Our Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

SHOUT against the Whisper!

Once again I find myself procrastinating about my blog and searching for inspiration. I swear it's becoming a habit. Maybe even my *thing*.

Please note that this week's inspiration is brought to you by the letters R and G.

Inspiration
Yes, it's that Ryan Gosling of The Notebook movie fame. *le sigh*

Anyway, now onto Lady Valentine's Top Five Gems of Knowledge gleaned from the internet while searching for inspiration:

  1. Every person has a unique tongue print. I've found a new way to sign my mortgage check. Huzzah!
  2. It's impossible to lick your elbow. Um, not sure why I'd need to...
  3. 15 percent of Americans bite their toes. That's just wrong on so many levels.
  4. Approximately one-third of the population can't snap their fingers! Oh, snap...Or not.
  5. President Obama proclaimed September to be National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month.
Heather McCollum , fellow Heart of Carolina Romance Writers member, was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer this past year. And "SHOUT against the Whisper!" is her motto. Ovarian Cancer strikes so quietly that many women don't know they've had the symptoms until it's too late.  They include: Persistent Bloating, Eating less and feeling fuller, Abdominal Pain, and Trouble with your bladder. Get yourself check out if these symptoms are daily and last for weeks at a time. 

There are many ways you can help support getting the word out and contribute to Ovarian Cancer Research:

Avon's K.I.S.S. and Teal Campaign. Buy a book with a special Teal Ribbon and Avon has committed to donating 25 cent from the sale of each book (print or e-book), up to $50,000.


If you're in the Raleigh-Durham Area, Lady Jane's RDU Salon is having their inaugural salon this month in Cary, North Carolina.  Featured readers are NYT Best-selling Author Sabrina Jeffries, Heather McCollum and Lydia Dare. Admission is $5 or one gently used romance novel. All proceeds go to benefit The Shout Against The Whisper Campaign and the Wake County Public Library System.


And if you don't live in Raleigh, you can still support Heather directly by going here to purchase raffle tickets to win a FIRST CHAPTER CRITIQUE from one of SIX multi-published, award-winning, best-selling authors.

Working together to support this cause, we CAN find the cure to Ovarian Cancer, but until then we must continue to "SHOUT against the Whisper!"

Will you pledge to tell your friends about Ovarian Cancer? One random commentor will win an autographed copy of a K.I.S.S and Teal author's latest release. Please remember to leave your email address!

I wanted to end with one of my favorite songs that was featured on Stand Up to Cancer. 






25 comments:

  1. Marquita, thank you for spreading the word about the symptoms of Ovarian Cancer. Women need to know the symptoms and their own bodies so they can detect OC early enough to stop it. There is no screening test for this disease as yet. Avon, SHOUT against the Whisper!, and the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance are all working hard to raise awareness and funds so that researchers can devise a screening test (just like for cervical cancer). I hope everyone who visits Lady Scribes today will help us spread the word too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Marquita! I will definitely be picking up a book or two from the KISS and Teal campaign! Love the other 4 gems of knowledge, too! Do you know who CAN lick their elbows? The slow loris! And if they do, you better RUN! It means they're about to bite you and their bite is deadly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Katharine- I knew nothing about the symptoms of Ovarian Cancer, and now that I do, I want everyone woman out there to know, too!

    Thanks for stopping by and being a part of Avon's K.I.S.S. and Teal as well as Critiques for Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. KISS & Teal is such a fabulous idea! There are teal ribbons tied around trees & signs all thru the town I live in. It's good to call attention to this issue of Ovarian cancer as we all go about our busy lives.
    sallans d at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jerrica - Thanks! I strive to impart knowledge of all kinds while on my search for inspiration ;)

    And I hope to God I never meet a slow loris licking their elbow. What the heck is one anyway? It sounds like something that would be on Dora The Explorer.... hee!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Di- How pretty your town must look. And what great conversation starters. There can never be too much knowledge shared, right?

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving your email address!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marquita- I understand. I get sucked into the wild world of useless knowledge whenever I start a new line of research for a book, lol! And, yes, i read that and tried to lick my elbow. Oh, c'mon! Like you all didn't! (BTW, you're right, I can't.)
    Thanks for sharing about OC. It is so important to be aware of our bodies and the things they try to tell us. I can't wait for Lady Jane's in a few weeks, and I just know we will have a great turnout and raise a lot of money for Duke and Shout Against The Whisper. You can also follow Shout Against The Whisper on Facebook, for those of you who didn't know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Olivia- I tried licking my elbow. Hot Builder (the husband) walked in and caught me doing it. He asked if I needed help...

    The link in the blog post for Shout against the Whisper! *should* take everyone who clicks on it to the facebook page. And Lady Jane's Salon WILL be a blast!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To be honest until I started seeing information on facebook, I really didn't think too much about ovarian cancer when I get my yearly exam. I also didn't realize that there are no tests for it. I will never try to get out of another ultrasound when my doc says that I need one.
    I got an app to follow my cycle and also write notes for my ipod, it has made it easier for me not to forget to tell my doctor anything. It defintely made it easier answering questions and also asking them this year.
    Make sure you make a list of questions before seeing your doctor, and also keep a diary of how your body feels. Your doc will be able to get a clearer picture if he can read the notes about how you felt at the time something's wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Ora-Great suggestions- not to mention quick and easy! (My mind goes tends to go blank when my doctor asks me if I have any questions or want to talk about anything.)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been doing my part about bringing awareness to the symptons of Ovarian Cancer by posting the link on my Facebook page a few times. I've also had the K.I.S.S. and Teal Logo as my profile picture for the last two weeks. I want to make as many women as possible aware of the symptons of Ovarian Cancer so as they can get checked out before it's too late.

    I would love to win Katharine's newest book release "In The Arms of a Marquess". I've read her other two Lord of the Seas books and thoroughly enjoyed them.

    Thank you for "Shouting Out" against this silent killer.

    dpd333 AT aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the info, usless and useful! I will be telling my friends about ovarian cancer awareness. If their like me they won't realize the signs.

    Candy
    cgorcsi@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Diane- Thank you for doing your part. Every little bit helps!

    Aren't Katharine's books wonderful?!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Candy- Glad you enjoyed it! And thank you for telling your friends. I didn't know the signs either, but I'm so thankful to be aware of them.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful thing to be doing. Luckily, I've never known anyone that has this particular cancer but wouldn't it be wonderful to find a cure and for all cancers for that matter. Thanks for a great post.

    catslady5(at)aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Biting their toes--really? That's bizarre. And 15% is a huge number, too! Hmm, I wonder how many people bite their fingernails. It must be like 50%, right?

    Thanks for the funny post, and thanks for supporting the cause!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As always, informational and funny! Thanks for the symptoms of ovarian cancer. I didn't know there were any. You're so smart and handy w/ a computer! I wish I had your skills!! Guess who?! : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. @catslady5- Isn't it great how women are coming together to get the word out and support the Ovarian Cancer Research efforts for a cure?! Hopefully one day the word cancer a thing of the past!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Sabrina- There were facts even more bizarre than that. But I bet you know a lot of strange to us customs,globe-trotting lady!

    And I'm super excited to hear you read from Gabe's book at Lady Jane's (RDU) reading salon. I know a whole bunch of other readers are too!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Anonymous-Mo-om, I told you not to post stuff like that. hee! Just kidding, I know it's you, Michelle!!!

    Aren't those symptoms so easy to ignore? And it's so easy to get tested once you know the facts- thank goodness!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post. :)

    And yummmmm to RG. I'd like to test out my tongue print on him. <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Karen- Great idea! Surely, the theory needs to be tested and he's the perfect candidate for it. ;)


    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so glad to see the efforts going toward raising awareness of ovarian cancer as well as efforts to raise money for research.

    In my home town, we just had 5,000 walkers for our Stepping Out in Pink event to raise money for local research and mammograms for women who can't afford them. I hope some day we will see the same strides (no pun intended)being made with the fight against ovarian cancer. Avon is doing a great thing by getting the ball rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Samantha- 5,000 walkers?!!! That's amazingly awesome! And I'm with you;I hope to see those strides as well.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats to Candy!!! I'll be emailing you today!!

    Thanks everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete