Our Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Guest Blogger: Suzie Grant on Inspiration



First, let me take a moment to thank the Lady Scribes for having me today and then let me tell you inspiration for a novel can come out of anywhere. It’s funny how it hits you and usually at a time when you don’t have pen and paper to write it down. And then you scramble to find something, usually knocking something over, (usually a drink or at least in my case it’s almost always is something that makes a mess) and when you finally get pen and pad in hand you have to think really hard to remember what it was. And then it always feels like it doesn’t sound as good this go round. Ever have that happen to you?

Sigh. Yup, it’s happened to me many, many times too. So, I’ve learned over the years to keep a pen and pad in my purse, one in my car, and here lately, one by my nightstand. You just never know when inspiration is going to strike.

My first novel was released in April and The Devil’s Daughter was somewhat inspired by Sharon Stone in the movie The Quick and The Dead. Excellent movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I saw my character, Blaze Marie Austin, first and really quite vividly. The rest of the story came together much later. It took ages for this story to completely come together as it was one of the first books I’ve ever written.

I have been inspired by a single line in a book before. Never used the same line though. It was the tone of the line that struck me. And I immediately saw a character walking into darkness. Apparently, I write entire stories off one scene and a character lol. There seems to be a pattern here.

I recently took a trip to New Mexico. Beautiful part of the country by the way and lots of things to see.  Several of the pictures that I’d taken, that you see here, inspired my newest novella The Texas Ranger’s Special Forces Series. Who wouldn't be inspired by the sight of those skies. These were taken on the Sandia Peak Tram in Albuquerque, New Mexico. This sexy series features Texas Rangers, each one specialized in a form of weaponry and some of them are based off true events. Like the first in the series Nuecestown Takedown has a hero who is a blade master.

You don’t like the dark you say? Sometimes, being in complete darkness can be one of the most inspiring moments in my day. Take a moment, turn off all the lights tonight, sit in the silence and let your imagination run.

Horseback riding or sitting outside communing with nature often inspires me, I don’t do it as much as I used to now that I’m living in a tiny apartment, but I can still very much remember the feelings nature evoke in me. Some people have a hobby or something that they do in their downtime and all too often, those moment of inspiration spring out of nowhere.

So tell me, what inspired your current work in progress or what was the most vivid moment of inspiration to you? Do you remember?

Suzie Grant remembers sitting at her grandfather's feet watching cowboy shows like Gunsmoke, Lonesome Dove and Bonanza. Her love of the Wild West started by the age of four and has grown ever since. Cowboys, wide open spaces, the freedom of the west and family are what draws her to this genre. That and the fact that when a cowboy falls in love - it's for life.



Suzie still believes in the happily-ever-after and currently resides in North Carolina with her own real life hero, three children, and one shitzhu named Peppy Le'Pew. Take a journey with her into the lives of the a dying breed of man and the unforgotten way of life called the Wild West.

The Devil's Daughter

A bounty hunter facing his past encounters a criminal on the run from her own.

Blaze Marie Austin is no longer the little girl forced to be an outlaw. Finding her chance at redemption, Blaze must repay the man who once saved her life. Only her savior’s estranged son accuses her of betrayal and ignites a passion she can’t deny.

Gade Ryder returns to Eden, Texas, after a twelve year absence to investigate a gang of rustlers on the family ranch. Had he accepted the job out of misplaced family loyalty or was it the compelling mystery of the The Devil’s daughter that keeps him in the one place he didn’t want to be. Confronted by the memory of his mother’s suicide and the father he blames for her death, Gade seeks comfort from the one woman he couldn’t trust.

When the little criminal is accused of murder, Gade realizes his growing attraction for her could not only cost him his freedom, it may well cost him his life. Was the murder were a subtle hint of Blaze’s past and had she just lost her last chance to run?







4 comments:

  1. I recently returned from the Paul Mellon Center at Yale to see the Sir Thomas Lawrence art exhibit. Inspiration was all over the place. Seeing famous people from the Regency era I write about was awesome! And seeing them through an artist's eyes was something I'll always remember. I got a couple of ideas while touring the portraits - unfortunately - it's top secret informtion. But just you wait...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Suzie.
    I love the idea of sitting in the dark and letting my imagination run wild. I'll be giving that a try tonight.
    Lucie j.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia! What a wonderful opportunity to garner ideas. I'll bet you had a blast! I love anything that has to do with any kind of history, what better way to waste hours in a day, right?

    Lucie, it truly does allow your mind to open and wander - as long as you keep it from straying to your grocery list lol. Give it a try and let me know if it worked for you.

    Thanks for stopping by ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great photos. I just love American-set historicals. Here's wishing you lots of luck with this one:)

    ReplyDelete