Our Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Saying Goodbye

Saturday I visited our local Borders, and I will probably (hopefully) visit one more time if I get the chance. As you all know, they are going out of business. I don't know how many are still open across the country but I am glad ours still is. I wasn't alone in this visit either. My husband, daughter and son were with me. And, as always, we split the moment we were in the door, walking to our favorite sections.

I knew everything must be sold, but I took this to mean the books, cds, dvds, games, etc. Nope, it also meant the furniture, things from the cafe and so on. There were stickers on the individual bookshelves as sold. I would have loved to have some bookshelves. Of course, I am not sure where I would have put them, but I do have big dreams of having a two story libary one day with shelves so high you need a ladder to roll along the top so I need to climb and get the book I wish. Or better yet, a narrow balcony I can walk along on the second story.

Have you ever seen the movie My Fair Lady? Well, I want Professor Higgins' library. It is too bad I live in a ranch house because the only way I am going to get my dream library is either sell and move into a two story or add a second floor on top of our house. Either way, it sounds like a lot of work and expense so I will just dream about owning that library one day.

I used to visit Borders all of the time and met with a previous critique group in the cafe to discuss our lates WIPs. I pretty much divided my time between the local Borders and Barnes & Noble, depending on what mood struck me or where I happened to be shopping the day I wanted to also visit a bookstore.

But, life got busier and with my book budget shrinking, I visited less and less. It is very dangerous for me to be in a bookstore (just ask my husband), and yesterday was no exception. After walking and reading my way through most sections, I ended up with more than I intended to buy. Of course, this shouldn't surpise me, it happens every time.

Among my finds were:

The Enigma o Hastings by Edwin Tetlow

Pirates of Barbary * Corsairs, Conquests, and Captivity in the 17th-Century Mediterranean by Adrian Tinniswood

The Princes in the Tower by Alison Weir

Rites of Peace, the Fall of Napoleon and The Congress of Vienna by Adam Zamoyski

Napoleon's Wars: An International History, 1803 - 1815 by Charles Esdaile

Conquest, Tribute, and Trade, the Quest for Precious Metals and the Birth of Globalization by Howard J. Erlichman

The White Queen (audiobook) by Philippa Gregory

The Red Queen (audiobook) by Philippa Gregory

The Confession (audiobook) by John Grisham

My husband walked away with two books and a Kobo Reader, the daughter two books and a CD, and my son, one book (he is not the reader in the family and the first one to be waiting outside for us to finish so we could go to dinner).

Each of the books fueled my imagantion for use in future novels and research. As for the audiobooks, purely entertainment for driving to and from work, and any other place I need to go. Ever since I listened to my first audiobook I've been addicted. I very rarely take time to just sit and read a book any longer because I feel like I need to be working, writing, editing, cleaning, etc., and audiobooks feed that need to just get into a good fictional story.

It is sad to see Borders go. It has been there for so long and one of those places you always expected to be waiting with open doors for me to enter and get my fill of fiction and non-fiction.

So, goodbye local Borders, you will be missed.

4 comments:

  1. Well said, Amy! It's the closing of the last chapter of an era and it's sad to see it go. But the future is still bright with tons of possibilities. I'm looking forward to seeing where publishing ends up. So I raise my glass to Borders who brought the gift of reading to so many throughout the year. Thanks for bringing it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my first jobs was at Borders, working as a temp Christmas employee during the seasonal rush. I worked in the children's section and loved every minute of it. I remember how novel a concept Borders was back then--what? You can eat and drink and read as much as you want in a bookstore? It was, and I think still would be, a great place to hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My localish Borders closed almost six months ago now. I really miss having somewhere to browse for non-fiction books. If I get desperate, I might plan a trip down to Sydney for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I'm late, but thought I'd chime in and say that it is indeed very sad to see the bookstores closing. I'm torn, though, since I'm an e-published author! lol. I hope that we'll see the dawn of a different kind of "bookstore" - perhaps one where they hand you an e-reader to enjoy while you sip your coffee? Sort of like the listening stations at a record store. Like Suzie said, it will be exciting to see where publishing ends up.

    ReplyDelete