Our Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

NOW am I allowed to talk about Christmas??

Those who know me know that Christmas starts really early in my house...at least the music does. Around the beginning of October, when the temperature starts to drop, it's the only music I want to listen to. It just makes me feel all warm and cozy inside, and I can't seem to wipe the goofy smile off my face. But I get a lot of flack for my propensity to jump the gun (especially from fellow blogger Amy de Trempe!!) However, now that Thanksgiving is over, I'm pretty sure I'm free to talk about Christmas as much as I want :)

So let's talk music today. I'm always on the lookout for new Christmas albums to add to my already extensive library of classics. This year I've added songs (because I rarely like the whole album) from Naturally 7, Straight No Chaser and the Puppini Sisters.

Until last night, I'd never even heard of Naturally 7. But my amazing hubby swept me off to Madison Square Garden for a birthday surprise. Our tickets were for Michael Buble (who didn't sing a single Christmas tune :( ). He was phenomenal, but I have to admit, I've never been as in awe of a performance as I was of Naturally 7, Buble's opening act. Seven guys from the NY area who not only sing acappella, but they do something called "vocal play." This is where you literally mimic instruments. I think the drummer might be the most impressive, but I also couldn't pick my jaw up from the floor as I watched one guy impersonate a cello, another an electric guitar, bass guitar, harmonica, trombone...seriously, these guys will blow your mind! And they have a really great Christmas album with their R&B takes on classics - Pachelbel's Canon is especially impressive!

As I looked up Naturally 7 on iTunes, Straight No Chaser was suggested as something I might like as well. It's another acappella group and they are phenomenal. They apparently formed more than 12 years ago as students at Indiana, and now they are taking the accappella world by storm. Definitely a great Christmas album to check out. My personal favorites are Christmas Wish and Auld Lang Syne. I also bought Africa, even though it's not Christmas, but who doesn't love a little accappella Toto??

The Puppini Sisters I discovered a few weeks ago. These three girls are the Andrews Sisters reincarnated, and honestly, they give them a run for their money. If I heard them playing in a store, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. They've even affected the recordings to make them sound old! I recommend Mele Kalikilama, Here Comes Santa Clause and Step Into Christmas.

So those are my top picks for Christmas music this year. Who do you love to listen to at the holidays? Do you have any new favorites this year?

7 comments:

  1. My all time favorite Christmas song is the David Bowie/Bing Crosby version of the Little Drummer Boy. I tend to go way more traditional with Christmas tunes. I don't want new versions. I want the same old version I heard as a kid growing up. Call me a fuddy duddy. I don't care. LOL. Not all change is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may now listen to all the Christmas music you like because Thanksgiving is over - LOL. I was so, so, so jealous of your concert experience (saw your husband's facebook message of where he was and struck with envy). Even though I like to wait for the Christmas season for the music ;), I still LOVE Christmas music. Some of my favorites are - Do You Hear What I Hear, Silent Night, O' Holy Night, The First Noel, O Come, O Come, Emmanuel, and What Child is This. Enjoy your music and I think I will be looking up Naturally 7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the Christmas tunes, but a particular favorite is Santa Baby, Eartha Kitt. I find its mercenary undertones (HA!) amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorites are: Little Drummer Boy, Silent Night, Do You Hear What I Hear and Feliz Navidad. I never tire of them, no matter who is doing the signing. Hence, every year I try a new artist's Christmas album. This year, I'm thinking the cast of Glee's Holiday album. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine, I agree - sometimes you just want your old standards. Johnny Mathis is my all time fave! My mom used to play it to wake me up in the mornings starting in October :)

    Amy, Silent Night is the first song I ever sang to Bella - definitely a favorite here :)

    J, Eartha Kitt was fab! Great song!

    Maria, I was a bit disappointed with Glee Christmas. Definitely listen to the samples on iTunes before you buy the whole thing. I'm bummed I didn't do that first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recommendaations. I'm looking for new Christmas music. I love the Brat Pack. A little swing to "Let It Snow" is what I'm talking about, baby.

    But I love the choirs too. "O Holy Night" and "Carol of the Bells" are my favorites. Oh, and Handel's "The Messiah".

    I'm shopping iTunes tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh!it is quite stunning , i like it

    ReplyDelete