Our Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Pool Panic

On Monday, my youngest son’s last day of school was a wake up call. Where has the school year gone? In the last couple of months I have been getting Victoria’s Secret catalogues in the mail, and I PROMISED myself to be good about what I eat, so I will look exactly like Giesele in my swimsuit.

Just joking!  I did make a deal with myself to watch what I eat, but the goal was so I would not be embarrassed to put on my swimsuit this summer. I did pretty good for about a week, and then life interfered. My children’s busy schedules have kept me on the go, and when on the go, I am much more likely to eat unhealthy.

We have had an unusual cold snap come through the deep south, so I was forced to put on my blue jeans this morning. I’ll tell you, there is NOTHING like donning an unforgiving pair of jeans to let you know your healthy eating has flown out the window.

“Hmm…how bad has it been,” I asked myself taking a deep breath and zipping up my jeans. Let me see, on Monday night we had a Championship baseball game, so we had a champion pizza. I, of course, ate pizza the next day for lunch. I was raised on the motto “waste not want not.” On Tuesday, I was at the park late with my kids and some friends, so we had Mexican for dinner. There is no healthy alternative at the Mexican restaurant that I am interested in eating. When I sit down at Mexico Lindo it is for chips, cheese dip, and a margarita.

The last two days are just a little reminder of how far I have strayed! With Memorial Day right around the corner, I am forcing myself to get back on swimsuit slim down alert. In honor of my quest not to cringe when I put on my two piece, I am going to start today by having a lovely salad for lunch.

This is one of the best salads I have ever put in my mouth, so I thought I would share it with all of you just in case there is someone else out there trying to slim down in time to suit up.

Balsamic Marinated Strawberry Salad
Serves 4
1 quart fresh strawberries
1 pint blueberries
¼ cup Olive Oil
3 teaspoons Vincotto
¼ cup Monari Federzoni balsamic vinegar
The juice of half a lemon
¼ cup toasted walnuts
1 5 oz bag of mixed greens
Crumbled goat cheese
Salt
Pepper
Walnuts

Wash the strawberries and let dry completely. Once dried, hull the strawberries and slice very thinly. In a separate bowl, mix the olive oil, balsamic, lemon juice, vincotto, a pinch of salt and a big portion of fresh ground pepper. Wisk together until emulsified, then add to your sliced strawberries and other fruit. Let the flavors mingle for 30 minutes minimum, 4 hours max. Use a slotted spoon to lightly drain berries and toss them with greens and walnuts, top with goat cheese and enjoy!

I would love to hear some of your slim down recipes.

Have a great day!

Julie Johnstone, The Marchioness of Mayhem

13 comments:

  1. Great post, Julie! After a year of struggling with post-baby weight, I joined Weight Watchers in February. Best thing I EVER did! I'm down about 25lbs from my highest weight, and I keep losing. I've already passed pre-baby weight and I just keep going.

    It's become mostly about portion control for me. We eat out A LOT, so I can't avoid restaurant prepared foods, which are much higher in points usually. But I've learned how to order better (I actually avoid the salads because they are sometimes worse than having half a burger, and not nearly as satisfying or filling!!!) And I've learned how to not eat everything I see. LOL! I was a few pounds away from joining Over-Eaters Anonymous!

    I've also cut out high calorie alcoholic beverages. I did allow myself a margarita on Cinco de Mayo, but otherwise, I stick to wine (white is the lowest points value) or light beer.

    I am TOTALLY going to be ready for swimsuit season!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - I found myself googling "master cleanse diet" this morning. [palm to forehead] No, I won't actually do it, but I do need to get myself swimsuit ready, stat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salad sound great, but I'd have to sub pecans for walnuts - just can't do walnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me it's about exercise. I have to or nothing works.

    And avoiding things that are bad for me. Like bread. Which I love. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm that recipe looks delicious! I'll have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That recipe looks amazing! I have the hardest time eating right because of my work schedule. Fast and easy tends to be fatty and high in calories. I've been trying to drink as much water as possible (which has helped)and do most of my cooking on the weekend with an eye toward having left-overs. Unfortunately, all it takes is the siren call of cheese dip at a Mexican restaurant and my plans are blown to bits. In fact, I am pretty sure I hear the call right now . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jerrica,
    Great tip on white wine, which happens to be my favorite! Congratulations on losing the post baby weight and then some! I can't wait to see how fabu you look in NY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin,

    My brother did a master cleanse diet his trainer suggested. He lost eight pounds in one week. I could never do it, though. You have nothing for 48 hours, except some sort of juice mixture. No thanks! I'll do it the hard way with exercise and portion control. I cannot give up food for 48 hours. I would be one b-----woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wendy,

    I've subbed other nuts and it was just as good! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deb,
    Thanks for visiting! I have to exercise too. At least five days a week I am at the gym or my jeans just don't fit. Now if I would just exercise better portion control and choices I would probably drop the five pounds I have wanted to get rid of for the last two years!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenna,

    Thanks for stopping by. Try the recipe and let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heather,

    I understand that siren call very well! Cheese dip is soooo hard for me to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great recipe. I can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete