Our Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Unpredictability

Yesterday, I extolled the virtues of having set routines in place in order to get my work done.

For the last three weeks, though, I haven't been able to live with my normal routines. I had a scratched cornea (thank you, dear, sweet, little kitten), which made it virtually impossible to look at a computer monitor. Well, I couldn't very well edit or write if I couldn't keep my eye open, could I? Nope.

Once the scratch healed, I developed pink eye in the same eye. Yep, another several days where my eye wasn't functioning properly.

Oh, yeah, and my sister had to go to the hospital and has been there for nearly two weeks. So...I've been taking care of her cat, who needed a few vet appointments, in addition to regular care and attention. Plus I've been going to visit my sister when I can. Now, the cat needs an antibiotic twice a day.

So routines? Yeah, they're gone. I haven't had the same schedule for two days in a row. I'm editing when I can, writing when I can...and somehow, finding out that I can still be productive even amidst the chaos my life has become.

It's taken an adjustment period, no doubt. It was rocky there at the beginning. But I've learned to edit in batches and get it out, and to write in any spare minute when I can. On Twitter, people will do #1K1Hr bursts, which I've participated in to try to get some words on the page. Sometimes, I've had to shorten mine to #500in30, though.

While I may not be writing as fast as I'd like to write or editing as fast as I'd like to edit, I'm still getting it done. And frankly, I think my writing has been a little better because of it. I haven't been able to take the time to plot in such a detailed manner as I usually do. Instead, I've been plotting on the fly at times, and loving the results.

Are you someone who normally has to just carve out work time as you can? Have you found a way to cope with this? If you're a routine love like me, do you have a plan in place for if life tosses your routine out the window?

6 comments:

  1. When life dumps me at the bottom of the barrel, I usually just stop writing. I can't be in real life and concentrate on my writing. So I find it's easier to just stop writing until real life gives me a break.

    I hope your sister is okay. And your eye is healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, good question. I do like to have a routine but it often goes by the wayside. I have a plan in place for when my daughter goes back to school next week which involves me getting down to my work in progress and actually doing something with it! I do hope I stick to that routine!

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, I wish I could just stop writing and focus on life...but writing pays the bills! LOL. My sister is being released today. Yay! Thanks for stopping by.

    CJ, good luck with getting some writing done once your kiddo is back in school. It's always difficult to make the transition from not writing to writing again for me. I get there, but it takes some stops and starts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love routine when it comes to writing. I love getting up in the morning, having a cuppa and then getting down to it. I treat it like a day job, but it's the best job I've ever had.

    I, too, have had a major curve ball thrown at me. I'm facing some medical issues I never thought I'd have to worry about at my age. The doctors are fairly certain that I have MS. So I've just come through a bad period where I couldn't concentrate on the tiniest thing. You know, crying in the bathtub when no one's around.

    Last week was better, I wrote every day, it was great. I guess when the horse bucks you off you just have to get back on. Easy words to say, hard words to follow sometimes.

    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, goodness. Wendy, I hope you get it all sorted out. But yeah, like you said...we've just got to find a way to get through it and keep going. No one ever said life was going to be easy. Good luck to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The biggest problem I had intitally was convincing my family that while I'm in the house on a weekday I'm not available for social calls. They always turned up in the midst of important scene and you just can't turn family away. Touch wood, there have been few major disruptions due to illnesses. But if they occurred, I think I'd take an unsceduled holiday. School holidays are a low work period for me. It's better to lower my expectations when the kids are around than get frustrated by it.

    ReplyDelete