Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Fa, la, la, Blah! – Christmas on a Budget
Posted by Julie Johnstone
Do you have a roof over your head, your personal memories intact, or your health? Do your children have their health, food on the table, clothes to put on their bodies to keep them warm? Can you count one other person that loves you? You are blessed if you can. Don’t you forget it!
I’m not going to give you a lecture on what Christmas is TRULY about, but I bet you can guess what I think. Since Christmas is about giving and not receiving, and we all do love to give no matter if we are broke or not, I want to give you some ideas on how to give cheaply. Do not spend one silly second feeling bad about yourself because you can’t give the expensive, unnecessary commercial gifts that you think you should. Rather than wallow get creative and then you will have the true Christmas spirit within you.
Ten Frugal Christmas Ideas
1. Bake some Christmas treats. Who doesn’t love a basket of baked goods at Christmas!
2. A bottle of wine with an ornament hung around the neck to make it festive.
3. Homemade soaps. Sooo easy, and if I’m saying this, Mrs. Craft-Challenged, then you know it’s true.
4. Homemade coupons. Some suggestions: Free night of babysitting for a friend or relative. A day of helping with yard work for a parent. A backrub for your partner or a homemade dinner of their choice. You get the idea, I’m sure.
5. Kids artwork for grandparents or a collage of family pictures.
6. Gardening gloves with a plant or flower seeds.
7. Basket filled with cheeses, cracker, and sausages or whatever floats your boat.
9. Movie theatre tickets.
10. A new CD
** If you are a writer you could write a poem or story dedicated to someone special.
I hope I have given you a few ideas. I would love to hear some of your frugal Christmas ideas.
Have a great day!
Julie Johnstone, The Marchioness of Mayhem
at 9:03 AM