Our Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year

By luck of they draw, or more like it, previously drawn up schedule, I have the first regular post
of the New Year. I also had the honor of writing the first post last year when LadyScribes began this blog.

It has been a great year and I know all of us have enjoyed posting and getting to know our wonderful followers. And, we were nominated as one of the top blogs for writers in 2010 at http://writetodone.com/. That was an awesome honor and took us completly by surprise. We never dreamed when this blog started readers would think we were worthy of this nomination and we certainly never expected to be named in the top twenty. For that, we thank you and hope we don't let you down this year.

Many of us reflect on the past when a New Year begins. Did we reach our goals? How were our successes or what were our success? I hope you had a number of them. What accomplishments did we achieve?

For me, I won first place in the inspirational category in a contest. That has never happened to me before and it came at the end of the year. Talk about a confidence booster. So often, regardless of our success, those doubts creep in. There is nothing that destroys them better than doing well in a contest, or being named on a best seller's list, I suppose. But, since that hasn't happened to me, I am very happy with the win.

Also, with the New Year, we look forward. What do we want to accomplish this year? Sign with an agent, sell to a publisher, finish that book, become healthier, sleep more, be a better friend. . . The list can go on and on and on. I am sure we have all heard a number of different New Year's Resolutions and have made a few of them ourselves. I know I certainly have.

So, while we are still close enough to straddle the past and look to the future, what was a wonderful achievement for you in 2010 and what is your goal(s) for 2011?

12 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! It sounds like you had a wonderful 2010 :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rula. I hope yours was wonderful as well and 2011 is too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I know only too well that some goals I'd like to have for myself are really out of my control. So, my goals for 2011? Finish revisions and edits on the current MS until it is shiny and sparkly, and get through two more WIPs. I want to continue to grow in my writing abilities, so I plan to read more books on craft and find ways to incorporate what I learn in them into my MSs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Catherine. Can't wait to read the shiny and sparkly manuscript :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year! Congrats on the contest win! That is HUGE! I hope to finish editing my book and start shopping for agents. Scary, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finaled in the 2010 Golden Heart--that rocked!
    Goal for 2011--master the art of deep edits. Push through revisions on a story I'm just the tiniest bit tired of...(oh how shiny and new are the stories not yet written!;))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharrinda, I am sure it will get edited sooner than later and the shopping for an agent won't be so scary. Good luck!

    Gillian, Congrats on finalling the the Golden Heart - that is about as good as it gets for a romance writer. Good luck with your revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great blog post, Amy. Thanks for reminding me of the year's successes.

    For me, my greatest success in 2010 was, without a doubt, signing with my wonderful agent, Christine Witthohn of Book Cents Literary Agency. I feel so lucky to be represented by someone who is not just passionate and knowledgeable about the publishing industry, but also a wonderful human being.

    As for 2011, I have 2 old manuscripts I'm revising, and I really want to start and finish a new project. I live for first drafts :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm. I have more goals than I can possibly post here. :) So I'll just wish everyone else luck in keeping their 2011 resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to read more in 2011! I think I finished two books this year - SO unlike me! And I HAVE to lose this baby weight. But my goal isn't to be skinny, it's to be healthy. So juicing is on the agenda, no matter how time consuming it is!

    But most of all, I'm so grateful for an amazing first year of motherhood, and I'm so excited to watch my little girl grow some more over this next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two ebooks and a contract for a novel made the most amazing achievments of 2010. Dreams for 2011--edit the novel to make it worthy of publication, and, if I'm allowed more dreams, keep hoping for more contracts... I want to get organized too--that's my resolution, with the aid of Sage Cohen's book (The Productive Writer--sounds good doesn't it.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My NY resolution this year is to be silly more often. :o) My youngest son said straight after that I should get more books published. What a task master! LOL

    2010 Achievements - we started this blog and have had some wonderful guests and comments left! Thanks for sharing the year with us. I had an ebook published, and have continued to finish my works in progess.

    Goals for 2011 - publish completed stories and keep writing. I love my job!

    ReplyDelete