Our Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

A foray into the Unknown

*Please note the photos in this post have been removed. I will update with new photos once I have more time. Thank you.*

As some of you may have figured out by now, I am the least likely to be called anything remotely similar to a lady. I can be blunt, in-your-face, with a just a dash of bawdiness. I’m an action junkie and you have to have a heck of a hook to reel me in. I’m so used to edge of the cliff action thrillers like James Rollins and Steve Berry, or wonderful historical romance writers like Marsha Canham that write realism into every page that it’s very difficult to draw me into a story.

And I won’t lie, I swore when the regency craze started that I would NEVER write a regency romance. I just didn’t think writing about balls and dancing could be interesting enough to keep my ADD self happy for very long. But that was before I met and fell in love with each of my regency crit partners who bring a dash of something different to each of their stories. And *hangs my head in shame* I must admit I am becoming more and more captivated by this fascinating era of romance, intrigue, and mystery.

This era is ripe with conflict. I’m amazed at some of the things I’ve managed to dig up and I’ve spent hours reading about this little part of history. It’s truly amazing how much change the world in general went through in so short a time, isn’t it?

So when Ava Stone decided we should all write a regency Christmas anthology together I admit I was hesitant. I mean what do I know about the regency era? I know about ships and all things nautical, cowboys, and castles but I didn’t have a clue anything regency. I don’t even think I’ve read but a handful. Not to mention how different it would be from my normal “voice.” And then Ava said, “It doesn’t have to be like a traditional regency. Take your voice and what you know (like ships) and use it.” So the idea was planted in my head and it took root. Well twenty thousand words later, I’ve written the end to my short story and I’m hoping regency readers will like my version of the regency era. Because I’ll be honest, I’ve taken the ton by storm and dropped them on their proverbial heads LOL. They don’t really know what to think about my characters and it was truly a blast writing it. It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, and I realize that but then again maybe it will. I would never have known if I hadn’t tried. So I’ll remember to thank Ms. Ava Stone for the hours upon hours of wasted time as I’m researching lol.

This little foray into the regency world has fueled more than a curiosity about the time period. So, I’ve planned a new series of full length novels and I can’t wait to write them.

This world is full of fascinating stuff! I ran across this little jewel at Amazon that I am going to get The Regency Underworld by Donald A. Low http://www.amazon.com/Regency-Underworld-Donald-Low/dp/0750921218

Smuggling during the regency era has become a new fascination for me and I’m delving in with both feet. I’ve found a few good websites but I’m still on the prowl for books. Here’s a few I’ve found: http://auroraregency.blogspot.com/2011/03/cornish-smugglers-by-fenella-j-miller.html

Absolutely loved this website on smuggling it was full of information and I’m hoping someone can give me a book that is similar as I’m really into this kind of research. http://www.smuggling.co.uk/history.html

And don’t get me started on the weapons and war with Napoleon as we’ll be here all day. Here’s a little gem I ran across http://www.warof1812.ca/weapons.html


And I’m sure you all already know about this one http://janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/ which has excellent info too. So I’m really interested now and I plan to dig deeper into the smuggling world and darker side of the regency.

So fill me up with what you know. Drop me some links, recommend some books, and I challenge you to show me your expertise. What is the most unusual thing you’ve run across in your research that others may or may not know? Dazzle me, ladies and gents. The ball is in your home court now. Show me whacha got!


9 comments:

  1. I think I have already shared this one with you, but I use thenonesuch.com quite a bit. It has many parts to it, but it have a Regency Lexicon, that has been very helpful to me. I think the MOST helpful thing for me though has been to read. I read lots and LOTS of historical and Regency era books before I started writing one. It may not help with actual fact finding, but it gives you a sense of how people thought and acted, and also what readers like in a Regency novel. I can't wait to read the new series, when you write it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you did. I remember it now. I've bookmarked that site! Thanks Olivia. And I agree I really need to get reading more regency books, feel free to toss out some recommendations. I still have about four projects ahead of this one so there is still plenty of time for that. Reading is probably the best teacher sometimes. Excellent advice. Thanks for stopping in Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the language of regency. I've found a regency lexicon you might like to check out.
    http://www.thenonesuch.com/lexicon.html

    Of course, I love to immerse myself in real things when I'm trying to find inspiration, so I have a antiques site for you.
    http://antiques.rubylane.com/antiques/,c=Antiques_Regency,id=4.5.49.html

    And for my last link, I've got a collection of art from the era. I particularly recommend the "fast" parlor games section. Very interesting stuff.
    http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/rgnclfil.html

    Hope you enjoy checking out my links.
    April Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, I have many links for this era. I'm more fascinated with how they dress than anything. I actually like the style of dress in the Victorian era better, but I still do enjoy Regencies. I don't write traditional Regency, either...and really, neither do my favorite authors. lol Perhaps that's why I enjoy writing "Regency set" instead of traditional. Anyway, I wanted to let you know I think you did a wonderful job with your first Regency set story!!! Of course...I adore your stories anyway!

    ~Phyllis~

    ReplyDelete
  5. April! Excellent links, they've all gone into my favorites! Thank you so much!

    Phyllis I love how they dress too, it's so romantic. And you're so sweet! And I'm like you I like to go outside the norm somtimes which you do brilliantly. Thanks for stopping in you two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww! You're so sweet, Suzie! I am so glad you enjoyed your part of the anthology and I can't wait for readers to get a taste of your Regency world. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzie,

    A good basic book to get is Jennifer Kloster's "Georgette Heyer's Regency World." I'm still building my library, but I find this book is often a good starting point. I also refer to this website a lot http://chinet.com/~laura/html/titles01.html when I have quesitons about titles. Then the rest of the time I search when I have an idea. I've found some good resources on Google Books, too. And I'm a member of the Beau Monde and they have tons of resources.

    I'm glad to have you venturing into the regency world. It will never be a dull ride with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue has got to be in your library. If you can access the website, you can get a PDF copy or you can buy it from Amazon, used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ava I never would have had the courage to try if not for you, so thanks.

    Thanks for all the great suggestions Samatha and Ella, I'm so glad you stopped by. Thanks again everyone!

    ReplyDelete