Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The trouble with my pants

I’ve got nothing…

I’m sitting here on Tuesday eve, watching the sun set on Lake Macquarie, Australia and I have no clue what I should blog about for my post today. Usually I’m pretty good at this sort of thing. I have a plan, I write well ahead of time, and I usually have at least something scratched down to get me going. Unfortunatly, I'm not Vivian from Pretty Woman. I don't "fly by the seat of my pants" well.

But I’ve been a lot busy lately and blogs and schedules have flown out of my head. Just last week I entered the world of self-publishing / indie publishing (or whatever the heck you’d like to call it publishing) and my focus moved away from being creative. For about two weeks I did nothing but read formatting instructions and tweak my manuscript like the good little geek-girl I am.

In the middle of all that, I prepared (via Photoshop and Vistaprint) marketing materials to hand out at the Australian Romance Reader’s Convention being held the end of March. Honestly, I find I’m incredibly nervous about the whole thing - although I’ve attended the conference before as a reader. But I’m doing a book signing and I’ve been asked to sit on a panel for up and coming authors and I’m desperately hoping I’ll have something interesting to say should anyone approach me during or after.

At this point everything is booked and ordered and as done as possible. I should, by rights, be back into writing. Yet it’s hard to get back into the swing of the story I should be finishing or the blogs I should be planning. Unfortunately, I’m watching my emails for Vistaprint’s postage confirmations and my wildly swinging Amazon ranking. I do know it does that but man the movements become hypnotic. Do you every have trouble settling back into your work after a long period away? And more importantly, what do you do to refocus?

So today I’m going to leave you with a glimpse of my indie release, In the Widow’s Bed, and desperately hope I can find my missing focus tomorrow.
IN THE WIDOW'S BED
Phoebe Torrington, Lady Warminster, is bored, lonely, and downright frustrated by her life. Perhaps that's why she's turned to her stepson's friend, Lord Selwood, to help her find the perfect lover. Clean, experienced, and discreet, her delicious Frenchman is as exciting as she had hoped. But she never expected Selwood-a man ten years her junior-to disguise his voice and send himself to share her bed.

Jonathan Oliver, Lord Selwood, came to his friend's house party to stake a claim on his future bride. However, he delays his pursuit of the eager debutant when he discovers Phoebe's intriguing need. Jonathan cannot resist the temptation to secretly spend a night in the widow's bed. Yet once he's tasted Phoebe's desire, will one night ever be enough?
An erotic regency historical romance novella.

To read an excerpt click here to visit my website (WORKSAFE)
To download a free sample or buy the book visit Amazon.

4 comments:

  1. Heather,

    Very exciting about your release. Good luck!

    I'm sporadically disciplined. It's easy for me to fall off the wagon, but what I do is put a date down on the calendar that I'm going to write again and then I do it. Sometimes what I write after I've had a little time off might stink, but it doesn't take too long to get back in the groove. I bet it won't take you long either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been away from my writing for a while, and I'm having a difficult time getting back into it, too. I always do. But I always manage it after some fits and starts.

    What usually works for me is writing a little bit at a time, until all of a sudden the burst comes out. Usually at that point, it is a sprint to the end.

    Good luck on your new release!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the release, Heather! I love the cover! I'm struggling with the same thing at the moment honestly. Perhaps I can take some of these suggestions and try them for myself.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, after another restless morning I've done it. Chapter 9 is out and my words are flowing again. :o) So very very relieved. Thanks for all your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete