Our Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Eat your way to a flat belly!

I’m pretty sure I have mentioned before that I do not make New Years resolutions. I do make New Years goals, though. One of my goals for this year is to get back the belly I used to have. You know the tight one that you sport around pre-kids. I swear it can be done because not only have I seen the famous moms in the pages of People Magazine wearing itsy bitsy tiny bikinis, I have seen women at my gym in tiny two-piece swimsuits who I KNOW have had children.

In the spirit of getting back my pre-baby body, I recently purchased a cookbook called the Flat Belly Diet Cookbook by Liz Vaccariello. I have also been exchanging some recipes with a good friend of mine who is also trying to get her pre-baby body back. I was thinking how nice it would be if someone would test these recipes for me and tell me the ones that actually taste good and do not take too long to make. So that is what I have done, and am going to do, for you.

Once a month, I will post two healthy recipes for you that I have made. These recipes will have had to pass the yum test by my entire family. Let me tell you, that is no easy task. My two young boys are very picky. You can be assured the recipes I post here will be easy and quick to fix because I do not have time to mess around in the kitchen.

This first recipe is from the Weight Watcher cookbook. * It’s a bit zesty, so if you don’t like spice don’t cook this one.

Sausage Soup – 20 minutes

Ingredients:

Aidells Andouille Sausage – 2 links
One can of 15 ounce fire roasted tomatoes
One can of navy beans
One can of no salt, low sodium chicken broth
Three cups fresh spinach

What to do:
Cut sausage into thin pieces
Bring chicken stock and tomatoes to a boil
Put in navy beans and sausage and cook for ten minutes
Put in spinach and cook it until it wilts.
EAT!

Chicken Piccata – 15 minutes

Ingredients:
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken tenders
2 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
                                   2 teaspoons capers
                                   Minced Freshly ground black pepper

What to do:
Flatten chicken with a scaloppini pounder to a fourth inch thick
Dredge chicken through flour
Add oil to medium high skillet and cook chicken two minutes per side
Add the lemon juice, parsley and capers to bring mixture to a boil
Reduce heat and simmer for two minutes
Season to taste with pepper
Serve chicken with pan juices
EAT!

I’d love to get some quick, healthy recipes from some of you so feel free to share something that is delicious!

Have a great day!

Julie Johnstone, The Marchioness of Mayhem


7 comments:

  1. Ok, Julie..... I know everyone has areas, but your belly is flat. Can't wait to see pre-baby :0 I can't wait to try the chicken piccata, it sounds great, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,

    I love this idea. Quick and healthy are the key words. I can't even think about recipes right now though since we are in the middle of a kitchen remodel. However, once they are done, I would love to test some recipes from some of my healthy cookbooks then let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of any food that doesn't come in a white, paper bag sounds fantastic. Diet and exercise seem to take the lowest priorities in my life (as my body evidences). Eating better is one of my goals for 2011, and this will help get me moving in that direction. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodi,

    I have more than one area! Believe me! Try the piccata. It's really great and goes super with a spinach, pecan and feta salad.

    Samantha,

    When you get that kitchen done, I expect some recipes!

    Heather,

    Keep checking back and I'll give you lots of quick and easy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,
    As you know, I am ALWAYS open to new recipes--especially since I love to cook. I used to have a pre-baby tummy until a few years ago, but now I have a post-baby stomach plus middle-age spread! I need all the help that I can get. Thanks for sharing. If you need some help testing recipes, send a couple to me and I'll test them out on Poly.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane,

    I'll send you a few I have tested and a few I want to test. When you've made them, let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These recipes look fantastic, Julie. I will give the chicken piccata a try for sure. My kids are always complaining about my boring chicken.LOL.

    ReplyDelete