Monday, February 14, 2011

Love is Timeless

It is Valentine’s Day and our thoughts and hearts are focused on love. I’ll admit it right now – I am addicted to love stories and have been since I can remember. I’ve always favored the older, sweeter stories to the more modern ones. There is something about the innocence and the fade to black moments that make me sigh and just feel good. Not that I have any objection to more modern love stories, far from it. I am drawn to them because of their gift of weaving a love story. Whether there are fade to black moments or not, it doesn’t matter. These novels make me care about the hero and the heroine and make me want to see them with a happily ever after and sigh when I turned the last page.

Below are a few favorite love quotes that have withstood the test of time and have gone on to appear on screen, stages, still published, or are read at weddings.

ROMEO AND JULIET
Act 2, scene 2
William Shakespear

Juliet:
Sweet, so would I,
Yet I should kill thee with much cherishing.
Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow,
That I shall say good night till it be morrow. [Exit above]

SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY
by: George Gordon (Lord) Byron (1788-1824)

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that’s best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow’d to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair’d the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o’er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o’er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!

BIBLE
1 Corinthians 13

…Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

GONE WITH THE WIND
By Margaret Mitchell

Rhett Butler: [holds her tighter] Scarlett! Look at me! I’ve loved you more than I’ve ever loved any woman and I’ve waited for you longer than I’ve ever waited for any woman. [kisses her forhead]
Scarlett: [turns her face away] Let me alone!
Rhett Butler: [forces her to look him in the eyes] Here’s a soldier of the South who loves you, Scarlett. Wants to feel your arms around him, wants to carry the memory of your kisses into battle with him. Never mind about loving me, you’re a woman sending a soldier to his death with a beautiful memory. Scarlett! Kiss me! Kiss me… once…
[he kisses her]

And even though Rhett exited with these famous last words:
“Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” I think we all secretly know, or at least hope, that he did.

So, what will I be doing today? If you could pick only one romance / love story what would it be? What is your favorite love quote?

1 comment:

  1. Great quotes, Amy. I think my favorite one is the one from the bible. Sometimes we need a definition :)

    ReplyDelete