Our Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Samantha's Garden


Does your garden have a history? When we moved into our 1950s house six years ago, we inherited a huge yard and flower garden. We own almost two acres, which is unheard of within the city limits. Unfortunately, we also inherited tons of work for which my husband and I were sadly unprepared.

We've since bought the right tools and we're making progress, but my husband periodically threatens to mow over all the flowers and be done with it. I'm adamantly against taking this action, because I think about the woman who lived here before us and all the loving care she put into planting everything. Clearly at one time, there was a plan. But in the years after her death, her husband couldn't keep it up so the gardens were neglected.

Aside from recognizing the effort the former owner put into these gardens, I have additional knowledge that gives me pause. I met her best friend a couple of years ago, quite by accident, and learned a lot about Audrey, the lady with the green thumb. One of those things I learned was she had a daughter who died when she was a teenager. The back gardens were planted as a memory garden for her daughter. When I'm out there admiring the flowers, I often think of this young woman I never knew and her mother's love for her. What a great tribute to make to a lost loved one. That's all the motivation I need to keep the gardens thriving.



Here are more photos of what's growing and blooming this week. Does anyone know what the purple flower below is called? It suddenly popped up this year.




















8 comments:

  1. Samantha,

    LOVE your garden! And, I think the story behind it is wonderful and I applaud you for keeping up the tradition.

    Our family is starting on a new adventure this summer. We're moving to Cabot. We're looking at houses right now and the house we like the best has 5 acres and lots of amazing landscaping. I'm very excited about this. I've decided in my "new life" I'm going to garden. I'm giving up all of my drama-filled responsibilities of volunteering/women's organizations for the solitude & emotional therapy of getting my hands dirty!

    You may remember that both my mother and grandmother are wonderful gardeners so I'm going to channel my inner-green thumb!

    May the beauty of your garden add to the beauty of your life! Bloom where you're planted!

    Love ya! Miss ya!
    Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story, beautiful pictures! Thanks for posting this, Samantha1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I wish I had a home of my own to make the attempt to grow something. However I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have a green thumb. I'm a little short on patience sometimes lol.

    I love the story of the garden Michelle, and you've inspired a little story for me to write. =) I'll jot down the idea for later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Commemorating life with life - it's a beautiful thing. I am so glad you could carry on with the upkeep of such a wonderful garden. I hope that it gives you as much joy as my garden gives me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story, Michelle! And how wonderful that you're keeping this woman and her memories alive by tending to something she cared so much about. The garden is lovely, and I have no idea what that flower is. LOL!

    Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait! I found it for you - I believe it's a cornflower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy,
    I hope you'll post pictures of your new place. I remember how nice your mom's yard was, especially the patio area.

    Thanks for all the other comments, Ladies. A cornflower? I'll have to look it up so I can compare. It's a beautiful flower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love gardens, but my thumb is as purple as they get. My mother bought me a garden stone last year and when I opened the gift, I couldn't help the laughter as the saying was so true:

    "I tried, but it died."

    ReplyDelete