Our Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Romantic Movies I Love

Over Labor Day weekend, one of the cable networks showed movies they loved around the clock. It seems most of the movies they chose were essentially romance, including a hero, a heroine, a character arc, a black moment and a happy ending. When I first started writing, and admitting to it, I stumbled over myself trying to answer the question most everyone seemed to ask me. Why romance? Even I wondered why I had chosen the romance genre.

Well, this weekend of movies made me realize something. As my son says when referencing his video games, romance is my thing. It has been as far back as I can recall. And my love affair with this genre started with one movie, Walt Disney’s “Robin Hood”. I know how odd that sounds, but I was only three or four years old. The romance between Robin and Maid Marian swept me away. At the end of the movie, I simply sat there, hoping beyond hope that there was more. There wasn’t. I was disappointed at the time, but now I love that feeling when you finish a movie or novel and you want to know what happens next. I love a happy ending.

Since there wasn’t more Robin Hood, I had to move on to other romantic movies. Over the years, I’ve developed my own favorites that I can’t pass up when channel surfing. For one of my friends, her favorite go-to movie is “Pride and Prejudice”. She loves the scene where Mr. Darcy is stalking across the field, his great coat flapping out behind him as he hurries toward Elizabeth. That is a great scene.

Here are some of my favorite romantic movies:

Sixteen Candles (The scene where Samantha and Jake are sitting on the dining room table with a birthday cake still makes me misty-eyed.)

Gone with the Wind (Rhett sweeping Scarlet off her feet and carrying her up the staircase is still the greatest.)

The Princess Bride (She throws herself down the hill too when she realizes the pirate is her true love, Wesley.)

Dirty Dancing (Oh, my gosh! Everything about this movie screams romance. No one puts Baby in the corner.)

Bridget Jones’s Diary (Colin Firth. Need I say more?)

The Wedding Singer (A flash back to the 80s, Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler. This combination just does it for me.)

Four Weddings and a Funeral (I absolutely love this movie for so many reasons, especially the ending where they show the photos of how everyone’s life has turned out to be happy.)

French Kiss (Don’t ask me why, but I can watch this movie over and over again. I must like the chemistry between Meg Ryan and Kevin Klein.)

Napoleon Dynamite (I know this isn’t considered a classic romance, but I love the relationships between Napoleon and Deb and Kip and Lafawnduh. And my heart goes out to Uncle Rico who wants to recapture his glory days to win back the love of his life. Then at the end, she rides up on her bike. I just love it!)

What are some of your favorite romantic movies and what is it about them you love?

15 comments:

  1. I adore Pride and Prejudice too, but my favorite part is the very last scene: "Mrs. Darcy, Mrs. Darcy, Mrs. Darcy." sigh :)
    One of my favorite movies ever is Love, Actually, and I can watch it 100 times and still sigh blissfully. Other favorites are Ever After, Cutting Edge, and The Princess Bride (my hubby will occasionally say 'as you wish,' and it always makes me giggle).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my gosh! I forgot Ever After. I love that movie too. Thanks for stopping by Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I could go on and on but my top three of all time are:

    Breakfast at Tiffany's

    It Happened One Night (all that sexual tension, and they never kiss!)

    Cyrano de Begerac--the French version from the 1990s actually prompted my crush on Gerard Depardieu throughout high school

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing everybody's favorite romantic movies!

    I love Notting Hill (especially the press conference scene at the end when she gets her head out of her *ss and realizes what a catch he is -- LOL)

    I also love Strictly Ballroom (they both learn so much from each other, plus it's wicked funny and dancing is always sexy!)

    And Shakespeare in Love is another fave. I haven't watched that in a while. Maybe today's the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah,
    That is so funny that you had a crush on Gerard Depardieu. He is definitely not one I think of as a leading man, but I loved him in "Green Card".

    Donna,
    I've never seen Strictly Ballroom, but now I have to see it. I love dancing and funny, so that sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's see...I need to narrow mine down because I don't want to turn this message into a novel. hahaha I LOVE romance movies. I always have and always will. So you could say romance has always been 'my thing'. (grins) Just off the top of my head, here are my favorites:

    Phantom Of The Opera (first, I LOVE Gerard Butler, and when he did turned my favorite broadway into a movie... I totally love the beauty and the beast type movies / books)

    Pride & Prejudice with Colin Firth. I'm another Firth fan!

    Ever After (I think someone already mentioned this, but I've seen it so many times I have it memorized!)

    Mask of Zorro - gotta love Antonio Banderas, but he plays a very sexy hero! And I adore the romance in the first show.

    Made Of Honor - another one of my favorites. Love the best friends falling in love...

    Beauty & the Beast - the Disney version. (grins)

    The Wedding Planner - another favorite

    The Mummy - I love rugged heroes!!

    Robin Hood - the Hollywood version with Kevin Costner.

    Well...that's all I can think of right now, but believe me, I love soooo many more romance movies. Great topic Samantha!!

    ~Marie~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie,

    You mentioning rugged heroes reminds me of two other movies I love: Raiders of the Lost Ark & Romancing the Stone. I was furious when the second Indie movie had a new love interest and there was no metion of what happened to the girl in Raiders. And no, the final film didn't make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Romancing the Stone! I loved both that one and the second one, and I can't remember the name.

    My inspiration for my love of romance has always been Gone with the Wind.

    Another one I love is Pretty Woman. Richard Gere just stole my heart as well as Julia Roberts. How cute was the scene of her in the bath tub singing and he's watching her? Loved it!

    Umm let's see, Sweet Home, Alabama! How can anyone not love Reese Witherspoon, she is simply the cutest girl I've ever seen.

    The Notebook has become a new favorite of mine. Hubby and I are already planning to die together in each other's arms like that.

    Titantic, How to lose a Guy in Ten days, Pearl Habor, and even though is wasn't really considered a romantic movie, I loved Brave Heart how they portrayed William in love with his wife long after her death, its such a sweet reminder that although your loved one is gone our love for them is not.

    Bridges of Madison County and the forbiddon love affair had me crying for hours.

    Ghost! Loved Patrick Swayze in whatever he did. When Harry Met Sally, You've got mail!Okay I'll stop now, I have too many favorites and I simply cannot choose. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aha now I remember the name of that the Jewel of the Nile, although it wasn't as good as the first one. It was still cute. K, I'm done now LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Cutting Edge - Toe Pick. I love snarky characters

    The Princess Bride - a great fantasy romance

    While You Were Sleeping - It's sweet.

    Sabrina - I like how Sabrina ties Harrison Ford's character in knots.

    The Lake House - It's endearing how across time they talk to each other...and in real time they miss each other. Just don't think too hard about the time paradoxes.

    The Phantom of the Opera - not a strict romance if you read the book. The musical is closer and Susan Kay's Phantom book has a totally different love ending. But I'm partial to love triangles and I love this story.


    Samantha - The Temple of Doom Indy movie is really a prequel. So technically the love interest came before Marion. Which is why Marion wasn't in the movie. But yes, the 4th movie didn't make up for that. 1 and 3 are still my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth,

    How odd that I never realized it was a prequel. LOL. Well, just goes to show series should be linear for those of us who are time challenged. :)

    You are the second one to mention "The Cutting Edge" and "The Phantom of the Opera". I've never seen either of them, but they are both going on my list.

    Melissa,

    Wouldn't we have a great girls' night watching your list of movies? We could have a big bowl of cheese dip and chips and Margaritas. LOL. I'm really getting hungry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mine are Sweet Home Alabama.
    North and South, the ending on the train station.
    A Good Year, the scene at the cafe in the rain under the umbrella and the French music is playing, love that.
    The Proposal.

    There's heaps more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anne,

    I think someone mentioned how can anyone not love Reese, and I agree. Sweet Home Alabama was a great movie. I remember loving North and South, but I haven't seen it in years. And I'm not sure I ever saw "A Good Year". I'll have to check it out. Thanks for stopping by today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Lydia Dare:

    Oh, Samantha! I think my most favorite romantic movie of all time is Casablanca. Anytime it's on, I get sucked right back into the heartbreaking romance.

    And like Sarah said - I adore, adore, adore It Happened One Night. So wonderful. (I even have a book coming out next spring with a play on that title because I love it SOOOO much. There's not much you can do to adapt Casablanca.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favs'
    Inn of the Sixth Happiness
    Love Actually
    Letters to Juilet
    The Matchmaker -set in Ireland yummy!!
    Timeline ( I know kind of wierd)
    Pride and Prejudice ( all of them)
    A Town Called Alice

    to name a few off the top my head.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete