Our Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Paris in the Spring!


I am so excited. The countdown has begun for my third trip to France. The past two, like this one, have involved chaperoning students from my sister's high school French Class. I've already mentally packed (for weeks, maybe months), and have done a bit of shopping (and will do a bit more before I go).


I also use these trips for research purposes. I've already made sure my dictaphone is in working order and that I have plenty of batteries. It was such a huge benefit last time. No need to haul around a pen and notepad. I just dictated what I wanted to remember, or go back and research. I may have mentioned this before, but I have a series of romance novels that take place during the French Revolution that I am the process of writing. Yes, I know it isn't an era or country that publishers look at, but I am drawn to put my characters there. They may not even be inspy but perhaps secular. And, they may take on a more historical fiction tone than romance. But regardless, these stories are screaming to be written and my muse, and the characters inside my head, get as excited as I do when I get a chance to visit.


So far, this is the agenda:


.:. Shopping along the Champs-Elysees .:. Notre Dame & the Louver ... Eiffle Tower and Seine River Cruise .:. Versailles, Montmartre and Basilique du Sacre Coeur Chartres .:. Chateau D'Amboise and Chenonceau .:. St. Chapelle, Tour of the Marais Quarter and Musee D'Orsay .:. Travel to Nice ... Russian Orthodox Church and sight seeing . . .


More will be added as we near our departure date because there are always sites students want to see that aren't included. In later blogs I will post about the places we saw and add what insights I have.


Have you ever been to Paris or France? If so, what are some places not to be missed?

2 comments:

  1. I'm envious! I haven't been there yet, but I hope to one day. This sounds like the perfect time of year to go. And I love your idea of the dictaphone--gives you a chance to live it again when you transcribe things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great trip, Amy. I lived in France for two years so I'm familiar with most of these places.

    If you have the time, I would add Mont St. Michel (in Normandy, not Paris) and Versailles, but only if you can spend the night there. The crowds at Versailles are so mismanaged, that there's really no sense in going if you can't be there when it opens.

    ReplyDelete