Our Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Playing Hooky: My day in wine country


I admit, I play hooky a lot. I didn't get to do it in high school very much, so ever since then, I've taken all the opportunities I could. I went to the college classes I really liked and played hooky a lot with the ones I didn't. Any job I've held could have expected me to be out once every couple of weeks. And even now, working for myself, I tend to beg off and go do something fun quite often.


This past Friday, after a week of great focus and productivity, my hubby and I grabbed our friends and we made our way up to the North Fork of Long Island. Most people don't realize, but this rural part of Long Island is chock full of wineries! It's like a mini Sonoma, with vineyards and farm stands and quaint little towns with tea rooms and antique shops.


In 1973, Alex and Louisa Hargrave arrived in the North Fork to plant the very first vineyard, and met with great success! Almost 40 years later, there are 30 wineries in the North Fork, and a whopping 60 wineries total on Long Island. Many of the wines are award winning, and Long Island has been called "one of the country's most exciting wine producing regions today."


For folks like us who live in a big city, getting out to the country for a day can be rejuvenating and inspiring! Too bad the traffic getting back home was abysmal! I hope you enjoyed your traffic-free tour of Long Island's wine country.

Where do you go when you want to play hooky?

8 comments:

  1. Oh! It looks like you had so much fun!! I don't think I ever play hooky. And I didn't in school either. I was always a rule follower. If I'm supposed to be somewhere, I'm there. But I do schedule in vacations. In fact, next week my son and I are headed to the Caribbean - St. Thomas, St Martin/Maarten (we'll see both the French and Dutch sides - if you're wondering about the spelling) and The Bahamas. I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome, Ava! I think Eric and I are going to head to St. Thomas in January - I'm going to need to get away from the snow!!! It's hard to justify a caribbean vacation when it's smoldering here and we have a kick-a$$ pool :) Have fun! We want to see lots of pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I have never been to a vineyard, but's it on The List. Ava- I love St. Martin! Have a great time- the beaches there are the best.
    My get away usually involves time completely alone, so I would say Barnes and Noble is my go-to spot. I just like being surrounded by books and coffee, haha! Occasionally I take the long way back from the store, driving with the windows open and the radio cranked up, singing (badly) at the top of my lungs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somewhere that the weather is the complete opposite of what we're having. ;)

    I play hooky by taking a long bubble bath with a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had a bubble bath in years, Marquita! That sounds lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olivia, my first message got eaten!! But I used to love to spend all day at B&N - it's a great getaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I would love to go to one, Jerrica! We have plenty around here but no one to watch the little one. So hopefully soon, I can get a break and take a trip for myself. Would be so nice. Beautiful pictures btw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post. We have wineries about an hours drive away but, since I'm not a big drinker, I haven't been too often. In recent years, I've escaped to a local bookshop but it recently closed. Guess I'll have to think of a new escape. Summer is coming soon - maybe I'll head to the beach instead.

    ReplyDelete