Our Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Stay Healthy Tips for a Merry Christmas!

I'm not sure I'm the best person to give stay healthy tips since I'm just getting over a cold, but I've noticed a lot of people not at their healthiest this season, so I think it's a great idea to share some remedies, both the home and over-the-counter type...

Zinc! Feel something coming on? Grab some zinc! Zicam makes a whole line of zinc products that are supposed to help curb, or at least shorten, the life of your cold.

Dayquil/Nyquil. I used to rage against meds like these and I would go for the homeopathic options instead...and I would suffer. Don't suffer. They can really help you feel better so you can get through this busy season without feeling like death warmed over!

Neti-pot. These are a super cheap, but not terribly easy, way of relieving nasal congestion. I have many friends who swear by their neti pot. However, be aware that if you're too congested, it's not gonna work. I had some packed sinuses, so the fluid wasn't going anywhere, and I had to call in the big guns...

Nasonex. It's expensive. And it's a steroid. But it's SO worth it. After days of misery, I started feeling better within a couple hours of shooting this wonder drug up my nose. And it was a good thing because I had a 1-year-old birthday party to throw!

Juicing. I've just returned to juicing in the last few days after about an 18-month hiatus, and I have to say, I feel great! Drinking my fruits, veggies and leafy greens is so much easier than trying to eat well during this crazy on-the-go time. Not to mention, I've lost more than 2lbs in just a few short days!

Cool mist humidifier. I finally stole this out of my daughter's room the other night and put it next to my bed, with the Vick's vapor tab inserted. It made such a difference in how I slept - no dry middle-of-the-night cough. Phew!

And of course, drink lots of fluids! Water, water, water, and soothing teas. Steer clear of peppermint, though, if you're feeling dry. I really thought this would help me, but it sent me into a horrible coughing fit. Stick with gentle herbs and throw a little local honey in for good measure.

Okay, that completes my list. What magic cures do you have for staying healthy or getting over a cold quickly?

-Jerrica, Her Grace of Grammar

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget good old-fashioned Horehound. One summer my husband had a horrible cough that he couldn't shake and we tried everything from prescription to over-the-counter. I finally cut some horehound out of my garden and made a tea. He didn't cough for hours. Gave him more relief than anything else. I now keep the horehound lozengers on hand (don't taste too good at times). Otherwise, I am with you on the Nyquil. It is my best friend when I have a cold or the flu. If you don't get the rest you need, you are not going to get better and I would rather be knocked out than awake and miserable. And, I am all for mixing the herbal remedies with the medications found in your local pharmacy. You never know what it is going to take for that specific virus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to keep my teenager healthy before we travel across the country. Why do I always feel like I'm sick after a long flight?

    ReplyDelete