Our Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

And the Award Goes to . . . .

I was lucky enough to be with Lydia, Jerrica, Clarissa and Samantha in Orlando for the RWA National Conference. I am so glad I took detailed notes in the workshops I attended because there is no way I could remember everything I learned. Or at least think I learned. I am not even sure of my own name at the moment.

For each of us it was a successful ande wonderful conference, and all for different reasons because we are in such different places in our careers at the moment. However, I must say the best part was being able to spend time with Lydia, Clarissa, Jerrica and Samantha, as well as Erin from our critique group and other friends we have made along the way.

The highlight of every RWA Conference is the Golden Heart and Rita Awards. I have not made it to the awards in the past because usually I am so tired by then and my plane always leaves at a horribly early hour. This year I had to get on the shuttle back to the airport at 5:20 a.m. Have I mentioned I am not a morning person? Well, I am not.

This year, I did attend the award ceremony and excited for it. Clarissa was nominated for a Golden Heart for her book, Overlander. I absolutely love this story. Also nominated was Heather Snow, who a number of us met at the Chicago North Spring Fling. Finally, I was also hopeful for Keli Gwyn, nominated in the inspirational category. I’ve followed Keli’s blog for awhile now and it was a pleasure to finally meet her face to face in Orlando.

Everyone in the room was rooting for someone evidenced by the cheers when a name was announced. While I am thrilled for the winners, I was disappointed when the three I was hopeful for didn’t take home the prize. Still, to make it to such an elusive list is a major achievement and congratulations should go to each and every author listed.

In case you haven’t heard, here are the winners from the 2010 RWA Conference

Golden Heart:
Erica O’Rourke, Unchosen, Young Adult Romance
CJ Eernisse Chase, Unforgiven, Inspirational
Elise Beatty, A Most Improper Gentleman, Regency Historical
Kylie Griffin, Bloodborn: Book One in the Light Blade Series, Paranormal Romance
G. Jillian Stone, The Yard Man, Romantic Suspense
Lizbeth Selvig, Songbird, Contemporary Single Title Romance

Rita
Simone Elkeles, Perfect Chemistry, Young Adult Romance
Tamara Alexander, The Inheritance, Inspirational Romance
Barbara O’Neal, The Lost Recipe for Happiness, Novel with Strong Romantic Elements
Molly O’Keefe, The Christmas Eve Promise, Romance Novella
Beth Andrews, A Not-So-Perfect Past, Contemporary Series Romance
Cindy Dees, The Soldier’s Secret Daughter, Contemporary Series Romance Suspense/Adventure
Sherry Thomas, Not Quite a Husband, Historical Romance
Julie Quinn, What Happens in London, Regency Historical Romance
Kresley Cole, Kiss of a Demon King, Paranormal Romance
Laura Griffin, Whisper of Warning, Romantic Suspense
Kate Brady, One Scream Away, Best First Book
Kristan Higgins, Too Good to Be True, Contemporary Single Title Romance

The Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award was given to Debbie Macomber.

Congratulations to all these winners

9 comments:

  1. I knew two people that were GH finalists, but neither won (they're still winners to me though).

    And I blogged about Kate Brady's book a couple months back. It was exciting to see she won Best first book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words on Overlander. It was such a thrill to finally meet everyone in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us, Amy. And I'm sad that Clarissa didn't take it home, but I have to give a huge CONGRATULATIONS to G. Jillian Stone for her win! That's a major accomplishment, Jill. I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had such an amazing time, and it was so nice to see all of my virtual crit group ladies in the flesh :) A huge congratulations to all the finalists for Golden Heart and Rita, as well as to the winners. My blog tomorrow will outline my adventures in Orlando as I experienced my very first conference.
    Now back to the real world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great line-up of winners. Congrats all! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to all the winners and runners up. It's such an acheivement to make it that far so I'm still very thrilled for Clarissa! We are all very proud of her.

    And I am so glad everyone had such a wonderful time and made it home safely. Well we're still waiting on our own Samatha to check in with us. But while we wait, I must say it was sooo boring without our very active crit members and I had maybe a total of ten emails all week. =( LOL so glad it's active again! You all were missed by those of us left at home. Hopefully, next year we can all attend. I certainly am going to make an effort to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to winners and runners up. Like you said, a great achievement just to be on the list. Sounds like you had a good time - hope you're back to your not-morning-person routine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog, Amy! And I was so glad to spend time with you too! Hopefully, it won't be another year before I'll get to see you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, what a delight it was to meet you in person.

    I was thrilled for the inspirational GH winner. CJ Eernisse Chase has finaled six times. I think it was her turn to take home some bling. :)

    ReplyDelete