Our Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Guest Interview with Paty Jager!

I'd like to take a moment to introduce one of my favorite western author Paty Jager, whom I've been a fan of for years. She writes the Wild West and makes it real. Her characters leap off the page and right into your living room as if they were right there with you. And the best part of her stories is she isn't afraid to break the rules and write uncommon plots and uncommon characters. I love that and I hope you will, too. So c'mon ladies and give a big "Scribe's" welcome to one of my favorite authors, Paty Jager! 

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS:

Thank you Lady Scribes for having me here today.

What genre(s) do you write?
I’ve published historical and contemporary westerns and historical paranormal. I’m currently writing a contemporary action/adventure and mystery series.

Are you a plotter or a pantser?
I’m a plantser. I plot a little and then fly by the seat of my pants. I start with an idea or character and stew and brew the story and/or character in my head a while. Then I start researching and writing bios on the characters and gathering information that will help with plot. Once I’ve determined the opening scene, a turning point or two and know the black moment, I start writing. I don’t make an outline or synopsis before I start writing, I just write keeping in mind the turning points and the ending.

Why do you think people should choose your books over another author?
I can’t tell you why to choose my book over someone else’s book. I can only tell you my books entertain with a smidgeon of humor, intriguing characters, and fast paced prose. And I like to have information in the book that might be enlightening whether it’s historical in nature or about a cause or lifestyle.

What do you hope readers take with them after reading one of your stories?
If they put my book down and feel they’ve been entertained, perhaps moved(not all my books are written to move the reader) and enlightened, I’ve done my job.

Is there a message in your novels that you want readers to grasp?
I tend to like to write about injustice and people finding justice or at least coming out better in the end than when the story started.

How long have you been a writer?
That depends on what you mean by a writer. I’ve written stories all my life but it wasn’t until the 80’s when I became a freelance human interest writer for the local paper that I became a “paid” writer. As for fiction, I started writing a mystery novel five years before I joined RWA(Romance Writers of America) in 1998.  I’m a wordsmith not a mathematician, so you’ll have to do the math. ;)

Please tell us 5 miscellaneous facts about yourself.
1)      I’ve driven in a powder puff derby
2)      I worked in a cosmetic department and a sandwich shop before I was married.
3)      I’ve owned a horse all but five years of my life.
4)      I hate skiing- snow or water.
5)      In high school I wanted to join the Peace Corps.

Bio:
Wife, mother, grandmother, and the one who cleans pens and delivers the hay; award winning author Paty Jager and her husband currently ranch 350 acres when not dashing around visiting their children and grandchildren. She not only writes the western lifestyle, she lives it.

She is a member of RWA, EPIC, WW, and COWG and has eleven books and a short story published. Her newest venture is self-publishing ebooks.  Part of her learning curve for writing happened during the four and a half years she edited for an e-book publisher. 

Her contemporary Western, Perfectly Good Nanny won the 2008 Eppie for Best Contemporary Romance and Spirit of the Mountain, a historical paranormal set among the Nez Perce, garnered 1st place in the paranormal category of the Lories Best Published Book Contest.

You can learn more about her at her blog; www.patyjager.blogspot.com  her website; http://www.patyjager.net or on Facebook; https://www.facebook.com/#!/paty.jager and twitter;  @patyjag.

Logger in Petticoats – Fifth book in the Halsey Brothers Series
Hank Halsey believes he’s found the perfect logging crew—complete with cooks—until he discovers Kelda Neilson would rather swing an axe than flip eggs. As he sets out to prove women belong in the kitchen, he’s the one in danger of getting burned.

Strong and stubborn, Kelda Nielsen grew up falling trees, and resents any man who believes she’s not capable, until Hank. He treats her like a lady and has her questioning what that means.

As Kelda and Hank’s attraction builds, she hires a cook so she can sneak out and work in the woods. But will her deceit ruin her chance at love or will hardheaded Hank realize it’s more than his love that puts a sparkle in Kelda’s eye?

Excerpt for Logger in Petticoats
Kelda already stood by the door, a man’s black wool coat buttoned to her neck and a wool scarf wrapped around her head. Her flushed cheeks shone in the lantern light. Her gaze met his solid and unflappable.
 “If Kelda isn’t back in here in fifteen minutes you can come looking for us.” Hank said to appease Karl as he pulled on his coat,
 “I don’t know what you’re worrying about. No man is going to think of Kelda in the way you’re talking.” The door hadn’t fully closed when Dag’s voice cleared the threshold.
Kelda’s shoulders drooped proving she’d heard her brother’s comment. She walked around the corner of the cookhouse to a fallen log at the backside of the building. Hank wanted to catch up to her and wrap an arm around her shoulders. She was a fine woman. Any man would be dang lucky to have her for a wife. He stood in front of her as she sat on the log, her face pointed toward the men’s logging boots on her feet.
Hank crouched in front of Kelda, tipping her face up to read her emotions. “Your brother sees you only as his sister. You’re a woman any man would be lucky to marry.”
Tears glistened in her eyes. “I’m the size and body of a man. Men want a small delicate woman.” She wiped at the tears, and her hands clutched his. “Don’t make Far keep me out of the woods. It’s all I have to make me happy.”
Pleading in her eyes and voice sucker punched Hank. “Why would you want to work alongside men in the woods? Women belong in the home.”
“I don’t care to work inside. I love the outdoors and the labor of logging. Don’t keep me out of the woods. It’s the one thing I can do well.”
The strong grip of her fingers on his proved her strength. He had no doubt she was a skilled woodsman…woman. He pried her fingers from his hands and held them between his palms. “I’m sorry, but I can’t allow you in the woods. It isn’t proper for a woman to work like that. And what if you prove too weak to handle a job and someone else gets hurt?”
“Ooooo!” Her hands ripped from his grasp and rammed him in the chest. He started tipping backwards and grabbed the first thing in reach—Kelda’s arms.
He fell back into the snow dragging Kelda on top of him.
The surprise in her eyes quickly turned to interest as she gazed down into his face. Her body sprawled across Hank, pressing him into the snow. Even with the heavy clothing, her curves were evident as her relaxed body molded over his.
Hank pushed the scarf back from her face and stared into amazing eyes that glistened from the moonlight bouncing off the snow. Her gaze searched his. The rise and fall of her chest quickened. She licked her lips…
He held her head in his hands. Inch by inch, Hank drew her lips closer, wondering if the heat and passion he’d witnessed in her eyes would be in her kiss.
“Kelda!”
The male voice broke through the insanity of his actions. Hank rolled, rose to his feet, and pulled Kelda up with him.

Buy Links:


26 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining us today, Paty! I love the idea of being a "plantser" instead of a plotter or a pantser. Hmmm...humor, intrigue, and a fast pace? Sounds right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine. Yes, I can' be one or the other. I'm a combo, planster. ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Beth! I'm excited Suzie asked me to stop in.

      Delete
  3. Hi Paty! Welcome to Lady Scribes. I have to say... I hate skiing both snow and water too! :) Good luck with your book it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ava, Thank you for having me here. There's just something about going fast with no protection that doesn't appeal to me.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Paty, thanks for stopping by. Your book sounds great, and I love the way you describe your writing process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I enjoyed being interviewed. Thank you, my writing process is kind of different but it works for me.

      Delete
  5. Paty,

    So happy to have you with us today. Wow! You drove in a Powder Puff derby? I'm impressed. :)

    Good luck with your book. I think western fans are going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Samantha, Yes, the powder puff derby was fun after I had the initial impact and realized we weren't going fast enough in the small area to do damage to myself. Thanks, I hope they love it.

      Delete
  6. Welcome Patty! I've enjoyed reading all of your books! I can't wait to get a hold of this one. Thank you for joining us today! We're so glad to have you here with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzie, Thank you for asking me to be here!

      Delete
  7. Hi Paty,

    Your book sounds great, best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I'm late getting here! I was on a sewing project and just hopped on the computer. Yes, I'm between books so my brain is working o the stewing and brewing rather than the actual writing so I was sewing.

    .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun information, and great excerpt. And I so have to agree with the skiing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Informative, fun interview, ladies! Paty, I envy you owning a horse most of your life. I love the beautiful creatures but have only ridden a few times -- when I was lots younger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lyn, Yes, I've been lucky to have a horse around most of my life and the ability to ride whenever I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Paty--Welcome to Lady Scribes!

    We must be related--I call myself a Plotser!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your books, Paty! Can't wait to finish the book I'm reading now so I can read Logger in Petticoats!

    I enjoyed those miscellaneous facts about you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL Deb! You must be my other half. Thank you for the welcome.

    Hi Sarah! I love that you love my books! I'm glad you enjoyed my sordid past. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paty, I always wished I could have been in the peace corp, but I've always been too puny. I also call myself a plotser. I have a nice plot outline/roadmap, but always take spontaneous detours. I've never tried to ski because I am such a klutz I figure I'd break something on snow and drown on water. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Caroline, More things we have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's always so fun to learn these new things about your friends. Ha! :) Just shows how important backstory is for real people as well as the fictional characters we put in our stories. I never considered going into the Peace Corp, but I did almost enlist in the Air Force when i was in college. Took the test and everything. Then I dodged the recruiter's phone calls after I changed my mind. Oh, the frivolity of youth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Karen! It's funny how life works out.

    ReplyDelete