Our Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Not-So-Secret Santa

My husband has a problem. And no, it’s not me, smarty-pants. He has the hardest time waiting until Christmas to give his gifts. He wants to give them the moment he buys them. I’ve had him walk in the door from shopping and hand me the shopping bag because he couldn’t wait.

An additional complicating factor is that my birthday is around Christmas. It’s today, in fact. So, not only does he have the Christmas gift burning a hole in his pocket, he has to wait to give me my birthday present too. Most years I have nothing to open on my birthday because I’ve already received my gift two days early. Not that it makes much difference, really, but I like to honor the days on the actual dates.

This year my husband was doing a great job of not revealing anything. He and our daughter secreted away to her room to wrap my gifts. I was under strict instructions to stay away, so I did. My gifts arrived under the tree without me having a clue as to what was in the package. Okay. That’s not completely true. Something big and fluffy was under the tree, because hubby and daughter don’t use gift boxes, so I had a good idea of what it might be.

Well, Sunday I was cleaning off the dining room table and found a receipt. I wasn’t snooping. I swear! I thought I had left out the receipt for the gift I bought my husband. I unfolded it and “O Holy Night”. The paper was from The Mac Guys. I dropped it immediately without reading it, but it’s pretty clear I’m getting what I want.

I really didn’t want to make my husband feel bad, because he tried so hard to keep the secret this year. I put it back on the table and didn’t finish clearing it. He had lunch at the table and a snack without making the discovery. Hours later, he still hadn’t noticed the folded receipt. Finally, it was time for dinner, and I asked him if he would clear the table so I could set it.

Of course he discovered the receipt in the process, but he couldn’t tuck it in his pocket and be quiet about it. No, he had to question me. “Did you see this?” I tried to play dumb. “Oh, what is that?” He narrowed his eyes. He wasn’t buying it. “Did you?” Imagine a ridiculously goofy smile from me. I couldn’t hold it together, and I started laughing, so my cover was blown. Then I had the giggles because a few minutes earlier, my daughter had said to me, “We put your birthday pajamas under the tree.”

So, no surprises this year, but I couldn’t be happier. Not because I’m getting birthday pajamas or my dream gift. I couldn’t be happier because I have a wonderful family who the CIA will never recruit to send on secret missions where I can’t know of their whereabouts. (My son can’t lie any better than I can. His laugh always gives him away too.)

What about you? Do you like to be surprised on Christmas morning, or do you search for your gifts?

15 comments:

  1. I used to search when I was a kid but that ruined all my fun so I stopped. As a matter of fact, I almost gave away my mothers' present to her yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,
    I did the same when I was a kid. LOL. I guess the CIA won't be recruiting you either. Good save on not revealing your mother's gift. :)

    Gillian,
    I'm with you. Surprise me!

    Thank you both for stopping by today. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband or daughter usually blows the secret for me, LOL. Last year Olivia made sure to tell Daddy exactly what we bought him--new work jeans from Carhartt. So this year, she didn't get to come along when Mommy did Christmas shopping. Zach is the worst about it, though. Our first Christmas he started talking about my new watch--before he ever gave it to me. About 10 minutes into the discussion, he stopped and said, "I blew it, didn't I?" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,

    Olivia is the cutest and a smart cookie. Too funny that Zach was talking about your gift before you received it. That's classic! :)

    Happy holidays! I bet Christmas will be very fun with Olivia. She's at a perfect age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude,
    First of all, it is hard to contain the emotion and excitement of reciprical joy. Sam and i are the worst in the family (he wants me to watch his cartoons WITH him) -we just like to share stuff..

    And... it's a really cool gift. So if i'm jamming all this emotion back there are bound to be a few leaks. I will get better with time....better than last year.

    And i can lie in poker and do...visciously. i'm very proud of that.

    But it's pretty great to know my dorky style is appreciated. xoxoSANTA (um...it's not really Santa, it's me...KEVIN!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, your post had me laughing. How sweet is that? Surprises may be romantic, but I think the fact that he can't wait to give you things and make you happy is so much more romantic ;). Had to laugh at the CIA comment :)

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to be suprised. However, when I was a little girl my mom told me I would snoop until I found my gifts, and if they were wrapped I would beg to open them. Once my mom let me open a birthday gift, and she said I was so upset on my brithday that I didn't have a big gift that she felt bad and went out and bought me another one. My mother is such a wonderful pushover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Samantha! My sons all have the I'm-lying smile too. Enjoy your day with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL. You're the best, Kev. I wouldn't have you any other way. XOXO

    Rula,
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. I'm very lucky indeed. And it's true that the happiness in my hubby's eyes is the most romantic thing ever. :)

    Julie,
    That is so sweet! I'm a big pushover for my daughter too. She had hoped for a toy from the tooth fairy, because another kid at school got a toy. (Some parents really ruin it for the rest of us!) She was a little disappointed with the money, and I couldn't stand to see that sad face. I bought her the toy on my lunch break. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Clarissa. :)

    Isn't it great to have kids that can't lie without giving themselves away?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember as a child, my mom would wrap my Christmas presents in a thin white wrapping paper with silver snowflakes. They were always kept "hidden" in the basement. I wasn't suppose to know this. Anyway, I would smooth the white paper flat on the present and I could read what the box said. That's how I discovered I was getting roller skates that year :)

    Erin could use a little help hiding presents from me. I'm pretty intuitive and he's not that careful. He does, however, refrain from giving me my presents early!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen,

    That is so funny! I wonder if your brother got that gene from your mom.

    Erin doesn't have a sneaky bone in his body. I bet he does have trouble keeping things a secret from you. You're very clever and observant.

    Thanks for stopping by today. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to be surprised. This year I knew what I was getting because I only asked for one thing that I really want. But, there is something else under the tree that I have no clue what it is. When I asked my husband he said it was something I said I wanted. How often do we shop and say "I would like to have that"? Okay, I do it a lot, and this time he happened to be with me. No clue and I can't wait. Even it if was something I just said off the cuff and forgot about, the important thing was he was listening :).

    My daughter, on the other hand, confessed to me last night that when she was twelve and home from school with a cold, while I was at work and hubby had to be gone, she opened all of her gifts very carefully and wrapped them back up. She can't stand not knowing and those wrapped gifts under the tree were too much of a temptation.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Amy! All those years and you never knew. :)

    Now I want to know what your hubby put under the tree. Hope you have a very merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete