Our Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Time to Re-prioritize

I've recently accepted a position as an editor with an e-publisher. Not long after that, I took on some freelance editing work. Soon I'll be doing even more of the same.

Which is great! I love editing. I enjoy helping writers grow, and I like few things better than helping writers make their work the best it can possibly be.

But I've already found a problem. It is very easy for me to get so caught up in my editing work that I completely ignore my own writing. Editing is not supposed to replace writing, for me. It is supposed to supplement it.

I don't want to quit editing, not by any stretch of the imagination. But I can't let it become the only thing I do, either.

That means it is time for me to re-prioritize.

I know a few others who balance their own writing with editing. In fact, it doesn't seem that they've slowed down in their production of new writing projects at all. They have set a schedule for themselves. Either the mornings are for editing and the afternoons are for writing, or their weekdays are spent on editing and the weekends are spent on writing.

I think I need to force myself into a schedule like that. In fact, I already know how I need to do it. My creativity is best in the afternoons, so that should be my writing time. And my critical eye is at its peak in the mornings, so that should be my editing time. Easy enough, right?

Let's see how well I can stick to my self-imposed schedule.

Have you taken on any new responsibilities that have interfered with your writing time? How have you coped with the change?

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new position! I have had a lot of "writing related" tasks this week that have pushed the actual writing to the side, and I need to re-prioritize too. All of it is important, so I need to make the best use of my time to get it all done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! A child! LOL! And she totally cramps my writing style! But I love her and wouldn't have it any other way. I've just had to figure out how to balance all my responsibilities. I have a nanny 12 hours/week, so that's when I try to write and do things like grocery shopping that I can't do with the baby. I try to write during naptime every day, but that's a little unpredictable. And I now use my iPad on the treadmill in the afternoons to do my reading/critiquing. We have a daycare at the gym, and I can leave her for up to two hours, so it works out really well. The only problem left is how to stop procrastinating! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Donna! And good luck with finding the right balance. I don't have any editing tasks for at least another week, so I can devote all of my writing time for now to writing. Next week will be a good test for me, I think.

    And Jerrica, I can only imagine trying to fit writing in with having a little one around. At least you've got some time with a nanny, where you can get some things done. Nap time sounds like a perfect time to fit some writing in. I know when my nephew comes to visit, there is NO writing on the agenda. LOL. I don't know how moms and dads do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose, in the beginning, it would be good to let your scheduling be flexible. But Not in the way of "I'll get this editing done first then get to my writing". Your writing shouldn't fall to the side. I've found that if I don't do my writing in the first part of the week the rest is shot. Lol. You just need to have a plan and don't let the freelance work take over. :o) good luck. You'll be brilliant at this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the worst person to give advice on this. Every time I have my schedule down pat, something comes along and changes it. I can only suggest writing for an hour before editing, but that may not always be practical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the vote of confidence, Heather! Flexible scheduling at first is probably a necessity, especially since the first editing jobs will be hit-and-miss. Great point.

    And Clarissa, I wish I was a morning writer. LOL. Then I could always be sure I do an hour of writing before I do my editing. Sadly, when I try to write before about 11 am, it is a lot of staring at the screen with my fingers not moving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fact that I'm posting late on the day after you posted says so much about my life and what gets in the way. Moving to a (small) house with a (small) yard shouldn't get in the way like this, but it does. And writing for self-publishing in addition to having a publisher brings in more conflict. I really need to make a schedule and make myself stick to it.

    ReplyDelete