Our Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A few minutes with ... Jess Dee

Today I am pleased to welcome Aussie author, Jess Dee, to the Lady Scribes Blog. Jess is a multi-published author of scorching hot erotic contemporary romance. She's an amazing storyteller and I'm so proud to have her with us today.

1. Jess, can you tell us a bit about yourself and your work?


I’m a wife and mother and friend. I have a mad dog I absolutely adore, and a house with a (distant) view of the ocean. I grew up in South Africa, but Sydney has been my home for the last nine years. I guess you’d describe me as your average girl next door. Except for one teeny, tiny little detail. The books I write are not the kind of books you’d expect the girl next door to write. ;)

2. What should new readers know before stepping into your world?


Hmmm, I guess a new reader should probably know that those books I write are in fact red-hot and steamy adult romances. Yep, I’m a romance author, but my stories are all no-holds-barred erotic. I write classic M/F erotic romance, not-so classic M/F/M ménage romance, and not-at-all classic M/M/F romance.

3. Describe your typical writing day


Ah, a typical day always begins with a mad scramble to get the kids to school on time (no easy feat, believe me), continues with a very large mug of tea and usually veers straight into procrastination time. Yep, that’s my time for sitting down at my computer and doing everything humanly possible to avoid working. Sometimes I’ll be lucky and the procrastination won’t last too long. Other times it can go on for days. But eventually I’ll find a rhythm and start writing. Usually around the time I’m really getting going and have just found a good pace…I’ll have to break it to fetch the kids and start the regular troop through afternoon extra-mural activities.

4. What is your writing space like? What tools, apps, or programs can't you live without?


In a word? My writing space is a mess. I wish I was one of those people who tidied up all the time and had neat piles and papers stacked away in appropriate places, but I’m not. The truth is, I’m just too busy procrastinating to find time to straighten out my office. However…the room isn’t so bad that I can’t find my Mac. It takes pride and joy in the centre of the desk. I would be lost without it. I don’t use any fancy apps. Just Word, the net and me. (Okay, and email, Facebook and Twitter too.)

5. What is the strangest thing you've ever done in the name of research?


Well, one time at Band camp…
 ;)

Nope, the strangest thing? Hmm, that would be when I was visiting Sexpo (Sex Expo) with a couple of erotic romance author friends, and we stopped at one of the stores and asked the vendor to explain how we could use some of his toys in a ménage setting. His expression was priceless – and he never really did stop stuttering long enough to give us an adequate answer. The fun bit was hypothetically working it out amongst ourselves while he stood there, gaping.

6. Describe your latest release for us


My next book releases on the 31st of Jan at Samhain Publishing. It’s called Hidden Fire, and releases as part of the Red Hot Weekend Anthology, along with books by Lexxie Couper and Delilah Devlin. Hidden Fire is the sequel to Winter Fire, and is a contemporary, erotic, M/F romance set in Brisbane. I love the blurb for this one.


Dirty desires, dark secrets…deepest love

Fire, Book 2

Well, this is an unexpected twist. Jenna Brooks is all set to spend the weekend wallowing in misery, repairing the cracks in the façade she’s maintained for twelve years. Instead she’s…tied to a chair. Kidnapped by her own twin brother and her so-called best friend.

It’s for her own good, they say. She’ll thank them later, they say. But when they reveal her partner in captivity, she shores up her emotional barriers. It’s Garreth Halt. The one man for whom she let her guard down. What a fool she was.

For one electrifying moment, Garreth had Jenna naked in his arms, on the edge of losing her legendary control. Could have kept her there forever, too, if he hadn’t felt honor-bound to tell her the truth. Before she’d heard the whole truth, though, she’d retreated behind the fortress around her heart.

Now they’re knee to knee, with no escape. While he’s irritated he let his alleged best friend get the drop on him, a small part of him is thrilled. With one final chance to show her his love is real, Garreth methodically, wickedly, sets out to dismantle her defenses.

One dirty word at a time.

Product Warnings Garreth may have charmed you in Winter Fire, but this time around, his blatantly sexy demands, even sexier actions and heartwarming love for his heroine are gonna make you fall head over heels.

7. What's next for Jess Dee?


I have some exciting projects coming up this year. In May, a book called Office Affair releasing. I’m busy working on edits for that story now. And in July, the second book in my Speed series, Colors Of Love, releases. It’s the sequel to See You In My Dreams. There are two other books on the cards, but it’s too early for me to be chatting about those yet. (Although I am dying to tell you about them!!!)


Thanks for visiting with us, Jess. If you’re interested in more information about Jess or her books, just click on these links:

Hidden Fire excerpt

Pre-order Hidden Fire: It’s available now for pre-order now at Samhain, at a 30% discount.

Jess’s website
Jess’s blog
Down Under Divas blog
International Heat blog
Jess on Twitter
Jess on Facebook


8 comments:

  1. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Jess!

    I know what you mean about procrastination--and at certain times of the book it is more tempting than others. :-)

    Congrats and best of luck with the new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb

      Thanks for your wishes, and for having me over.

      *Sigh* Procrastination is my second name.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for joining us at Lady Scribes today, Jess! I have the same routine as you do, lol. I sit down and check Twitter, email, Facebook, then write a few paragraphs, check twitter, write few sentences, check Facebook, etc, etc, repeat, repeat, repeat. LMAO... Good luck on your newest release, and get some sun for me- it's 40F here! Brr.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Oivia

      Ah - A writer after my own heart. that's exactly what I do.
      :)

      I would love to get some sun for you, but honestly, it's been raining and miserable here for days. It's hot and humid, but definitely not sunny.

      Delete
  3. I'm sitting here picturing you ladies shocking a man who sells sex toys. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Julie, it was funny.
      But then the whole day was lots and lots of fun.
      ;)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for stopping by LadyScribes, Jess! Congrats on the release and best of luck. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx for having me over Marquita.
      :)

      Delete