Our Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

What are You Thankful For?

Today, in America, it is Thanksgiving, so I thought it only fitting to share a few things I'm thankful for.

I'm thankful for quiet moments where I'm able to hear myself think. All those times lately where it has been anything but have made it all the more clear to me that I should treasure the ones I get.

I'm thankful that my grandmother is beginning to learn her limitations. If she knows what she is capable of, and more importantly, what she is not capable of, then I have to spend less time worrying about her.

I'm thankful that the temperatures are starting to get a little cooler in Texas. Not only does it mean I'm not sweating constantly, but it means lower electric bills.

I'm thankful that the sweetest little three-year-old in the world is my nephew. I'm also thankful that his parents live two blocks away. That means I get to see him as often as I want--and when I've had all I can handle, I can quickly and easily send him home.

I'm thankful that I didn't spend any time in the hospital this year. Last year was enough to hold me over for a while.

I'm thankful that even when it feels like the world might be crumbling in on me, I can always sit down and write. No matter what, I can make it worse on my characters than I have it at the moment. *cue sadistic, maniacal laughter here*

I'm thankful that there are plenty of places around town these days that I can take my laptop that have free wi-fi. Sometimes, I just need a change of scenery.

I'm thankful that I have family and friends all close by, and so there is always someone to laugh with, cry with, gripe about, sneak off to see Harry Potter with, or kidnap for breakfast at dinner time.

What are you thankful for?

2 comments:

  1. I am thankful for the family I grew up in, my husband the the children I was given to raise. The good friends I've acquired over the years and a country where I am free to worship where I choose and I can vote for the people I believe should be in charge. There is actually a really long list, but will leave it at that for the moment. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. My list could be very, very long, so I'll hit the highlights. I'm thankful for my husband, kids and extended family. I'm thankful that my basic needs are met on a daily basis, and I don't live with the worry of how we are going to eat or stay warm. I'm thankful for the support of my friends. I'm thankful for my health and for the health of those I love. I'm thankful for a country that runs well enough to provide good roads; safe health care; great libraries; free education; protection in the form of fire fighters, police and military; safe food, toys and medicines; the right to complain when the government royally screws up... I could go on, but I won't. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete