Our Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Inspiration Monday: the Temple Church


I have to start by apologizing for posting this so late in the day, but I have a very good excuse. My critique group got into a heated debate over real mashed potatoes vs. instant mashed potatoes. I have to admit, I am my father's child, and I inherited his love for instant. I hate lumps, and no matter how many people have told me "Oh, MY mashed potatoes don't have lumps!", they still have lumps. Instant are guaranteed to be smooth and creamy, and to me, when made with milk, butter and covered in turkey gravy, they taste the same. So that's my horrible excuse for being late today.

However, I would love to share some inspirational pictures from my trip to London a few years ago. My husband and I had an amazing time, and we have close to a thousand pictures and 4 hours of video footage. I won't post all thousand pictures today, but I'll post chronologically over my next few blogs. We started with a trip to the Temple Church. Hopefully, the pics will get your imaginations working and inspire you to get writing...or reading :)

Courtesy of Wikipedia...

The Temple Church is a late 12th century church in London located between Fleet Street and the River Thames, built for and by the Knights Templar as their English headquarters. In modern times, two Inns of Court (Inner Temple and Middle Temple) both use the church. It is famous for its effigy tombs and for being a round church. It was heavily damaged during the Second World War but has been largely restored. The area around the Temple Church is known as the Temple and nearby is Temple Bar and Temple tube station, all derive their name from the church.


We're on our way!


This is part of Middle Temple

Our tour guide, but he totally looks like a monk!




To the left and right you can see the effigy tombs.




Close up of the effigies...well, as close as we could get :)

The exterior...



You may recognize this door...it was used in the Da Vinci Code!

This isn't part of the church, but it's directly across from it...
I just love this shot!


Next time I'll take you to Westminster and Harrods! Hope you enjoyed today's tour!
-Jerrica, Her Grace of Grammar







13 comments:

  1. What fantastic pictures. Thanks for sharing, Jerrica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Pictures. I want to go to London soooo bad. I am starting a similar series on Thursday (July 1st) as part of a Paris in July challenge. I am going to be revisiting my trips to Paris and what I did each day. I can't wait to see more of London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! My sister and I did not have nearly enough time in London to do any real sight-seeing, so I am looking forward to going back someday soon and seeing all the things I missed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two smokin' hot people sitting by a "No Smoking" sign? You two are such rebels!! ;)

    The pictures are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    Oh, and Betty Crocker Butter and Herb pototoes rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

    Samantha, I'm so going to have to try those! Thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love pics like this. I hope you post more. I don't think I'll ever get to England...so I live through pics. (grins)

    As for the first topic...I like mashed potatoes. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Phyllis! And don't say that! You just may get to go one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the picks. They're beautiful. But I have to disagree about the potatoes. Real are better. I cook mine all day in the crock pot, then add milk, butter, salt, pepper and blend them right there in the pot. Since they're slow cooked all day...NO lumps. And they taste roasted. And stay warm inside the crock pot, even when I'm serving buffet style on Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, Lilly, now THAT'S an idea! I don't think I've ever had crockpot mashed potatoes. I'll try them and reassess :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jerrica these photos are fabulous. I love visiting historic churches. The windows, in particular, always seem to draw my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jerrica,

    Very cool pics!! I can't wait to see the rest of your trip over the coming weeks.

    As for the instant potatoes - so gross. I can't even believe we've been discussing this all day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Jerrica! Absolutely beautiful! I'd love to go London some day...some day I will. I hope anyway.

    As far as potatos, they all taste the same to me... *shrugs* What's the difference? lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Catherine! There's something special about the stained glass at this particular church, and if I ever dig up my notes, I'll tell you what it is. LOL!

    Jodie, LMAO!

    Melissa, YAY! I agree about the potatoes :)

    Thanks for stopping by, everybody! I'm so glad you enjoyed the pics!

    ReplyDelete