Our Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Baby just say yes!

Who doesn’t like a wedding?

I tell you, it’s great to be part of the Commonwealth, especially around Royal Wedding time. As far side subjects of the British royal family, Australian's have basked, wallowed and bathed in royal wedding madness. But can you ever overdose on a good wedding?

Not me. I sat through six and a half hours of TV coverage and enjoyed every moment. I even baked (fresh scones, with jam and cream) and dragged out the Royal Doulton Tea Set to set the mood. My kids thought I’d gone mad, but I sat through Prince Charles and Diana’s wedding, and our own Princess Mary as she married Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark. Why stop now?


I don’t think I’ve smiled so much at the TV in ages. I waited anxiously for the guests to arrive, watched William and Harry (big braid shoulders) traveling in the plush Bentley Limousine, and followed Catherine’s slow progress to meet her prince charming. I’m still interested in the wedding even days later and I’ve picked up my souvenir color magazine to store away today.

The bride’s dress was gorgeous, the ceremony perfect. The music really made the celebration so sweet. Did I wish I could lip read during the service? Hell, yes! But thankfully I got all the translations later. For my money, you cannot go past the British BBC coverage of any royal event. Our Aussie commentators didn’t know their stuff, so I quickly switched channels.
 

There was huge confusion over what we would call Catherine’s over here. Popular opinion wanted to call her Princess Catherine but—since Queen Elizabeth conferred the titles of Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus on William just before the wedding—that could not be. So congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. May you have a long and happy marriage!

For those of you interested in the history of William’s new titles, the Buckingham Palace website has a detailed press release.



Oh and just because this gorgeous gold inlaid state carriage was in the wedding, and a gift from Australia to the Queen two years ago, I have to include a pic. 



5 comments:

  1. The wedding was gorgeous, and like all weddings, it made me tear up. I'm such a crybaby! I tease my daughter that I'm going to sob at her wedding then demonstrate how I'm going to wail, loudly. ATM, she thinks I'm hilarious, but she's not a teen yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so funny. I'm imagining her as a teen screaming MOM!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was beautiful and I thoroughly enjoyed it although I didn't get the chance to see it happen live as I had to work that day. So I had to settle for a rerun but that's okay I cried through my tears and enjoyed every second curled up on the sofa in my pj's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I considered having a pyjama party - but I figured the Queen wouldnt approve. LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I loved every minute of the coverage, too, Heather! It was like a fairytale! We had to watch it later in the evening after the baby went to sleep, but we did it up right with Pimm's and Boddingtons and scones...oh, and of course I wore my tiara :)

    ReplyDelete