Our Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

Interview with author Callie Hutton

Please help me welcome a wonderful author Callie Hutton!

Callie’s been making up stories in her head since elementary school, and writing since she learned to type in high school. 
She loves falling in love, did it herself, and now enjoys writing about it. And yes, she falls in love with all her heroes.

Although she’s lived in several states, Oklahoma is where she’s hung her hat for the last several years, but she originally hails from New Jersey. An Okie-Jersey girl. And proud of it.

Her hubby supports all her ventures, truly being the wind beneath her wings. They have three children, with two still at home. And they’re happy their two dogs allow them to share their home.

What genre(s) do you write? I write Historical Romance, primarily. I have a contemporary novella coming out with TWRP in 2012.

Are you a plotter or a pantser? Both. I do a character sketch, and a brief outline of the book before I start. But I don’t follow it exactly, and change as I go along. By the middle of the book, I have a pretty good idea how the rest of it will go, although that can always change.

Why do you think people should choose your books over another author? Because I write the type of story that is both funny and serious in parts. When I re-read my manuscripts, I find myself laughing and crying even though I wrote it.

What do you hope readers take with them after reading one of your stories? I hope they take away a good feeling with them. I love a book or movie that makes me smile at the end, and say “Aww.” I hope readers will react that way to mine.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? I tend to write about strong women who want a man who loves them for themselves. As I said in one of my books, he loves her because of her peculiarities, not in spite of them. My heroes don’t always recognize that in the beginning, but by the end…they know.

How long have you been a writer? Since I could hold a pencil. I made up stories in my head since I was a child.  It was how I lulled myself to sleep. Some nights I was anxious to go to bed so I could continue my story. Even now I’ll make up stories about people when I’m in a crowd. Although I’ve had articles published over the years, it wasn’t until last summer that I decided to write a book.
 

Please tell us 5 miscellaneous facts about yourself.
·         I once interviewed Peter Lawford for a magazine.
·         I was an ‘extra’ in a Bette Midler movie.
·         My first published story was in a magazine from Scotland.
·         I’ve lived in seven states.
·         I read over 200 books a year.

Please leave a comment with your email to win a digital copy of Callie's new book!

You can find Callie at www.calliehutton.com, or on facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Callie-Hutton/206166449404454

A Wife by Christmas

High School Principal Max Colbert needs to get rid of that pesky History teacher, Ellie Henderson. Getting her married off is the perfect solution, except everyone he introduces her to doesn’t seem right.
            In 1906 Guthrie, Oklahoma, History teacher, Ellie Henderson, has been a thorn in High School Principal Max Colbert’s side ever since he took over three months ago. When she’s not flying by his office, late for her class, with books and papers jumbled in her arms, she’s attending Suffragettes meetings against his orders.
            Because of her family connections, he can’t fire her, but he can certainly find someone to marry her, and keep her busy in the kitchen. And far away from his school. Max soon finds that what seemed like a good idea can turn into disaster when Miss Ellie Henderson is involved. The woman is a master at getting into trouble.
            With the Christmas season in full swing, he has many opportunities to introduce her to prospective husbands. However, the uncomfortable feeling is growing that no one is worthy of the minx…

Excerpt:

Max Colbert glared at the woman perched on the edge of the chair across from him.  History teacher Ellie Henderson had been a thorn in his side the size of the Oklahoma sky ever since he’d been appointed principal of Logan County High School three months ago.
She sat there, humming. Humming! His gut twisted and he clenched his jaw.  Drat the woman for being so unconcerned while he fumed.  It was important to get his emotions under control, needed his years of experience to kick in.  He took a deep breath and leaned forward.  “Miss Henderson, your unapproved activities have gone too far. I am going to have to fire you.”
            Ellie’s right eyebrow rose, meeting him glare for glare. “No. You can’t.”
            “Yes I can, and I am.” Blood rushed to his face.
            She stood and placed both palms on his desk, and leaned in. “I will tell my Uncle Jesse.”
            Max pushed his chair back and got to his feet. He moved close enough to see the light dusting of freckles across her nose. “It won’t make any difference.”
            “It will if you plan to be Territorial Superintendent of Schools.” They were now almost nose-to-nose.
            Beads of sweat broke out on his forehead. “I will get that job on my own merit.”
Not without Senator Jesse Cochran’s endorsement.”  Her hazel eyes narrowed.
His jaw tightened, his mouth working as if to say something. Then like a rag doll, he collapsed into his seat and leaned back, eyes closed. “Miss Henderson, you are a pebble in my shoe.”
            “And you, Mr. Colbert, are a horse’s behind.”
            He opened one eye. She again sat primly on the edge of her seat, adjusting her skirts.  The two red dots on her cheeks the only indication of her anger.
“You may leave now,” he said through gritted teeth.
            Ellie bowed her head slightly. “As you wish.” She stood, smoothed back the hair always loose from her bun.  With head held high, she sailed from the room, closing the door softly. Her skirt stuck in the door. She re-opened it, yanked the skirt, and banged the door shut.
Max winced at the sound. His left eye twitched.

28 comments:

  1. Callie thanks so much for joining us here! Love the interview and this has been on my wish list for a while now. Now that I'm almost done moving in and getting settled I'm hoping to catch up on my tbr pile! And I can't wait to read it! And that is so awesome to be an extra in a Bette Midler movie! I love her she's hilarious!

    Good luck, Callie and thanks again for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having me, Suzie. I appreciate it. Now that you're all moved in, it's time for Christmas, lol. No breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read Callie's first book, A Run for Love and loved it. I look forward to reading this one too.

    Good luck with this new release and future books. I know you will keep us entertained ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL no kidding, Callie. It's been crazy here since November and I haven't taken a breath yet. Here's to the New Year because I'm really looking forward to it at this point LOL.

    BJ Scott I can't wait to read it, too and thanks so much for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Callie! Look at that, I've known you for awhile now as cp's but I never knew you were an extra in a movie, or that you interviewed Peter Lawford! Love learning all of these 'secrets'!

    Congrats with your book releases and your upcoming one...much success to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Barb. Loved your Highland Legacy, also, (as you know). Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Christine. Looking forward to your release Some Like it in Handcuffs in March. Especially since you wrote that before we were CPs, so I haven't read it.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have A Run for Love and can't wait to read it!! I'm so thrilled for Callie and all her success!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great read. I went right over and bought. Everyone needs to buy a few gifts for themselves during the holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like strong women characters and it's even better when they find a man who loves them for who they are. You book sounds like a great read. I like the time period.

    Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Tess. You know I love your books! I appreciate you stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Beth, Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm all for buying gifts for myself. I least I know the right size, and what I like, lol.

    Hope you enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Na,

    So glad you visited. My female characters are all a little 'different.' Ah, but they find the man who appreciates them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Callie,

    Thanks for joining us today. The book sounds great. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The storyline peaked my interest. Thanks for the opportunity!

    journeythroughwords at yahoo dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Jane. I had a lot of fun writing it, actually. It still makes me laugh.

    Hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Carrie. Ellie from that story is the youngest niece in A Run For Love that released November 23rd. It was fun re-visiting the family so many years later.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful cover, I just cannot say that too many times! Wow on the five facts! Bette Midler, too cool! Which movie? And Peter Lawford... there's a name you don't hear every day! Congrats on your wonderful success Okie sister!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Calisa. The movie was "Jinxed", a quite forgettable one, lol.

    So glad you liked the cover and thanks so much for the review.

    Looking forward to your release of Home on December 28th. Getting close, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for blogging today, Callie! What an exciting five facts! Did you actually get to meet Bette Midler? her voice is glorious!

    Congrats on the upcoming release!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice to meet you, Callie. Your book sounds wonderful! Funny excerpt. We don't have politics mixed up in the running of our schools here in Australia like America does and I find the idea really fascinating. I'm sure other readers will love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Marquita,

    Didn't get to meet Ms Midler, but our scene involved me walking right in front of her, and I was terrified I would walk into her. But I didn't. lol.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Heather,

    So glad you stopped by. I appreciate you visiting. Yea, here in the US, politics seems to get mixed up in way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Callie! Stopping in to say Hi! Best of luck with your new release!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks, Casey. Appreciate your support.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Callie, you are one busy author. Whoo Hoo! Good luck with all your upcoming releases.

    I have read A Run For Love and it was a great story. Very romantic.

    -Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Cheryl. I appreciate you stopping by. Enjoy your trip with your grandsons.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I want to extend my appreciation to Lady Scribes, and Suzie Grant for having me here today. Thank you so much, ladies.

    ReplyDelete