Our Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Is it writer's block?

I’m not one to claim I suffer from writer’s block, but this week I’m at a bit of a loss. I could blame it on post book release depression, or I could suggest that this winter’s recurring sinus headaches (in lieu of a proper head cold) has fried my brain of decent ideas.


Either way, I’m a little scattered this week.

I suppose I could gush over Kate’s Winslet’s rescue of Richard Branson’s mother from a burning building, but I’m not quite sure how much of the reported news is true. However, I’ve always been a fan of dear Kate and she scores a double thumbs up, true or not.


Kate in training for a heroine
My second option was to discuss the cult that’s sprung up revering Pippa Middleton’s derriere.



Although William and Catherine (now the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge) married months ago, I’m constantly surprised by how often the sister is in the news. Why just last week the Today show debated over whether her royal hotness's rear end was real or scientifically engineered. A quick google check revealed she has a dedicated webpage (pippasass.com), more than one FaceBook fan pages and twitter accounts galore. Now that’s branding without the effort. LOL. (oh, dear)

My third option is probably the best choice. I’m going to give a shout out for a fantasic fellow Aussie author, Jenny Schwartz. She posted her latest cover today for her upcoming steampunk (Wild West with an Aussie twist) and I'm in love with the gorgeous cover! Why don't I write steampunk?

Here’s a peek at Wanted: One Scoundrel

When American inventor Jed Reeve skims into the remote west Australian colony of Swan River, the last thing he expects is to be mistaken for a scoundrel and shangai’d by a beautiful suffragette.

Heiress Esme Smith needs a smooth-talking male stranger to represent her Women’s Advancement League in the men-only clubs.

What neither anticipates is the violence their partnership will engender. Can an honorable scoundrel save a sexy suffragette or will she kick bustle and save him?





Wanted: One Scoundrel is released December 5 from Carina Press as part of "A Clockwork Christmas" Anthology.

So what do you think, is this writer's block or merely a case of understandable cover envy?

8 comments:

  1. That is definitely a gorgeous cover. Knowing you, I'd say it is just cover envy and you'll have your writing groove back in no time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's not writer's block, it's definitely a good solid case of procrastination. Btw, I checked out pippasass.com LOL. What? You all should've known I would. They have this great video and song called Famous for Nothing lol. So funny. Okay enough PROCRASTINATION for the day. Heather it's time we get down to business. <3 ya but you're only allowed so much per day and you've had your fill lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and yes! That is a beautiful cover and I'm completely envious of it. I'll have to check that out because it sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine - Sadly, I did sit and study the elements in her cover, and then went prowling over at fotolia. My little addiction. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzie - we must procrastinate far too well. LOL. Glad you enjoyed pippasass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMAO! Pippasass.com?!?!? LOVE IT!

    Writer's Block??? Phooey! Didn't you just release a new title after a marathon several weeks of doing nothing but writing/editing? Your brain is taking a much-deserved break. Let it enjoy the peace and quiet for a bit!! Then set a date in your calendar for when you officially "go back to work." I'm sure you'll be exploding with ideas and brilliant prose :)

    But I'm just glad that whatever you're suffering from led you to Pippasass.com! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jerrica - I wish I did well with peace and quiet. What usually happens is that some other character's pop into my head. I have a folder full of plot snippets. I just don't type fast enough. So sad. LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone deserves a break, and you are full of good ideas, or something. ;)

    That cover is awesome, and the story sounds great, too.

    ReplyDelete