'd been able to be there! Looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a wonderful time. Or, at least I did. I can hardly wait for Nashville. And, I do know I will be returning to the Chicago North Spring Fling again. It was a great conference and I met so many people. I could go on and on, but I won't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful day! Makes me want to go to a conference. I'll have to check the upcoming offerings...

    For some reason we never sang that song in Brownies or Girl Scouts, but my Mom used to sing it and tell us about her Girl Scout days. Brings back good memories.
    Have a blessed day,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, we are all claiming to be the cute girl in the middle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww!!!So much fun! I'm pretending I'm in the picture too (in my head).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am soo jealous too, I wish I could've gone!!! It sounds like soo much fun! Beautiful pictures too. Glad everyone is back and that things went so well for you ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy,

    Sounds like it was a great time. Wish I could have been with you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just have to chime in and say to Samantha...You're ALL the cute girl!! You guys look fab! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Jerrica - you ladies are all beautiful! As for the conference, it was absolutely wonderful. Meeting Amy and Samantha for the first time was just awesome. I am thrilled to have a signed copy of both Amy and Lydia's books. I can't wait to meet more of my critique partners at Nationals!
    I do, however, think that I need to start getting extra sleep now since I know I will not get a wink at the conference :)
    Erin Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  11. My friends you all look wonderful! So fantastic you had a great time and enjoyed the Spring Fling. The Aussie crit group member would have loved to be there too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, Heather, we did get a New Zealander...
    :) Hopefully we'll see you stateside before too long!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I'm so late to comment. I had to get over my jealousy at not being there. You all look great. Watch out Nationals, here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You ladies made my conference! Yes, winning the historical category of the Fire and Ice was lovely, but making new friends absolutely took the cake.

    Can't wait to see you again at Nationals :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heather,
    What a pleasure to meet you, too. How lucky we were to meet up on that first night. Can't wait to see you at Nationals. :)

    ReplyDelete