Our Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Stuffed Zucchini Recipe


A neighbor of mine mentioned that her garden grows so much zucchini this time of year she doesn’t know what to do with it. So I thought I would post this Algerian recipe for stuffed zucchini. This is one of those recipes where you can easily substitute or change the quantities depending on what you have on hand. But here’s the basic recipe to get you started.

Ingredients:
1lb beef or lamb, cubed
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, grated
1 Knorr beef bouillon cube
Artichoke hearts, 1 can, unseasoned or equivalent in fresh or frozen
1lb lean ground beef or lamb
3 or 4 fresh zucchini
Lemon juice

Put the cubed meat, olive oil, and grated onion in a 5qt. pot. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook over a medium heat until the meat is browned. Add 2 quarts water and bring to a boil. Stir in the bouillon cube until dissolved. Then lower the heat and cook uncovered on medium low.

If the artichokes are canned, rinse them. Add the artichokes to the simmering pot.

Cut the ends off the zucchini. Then cut the zucchini in half. (see picture) Using a paring knife, or other kitchen utensil, hollow out the zucchini. Lightly season the ground beef with salt and pepper. Stuff the zucchini with the ground beef. Add the stuffed zucchini to the simmering pan.

Make meatballs out of the remaining ground beef and add them to the simmering pan.

Let simmer uncovered on a low heat for 30-45 minutes. Turn the stuffed zucchini from time to time to make sure it is cooked on all sides. The dish is done when the zucchini and meatballs are thoroughly cooked. Add a tablespoon of lemon juice to the sauce before serving.

I hope you enjoy these stuffed zucchini. What is your favorite stuffed vegetable and what do you stuff it with?

5 comments:

  1. Just for clarification--the ground beef that goes into the hollowed out zucchini is still uncooked, correct?

    I'm a huge fan of stuffed mushrooms, though I've never tried to make them. Maybe I'll give it a shot someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an interesting recipe. I don't eat a lot of zucchini but I love vegetables. It was so great to meet you at RWA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds yummy! The only problem: I don't cook. LOL At least not very often (and not very well!) I'll have to pass this recipe along to my BFF since I know she is always looking for new recipes, and then I get to be the official taste tester. :)

    Donna (who is now starving!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy! I'll have to give it a try this week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everybody for stopping by and commenting. Yes, the meat used to stuff the zucchini is raw.

    ReplyDelete