Our Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

All I Want for Christmas

It is so easy this time of year to get caught up in the spending frenzy, to forget the important things in life while trying to give everyone what they want. Everything seems to turn to who can buy the best gift, who spends the most money, what the big box under the tree has in it and who its for.

In my family this year, though, we aren't going to be able to do that. I haven't had a paying job in a few months. Dad lost his job nearly two months ago. One brother is trying to make ends meet for his family on a single income instead of two. One sister is perpetually trying to keep herself out of the hole.

There aren't going to be many gifts under the tree this year. Though I have to admit, I do have a couple of little things for my nephew. No matter how tight things get, I can't resist spoiling him rotten. These gifts for him, though, came courtesy of a good friend who knew I didn't have the money. I'm crying again just thinking about her generosity.

But all of the difficulties we've been facing have really brought home the point that the gift giving frenzy, the commercial aspects that have become such a part of this season, shouldn't be what it is about.

So here is what I want for Christmas this year. Santa, I hope you're listening.

I want my youngest brother to be safe while he is serving our country in Iraq, and to know that he is loved and missed, even if he can't be with the rest of us.

I want my dad to have hope, to believe that he can still be a great father and grandfather, even if he can no longer do the job he's been doing for so many years.

I want my family to spend time together. We don't have to have gifts under the tree as long as we have each other.

I want my nephew to know that he is the most special little boy in the world, and that I'd do anything for him.

I want my friends to know how much I love and appreciate them.

It wouldn't hurt to get a call that my manuscript has sold. LOL. But I won't hold it against Santa if I don't get that last one.

P.S. Santa, can you do something about my cat that likes to bite my toes while I'm sleeping? That'd be great. Okay, thanks.

~Catherine

So what  is it that you really, truly want for Christmas this year?

***Here at Lady Scribes, we're going on a brief hiatus to enjoy our time with our families. We'll be back to our regular blog schedule on January 3, 2011. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and we'll see you in the new year.***

8 comments:

  1. Very unselfish want list. As a veteran, your brother's saftey hit a soft spot... I prayed for his saftey as well.


    I’ve been following and enjoying your blog for a while now and would like to invite you to visit and perhaps follow me back. Sorry I took so long for the invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine,

    What a lovely list. Very touching. What I really want for Christmas is continued good health for my family and friends. I feel we've been mostly fortunate in my family this last year. I don't want to lose the perspective that each day is a gift and should be used wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Covnitkepr1, and for your prayers. I'll stop by your blog and check it out.

    Samantha, every year of good health...every day, actually...should be treasured. Here's hoping for more of the same in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is an excellent list and I hope Santa delivers everything you ask for, even a sold manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Amy! I doubt I'll get that call on Christmas day, but maybe sometime in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christmas Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful list. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete