Monday, December 12, 2011
Top 5 Ways to Stay Sane During the Holidays
The span of time between mid-November and about January 5th is the WORST time of year for me. Not that I don't love it -- I do. It's just that it can be such a stressful time, what with Thanksgiving, Black Friday, my anniversary, my birthday, my daughter's birthday (which also happens to be Christmas Day, so she has three parties in the month of December! That's her at her b'day party yesterday with a chocolate goatee!), Christmas Day, New Years and all the tons of traveling we have to do.
Now, I know I'm not the only one stressed out about all the stuff going on at this time of year. I'm sure there are some of you who get to stay home, cuddle by the fire with your loved ones and watch It's a Wonderful Life on TV while you exchange a few meaningful gifts over hot cocoa. But for the rest of us, it's go time!!
So for those of us who have no choice but to run around like chickens with our heads cut off, here are my stay-sane tips for the holidays...
1) Drink....lots of alcohol! If it weren't for the booze, I'd be ripping everyone's heads off. I know, I probably sound like an alcoholic, but I promise I'm not. And I am NOT suggesting you "tie one on" every night! But just a half glass of wine or a light beer at the end of the day can really help take the edge off. Or, if you're feeling more festive, try whipping up a Mexicocoa! Click on the pic to get the recipe...
2) Go to your Happy Place...in your mind, at least. Hubby and I are taking a few days to head to the Caribbean in January. I cannot WAIT. But since I have to, I try to go there in my mind when I'm feeling stressed and annoyed with holiday shoppers who seem to have lost any semblance of human decency. I close my eyes and picture myself swaying gently in a hammock under a palm tree, with a fruity cocktail in my hand (don't worry -- it's always after noon in my visions.)
3) Blow Sh*t Up...as our own Suzie Grant would say. Not for real, silly! For pretend! Find a video game, whether for your XBox, iPhone...whatever...that will let you take your frustrations out on zombies rather than on real people. Or even just a fun game that let's you escape into another world for a bit. I, personally, have gotten hooked on Holiday Town for my iPhone/iPad.
4) Buy Presents...for yourself! I'm really big on rewarding myself for a job well done, and if I get through a trip to the mall without tackling some crazy biatch to the ground, well, I think I deserve a prize, don't you?? Nothing big. It can be as small as a gourmet candy bar (Dylan's candy bars are amazing!), a tube of lip gloss, a yummy smoothie or a pair of fuzzy socks :) Whatever you're feeling in the moment, go for it! You'll feel much better, I promise!
5) Screw It! Seriously. Sometimes, you just have to blow off the 130th holiday party and choose to stay home. There's nothing more important than your health -- both mental and physical -- so stop worrying about who you might be disappointing and just take a night off, for goodness sake! The world won't end because you missed it.
Whatever you do, have a safe and wonderful holiday season! Oh, and don't forget to leave your own tips for surviving the holidays! Leave a comment and be entered to win a prize in the Christmas Summons Prize Extravaganza!!
-Jerrica, Her Grace of Grammar