Our Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Double Dip at Your Own Risk

It’s the holiday season. Do you know what that means? Parties! And eating. Lots and lots of eating. And perhaps a bit of self-recrimination the next morning. But come on, give yourself a break! It could be worse. It’s not as if you woke up with an “I love Pookie” tattoo on your bum.

At any holiday buffet table, you’ll find me inhaling the dip. I can honestly say I’ve never met a dip I didn’t like. It's my weakness! My only real consolation is that my super-sleek sister-in-law hangs out there with me. (She shares my name and profession, so I call her the new and improved me.) I figure if she can eat dip and still look good, one night of overindulgence isn’t going to hurt me.

Today I’ll share some of my favorite dip recipes I’ve collected over the years. I can't take credit for any of these recipes. They have been handed down to me by family members or given to me by friends. The list is not all-inclusive by any means, but my fellow Lady Scribes impose word limits on me.

Spinach Dip
10 ounce package frozen Spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess water
1 packet Ranch Dip Mix
1 ½ cups Sour Cream
1 cup Mayonnaise
8 ounce can sliced Water Chestnuts, drained
1 loaf Hawaiian Bread

Mix all ingredients, except the bread, together in a bowl. Chill for 2 hours. Hollow out the loaf of bread. Fill the bread bowl with the dip. Cut the hollowed out bread into bite-size pieces and serve alongside the dip. This is good with crackers too.

Cranberry-Brie Spread

1 wedge Brie Cheese
1 can Whole Cranberry Sauce
Crackers of your choice

Place the cheese wedge in an oven-safe dish. Pour cranberry sauce over the top. Bake in a 350 degree oven until the cheese is soft and the cranberry sauce is bubbling. Spread on crackers.

Chocolate Mousse Dip

8 ounces carton Cool-Whip
Approximately 2 tablespoons Nestle Quik drink mix (Add to taste)
Assorted Fruit cut into bite-size pieces

Whisk Cool-Whip and Nestle Quik until smooth. Chill several hours. Serve with fruit.

Artichoke-Feta Dip

1 can Artichoke Hearts, drained and chopped
8 ounces Feta Cheese, crumbled
1 cup Mayonnaise
½ cup Parmesan, shredded
2 ounces jar diced Pimentos, drained
1 Garlic clove, minced

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Transfer to an oven-safe dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until the dip is lightly brown. Serve with mini-pitas or crackers.

Cream Cheese Fruit Dip

8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
1 small jar Marshmallow Cream
Assorted Fruit (apples, grapes, bananas, pears) sliced into bite-size pieces

Place cream cheese and marshmallow cream in a bowl and use a mixer to blend. Chill. Serve with fruit.

What is your holiday buffet weakness? Please feel free to share a favorite recipe.

7 comments:

  1. I just discovered a new weakness last night. I don't think any other sort of sweet bread will ever compare, not now that I've tasted this. It is the holidays in a single bite. Cranberry pumpkin bread. Best. Thing. Ever.

    Here's the recipe: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/libbys-pumpkin-cranberry-bread/Detail.aspx

    We added a few chocolate chips and pecans to the recipe. And I'd suggest adding cinnamon, but I like lots of spice in my breads. But seriously, every bite of this is heaven in your mouth. But then when you hit a bite with the cranberry in it? It just explodes in your mouth. I've never had anything quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow. YUM! I love dip, too. I would linger by the table with you if we were at the same party. I typically alternate eating with rigorous dancing, so hopefully the calories cancel themselves out :)

    I don't really cook, so I'll never make any of these recipes, but I'm salivating just looking at them. Ugh. Now I'm hungry again!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine,
    I love pumpkin bread and this sounds amazing. My mother-in-law is a baker. Maybe I'll pass it on to her and see if she'll make it. LOL.

    Jerrica,
    You would be so fun at a party. I'm a big dancer too. Plus, we could burn extra calories racing each other back to the food table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the spinach dip, Samantha, although I confess, I leave out the water chestnuts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to avoid cooking/baking if I can get away with it. :)

    But I do love a nice queso or a cheeseball. Do you see a theme there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clarissa,
    What? No water chestnuts??? I like the cruch.

    Lydia,
    The great thing about holiday parties is you can bring a bottle of wine as your contribution and still enjoy the cheeseball. No cooking involved!

    ReplyDelete