Our Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

Decompressing the Holidays!

As the holidays approach, I think it would be a great idea to share some ideas for ways to decompress. This is such a stressful time of year for most of us, and while some might suggest to stop traveling or stop making a big deal out of the holidays altogether, I can tell you that’s never going to happen in my house. I love the holidays. I love the hustle and bustle. And while I might get frustrated or tired with all the preparations I have to do, I don’t think I would have it any other way.
So in the midst of the craziness, I try to find moments for myself. Moments to meditate, stretch, exercise, read…I try to indulge whatever it is my mind or body are craving at the moment. It’s not easy – especially for a Type A person like myself who feels the need to be productive at all times. But perhaps what people like me need to do is view “relaxation” as “productive.” After all, it is the means to the end of sanity, is it not?
We recently picked up a fantastic CD put out by Jerry and Esther Hicks. It’s called “Getting Into the Vortex,” and Esther leads you through several mediations, each of which is 15 minutes long. There’s one for general well being, one for physical well being, financial, and relationships. Lately, I’ve been choosing one a day and listening to it as I take myself through some gentle yoga stretches, always ending with several minutes of savasana. It’s my new, favorite way of relieving stress and tension, and getting myself lined up with the person I want to be.
I’ve also found that getting to bed early and waking up early to read or sift through emails, or bake a batch of muffins, is a nice way to start my day. Much better than waking with a start and rushing to get a bottle ready while the baby cries for me in her crib!
And one of the best things I did for myself recently was stop at the mall’s “Relaxation Station.” Many malls have these chain massage parlors, and they are super cheap. At roughly a dollar a minute, you can be in and out in 30 minutes for a mere $30(-ish). Check your local mall directory to see if you have one!
Okay, enough about me. What are you doing this holiday season to relieve your stress and decompress?

4 comments:

  1. Christmas Movies. We will record old favorties and new ones for 2010 throughout the week and on Saturday or Sunday we will build a fire and my husband and I will watch a couple and do nothing else, except maybe make some popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alone time with a romantic movie (Christmas) or book. And yes, I wake up early just to have a quiet house while I go through emails, post blogs etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm determined not to stress this holiday. :) I've made it my personal mission. I finished my shopping early. I'm not sweating the small stuff about entertaining. I'm trying really hard to not get distracted with new "projects" or "baking items" or "crafts" unless I'm really excited about them and it's fun. It feels like the holidays are a minefield of possible "fun crafts/projects" and I'm trying not do too much so that it becomes a chore.

    Anyway, very rambly. :) Have a great holiday all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... Let's see. Decompressing for the holidays, huh? Can I say spiked eggnog?

    ReplyDelete