Our Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Fiction Come to Life!


It's hard to believe it's only been a week since we returned from our trip to Orlando. We primarily went so that I could attend the Romance Writers of America National Convention. And indeed, it was a wonderful time! But that wasn't the only thing that drew us to Orlando this summer. Several years ago, when my husband and I heard about the Wizarding World of Harry Potter that would be opening at Universal in the summer of 2010, we said we didn't care how we got there, we were definitely going to be there for the opening. Well, that determination waned a bit with the new baby and the knowledge that Nationals would be in Nashville this summer. But when we found out it was being moved to Orlando, well, I can't say we were disappointed.

Harry Potter is a series that I was thrilled to be able to see on screen...but to be able to go to Hogsmead! To have dinner at the Three Broomsticks! To shop for wands and broomsticks and drink butterbeer! Let's just say we were on cloud nine...and don't even get me started on the main attraction, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. You actually have to go through Hogwarts to get to the ride, and WOW! It's unbelievable! Believe me when I say you will not be disappointed with this one-of-a-kind ride!

So join me as I take you through the highlights of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter...

Once you walk through the gates, you are greeted by the Hogwarts Express...


But that doesn't hold your interest long as you are immediately struck by how massive the "world" is! Layers of buildings, covered in snow, loom before you...


The attention to detail is what makes this place so incredible! They even made the chimneys topsy-turvy!

As you make your way down the main street, you happen upon all the necessary shops you might need to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry...


Ollivanders for your wand, of course...

The Owl Post, where you can choose your magical pet...

Honeydukes, in case you need a special treat for those late nights studying divination...

No one could resist going in if they looked through the windows!

And yes, they have real cauldron cakes...

And Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans!

And don't forget to stop by Dervish and Banges for all your Quidditch needs!


If you get thirsty, there are plenty of vendors with delicious butterbeer to sell...


Or perhaps you're hungry...then you must pop into the Three Broomsticks for some fish & chips!

Once you're fed and stocked up for school, it's time to head up the hill to Hogwarts...

And make sure you visit Hagrid in his hut when you ride the Flight of the Hippogriff!

And once you've ridden all the rides and seen all you can see of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, it's time to head off into the sunset and reminisce on what a magical day you've had...

I hope you've enjoyed the photo tour of Harry Potter World! Now what about you? Is the Wizarding World of Harry Potter a place you'd like to visit? What other books/series would you love to see brought to life in this manner?


17 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness!! I am so ready to go! I live in North Florida now but we haven't had the chance to go visit it yet -- we are hoping to go in the fall. I am so excited! These pictures are great, and it looks like you had pretty fantastic weather (albeit hot?) for your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness! I wish we were that close...I would be there all the time! LOL! Please stop by and let me know what you thought once you get to go. And yes, it was sunny, but painfully hot!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooooo jealous that you go to go see it. I've been re-reading all of the Harry Potter books lately and am just amazed by how rich the world Rowling created is. To see it brought to life in front of my own eyes? I'd probably be in heaven.

    Maybe one of these days I'll get to take my nephew to visit it. At two and a half, he's already a Harry Potter fan. He loves the movies. Especially the dragons and hippogriffs and flying broomsticks. He tells me he's going to play Quidditch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, just incredible. I hope one day I can go see it as well, it just looks so magical. My kids would love it even if they are mostly grown now. They grew up on Harry Potter, I can remember watching it ten times a day. lol.

    Thanks for sharing Jerrica!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine and Melissa, thank you for stopping by! I truly hope you both get the opportunity to go one day. It's spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the wonderful pictures, Jerrica. You made us feel like we were there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed, Clarissa! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post! We used to live near Disney World, but it's grown so much since we left. My husband and I are both Harry Potter fans, so we would love to see this theme park.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caroline, it's definitely a must see! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to admit I'm not a Harry Potter fan (ducks quickly), but I'm thrilled for those of you who ARE, that you have your own world to experience. The detail is really incredible.

    I went to a colonial re-enactment thing yesterday, and for me, it was similar to what you felt. I was swooning at all the soldiers with their tight breeches and over-the-knee boots. I would love to go to "Regency World" if it's ever invented --LOL-- but until it is, this was the closest I could get. :) And it was lots of fun. I hope the pics come out half as well as yours did (I also hope there are pics of something besides sexy boots!)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! I so wish I'd been able to do it with you. Love the pictures. I'm SOOO jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If only it were winter, then I would have gone ;) Looks wonderful, and sounds like a great time! Now if only butterbeer did not sound so utterly disgusting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Donna, I think I'd be excited for a Colonial reenactment as well. I love Williamsburg, though I haven't been there since I was a little girl. I think that would be a pretty great trip :)

    Lydia, you SHOULD be jealous! LOL! It was fab!

    Erin, I know...OMG...it was SO hot! But I wouldn't have missed it for the world. And butterbeer is just cream soda...not disgusting at all :)

    Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. The details are amazing. Must have been thrilling to step into this imaginary world. Was the snow weird given the horrible heat?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Samantha, as a matter of fact, YES! It was so strange! I kept saying they should pump cold air through the village. How wonderful that would have been! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Green is such a horrible color on me. Lol. I love everything Harry Potter. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL, Heather...it took me a minute to get the joke! In my defense, I'm reading this at 7am :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete