Our Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

"Fall" into reading!


Okay, I know we're not quite there yet - the official start of fall isn't for another month or so -
but here in the northeast, things are already starting to cool off (thank goodness!) It
's still pretty warm in the afternoons, but the mornings have been crisp and cool lately, and they'vebeen getting me in the mood for all the fun thingsautumn brings: pumpkin picking, Halloween, cozy sweaters and brightly colored leaves!



But another great thing about the fall is the return to what I call "paranormal fun!" Have you
ever noticed that paranormal-themed books all tend to have an autumnal feel, even if they don't necessarily take place in the fall? I suppose it's because vampires especially have to live in rainier climes so they don't have to worry about the sun so much. Of course, witches bring to mind Halloween, which is inherently a fall holiday. And I would imagine werewolves choose the cooler climes just to…stay cool. I would too if I had to wear all that fur!


So now I have the daunting task of either finding new "paranormal fun" to read, or revisiting
old favorites. On the list of old favorites are some YA series: Harry Potter, Evernight and Twilight (yes, I'm a Twihard and I'm proud of it!) I've yet to read the Vampire Diaries, but I'm obsessed with the show (when are you coming back to me, Damon??? When?!?!?) And the Evermore series by Alison Noel holds some appeal for me.

It's still a little early to choose my Fall Reading Lineup, so I'm taking suggestions! What do you like to read when the weather turns cooler? I would love some new material to curl up with while I drink my butterbeer :)

12 comments:

  1. Jerrica, since you love the YA stuff, you should try some Rick Riordan books. His Percy Jackson series is complete, and it is FABULOUS. It's Greek gods in modern times, plus all of their demons and whatnot. Great stuff. I had a blast reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, Catherine! I will check them out! I've never really done Greek gods - might be a fun way to mix things up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any suggestions for you, Jerrica, as I don't read a whole lot of paranormal but I tell you I was contemplating writing an historical Jaimacan about voo doo and witches during the golden age of piracy. I think it would fun because like you said most people think of fall and halloween for witches so taking them and putting them in a Caribbean atmosphere would be different. Great blog, I need to check out Catherine's suggestion as well. Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fall is my favorite season and something about the weather does make me want to curl up and read. I highly recommend Janice Hardy's series that begins with The Shifter...and the last one I think is Dark Fall. Very high concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzie, that's a great idea! I'd love to read that one!!

    Rula, thanks for the suggestion! I'm heading to Amazon to check them out now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny you should mention Twilight, Jerrica, since I just started re-reading it last night! It feels weird to read about cold temps, snow and rain, when it must be about 85 degrees outside. I love to re-read Devil in Winter and A Wallflower Christmas, by Lisa Kleypas, and Northern Skies, by Nora Roberts- but those aren't paranormal. I do love to re-read HP too, at any time of the year. I love fall also- it is my favorite time of the year. Especially the end, near winter, when you can smell the chimney smoke and the hint of coming snow in the air...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Olivia, you have great taste in books! LOL! And I'm SO excited for you to be reading Twilight! Ava Stone was the one who introduced us to it, and we are so glad!

    And I love the smell of chimney smoke, too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fall. I'm sorry that I have no recommendations, though. I don't read a lot of paranormal, but I believe our own Lydia Dare has some books coming out this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live and breathe paranormal. Can't wait for October to get here. All my ghosts, witches, and black cats come out to play.

    Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series is my all time favorite paranormal.

    Ilona Andrew's Kate Daniels Urban Fantasy series is a mix of magic, shifters, and vamps.

    If you're looking for something a bit wetter, Virginia Kantra's Children of the Sea or Alyssa Day's Atlantis series should satisfy you.

    And of course, I can't wait for the next Lydia Dare story to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've become a big fan of Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer series. They are laugh out loud funny. I'm always impressed when an author can put slapstick in a book and still make it funny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great recommendations! And of course, how could I forget our own Lydia Dare??? She's definitely on my fall TBR list!!

    ReplyDelete