Our Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Don’t dally with a vampire...

*** Spoiler Alert ***

I’m pretty sure that those words have been spoken, written and thought more often this week than at any other time. Yep, I just got back from watching Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1 and I swear giving birth to my kids was ‘as easy as breathing’ compared to that birth scene today. Was I traumatized as some headlines claim?

Well, no. I’d read the book so I knew what to expect from this latest edition to our screens. There were parts I waited for (the broken bed and feathers), parts missing (Alice and Jacob moment), others I don’t remember being quite so funny. I think Breaking Dawn wins for most awkward (Bella’s mom singing) and outstanding (Charlie’s mention of a gun) wedding toasts ever. I also don’t remember Bella chasing Edward so hard after they married to roll around in bed again. Mind you, I give her full marks for trying! Way to go Mrs. Cullen.


Would I see Breaking Dawn again? Absolutely. I’m considering another movie date next week just so I can watch the wedding again.

But what did my darling beloved think of it? He’d never read the book, or paid much attention to past movies before, so he went in with no expectations whatsoever. His rating: 4 ½ stars out of five. See it again? That’s an affirmative. But ...

Some of the most important stuff from the book flew right over his head. How exactly the baby was delivered? Oh, did he use his teeth? Missed that. The imprinting between Jacob and Renesmee he missed the importance of totally.



So the question for those who’ve stayed with the post (I’m assuming you saw Breaking Dawn already) what did you think? See again? Movie wrecked the book? I’d love to hear your thoughts on what I’ve forgotten from the book and was missing from the movie.

4 comments:

  1. I actually haven't seen the movie yet, but practically have the books memorized! I think I'll wait until it hits Redbox, I don't usually too many things in the theater, and this isn't worth literally dragging my husband by his ear to watch, lol... But, I am looking forward to sitting down on the comfort of my couch, with a bowl of popcorn, and enjoying myself thoroughly -true to the book or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read all the books, and I absolutely loved the first movie interpretation, and then I was totally bummed by the next two, so I wasn't sure I wanted to go see this. Based on your review, it sounds like it may be worth the time.

    On a random note, my family and I are living in Bangalore, India and this is the first movie I've seen listed as "A" or adults above 18 only. Thought that was interesting since it's only PG-13 in the US. I wonder whether it's the explicit sex or the icky emergency C-section?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only read the first book. I saw three movies and laughed so hard on the last two because I watched them at home with my husband who has a habit of adding to anything we watch. I honestly can't even remember what happened in the other two movies.

    I love that the Twilight Saga has won so many fans and stirred an interest in reading. It just never hooked me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read all the books, seen all the movies. I'm a Twihard, but mainly because of the books. The movies...well, I think they're great for a laugh. Lots of camp!! I totally Mystery Science Theater them when I watch them. LOL!

    What I think really ruined the movies for me was when Vampire Diaries came to the small screen. Better looking people who are better actors, better production values and just an all-around better plot. I'm seriously obsessed! LOL!

    ReplyDelete