Our Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Guest Blogger: Rie McGaha

Oh Baby!

May 11, 2011 saw the birth of my thirty-fifth grandchild, a boy named Dax Michael, who weighed in at 8 lbs 10oz, 21" tall. He joins his big sister, 18-month-old Meagan Grace. In September, my 36th grandchild will arrive.

When I became a mom for the first time nearly 40 years ago I never imagined I would one day have three times the grandchildren as I did children. But having twelve kids and thirty-five grandkids, being a mom and a Nana, is life's grandest gifts. I have witnessed the birth of most of those grandkids, and even nursed the first two. There was no break between being a mom, kids moving out and me becoming a Nana. My youngest wasn't even three years old before my first grandchild Mat, was born. Mat just turned eighteen in January, so now, I not only have adult children, I have an adult grandchild, with the rest not far behind.

Sometimes life gives you what you didn't even know you wanted, and I thank God every day for the wonderful, ever-growing family He has given me. I can't imagine what my life might have been like if I had only a couple of kids, even though there are some days when I wonder about it! As crazy, hectic, loud, insane and chaotic as it can get, and the fact I can't remember birthdays most of the time, and Christmas presents have been reduced from thoughtfully chosen gifts to cash in a card, I wouldn't trade my life. Those kids didn't just make me a mom and Nana, they made me the woman I am today, and for that, I will be eternally grateful.

So as I welcome Dax to our family and discuss names for 36 with my son, I am filled with satisfaction that I've not only done a great job raising them, I am also happily over worked, over stressed, over anxious, and totally enthralled with my life.


Rie McGaha is an author, editor, and reviewer. She has more than a dozen books to her credit, and her recent release, Calen, is the first book in the My Soul To Keep Trilogy, with the other two books being released later this year from Silver Publishing. You can join Rie, GA Hauser, & Stormy Glenn for Blog Blast 2011 (http://blogblast2011.blogspot.com/), on Blog Talk Radio, May 14, 2011 at noon CST, with an all day group chat at Erotic Promo. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eroticpromo/
Prizes will be given away all day long, so join us! And check out Blog Blast 2011 for a list of prizes, and "follow" us to be entered into the grand prize drawing.

Everyone who comments on this blog is also eligible to win!

GA Hauser – http://authorgahauser.com/
Stormy Glenn - http://stormyglenn.com/
Rie McGaha - http://www.riemcgaha.com/



Calen

When Calen MacLeod begins having dreams of an ethereal beauty who beckons to him, he passes it off as just having an itch he hasn't scratched in a long time. But when he leaves on a journey to find her, following the directions she's given him in his dreams, he begins to doubt his sanity. And when he finds himself high in the Mackinaw Mountains in a secret fortress with unicorns and a pink and white castle, surrounded by women, each one more beautiful than the next, it's a fantasy no man would want to wake up from. But Arianna is the only woman for Calen.

The women of the Fortress have lived in peace, hidden away from the humans who tried to annihilate them all. But now 500-year-old Damon is out to destroy the women's matriarch, Ariella, and he'll stop at nothing to complete his mission. When Calen MacLeod shows up, he throws a wrench into Damon's plans. Never let it be said Damon isn't ready for anything, but when he kidnaps Arianna and takes her to modern day San Francisco, is he ready to meet Calen, who will stop at nothing to save his ladylove?



Excerpt from Calen:

The fire rose in the dark, casting its light in a wide circle. The woman stood with her hands raised over her head, her back arched and her face tilted toward the moonless sky. Only a backdrop of black velvet covered in stars glittering like diamonds lay overhead. She chanted in a language strange to his ears while her body swayed rhythmically. Blue, red and yellow sparks shot from the fire. The wind gusted and blew her long hair back, while her sheer gown billowed around her. He was mesmerized, enchanted, aroused. He remained in the shadows, wanting her, but not wanting to intrude. Suddenly, all went still, and she looked directly at him. Though he remained hidden, he sensed she knew he was there. She began walking toward him, but stayed within the circle of light cast by the fire.

"Come," she whispered.

He stood frozen in place.

"Come to me," she whispered again.

He remained where he was.

"When you are ready to know, come to me."


Calen bolted upright, ready for action, but nothing stirred. A dream, he thought, his eyes growing accustomed to the darkness.

4 comments:

  1. Rie,

    Congratulations on your newest grandchild and the release of your book. You have a lot to be thankful for this week.

    Thanks for joining us today and sharing Calen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your grandson! My mom was present at the birth of both of my daughters. It is a blessing, I hope I can be their when my girls have children of their own.

    Thanks for the excerpt!

    beckerjo at verizon dot net

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on the newest baby! and i lovetaht quote about life its so right my mom has 5 children but 15 almost 16 grand children

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for having me as your guest, Samantha. And thank you all for your comments. I appreciate you coming by.

    Rie McGaha

    ReplyDelete