Thursday, January 12, 2012

Reading Resolution 2012

I am a member of several reading groups on goodreads and one of the moderators for the Historical Romance group asked its members to come up with their Reading Resolutions for 2012 and post them. We’re supposed to update on that thread throughout the rest of the year so that we can see our progress. I thought this was such a brilliant idea. We have diet resolutions, writing resolutions, family resolutions and so many more. Why not have reading resolutions while we’re at it?

In my humble opinion this promotes reading and education and because of that I’ve introduced it to my kids. While my oldest boys just rolled their eyes at me, my youngest is delighted to read with mommy. I’m hoping to instill a healthy reading habit in him and hope that out of the three he’ll love reading as much as I do. My other two boys like to read to an extent but they have to be in a reading mood, which doesn’t come as often as I’d like, honestly.

So with that said I’m introducing my New Year’s Reading Resolutions for 2012 and hope that maybe some of you will play along.

1. My first resolution is to read in two new genres I’ve never read in before. I’ve always believed reading outside of your chosen genre can teach a writer or anyone something new. You never know you may find a new genre you love. I’ve chosen the Young Adult and horror genre for this year. Perhaps later this year I’ll report back in and let you know how it goes.

2. My second Reading Resolution is to read at least one book a month just for pleasure. All too often I’ll crit or beta read for someone because they’ve asked or I need to catch up on my crits for the group because I am behind. Well, I’ve decided that I need to rediscover the joy of reading again, not because I have a quota to meet, but because I love it. It’s been far too long since I’ve picked up a book just because. I think last year I maybe read a half a dozen books that weren’t required of me. I need to increase that because it’s time I take a little more time for myself. And reading is a joy of mine but somehow over the years of trying to become an author I’ve forgotten that.

3. My final Reading Resolution is to read to my four-year-old at least four to five nights a week. Somehow over the craziness of our lives we’ve strayed from that and I think he’s getting behind. I want him to be more than prepared to go into Kindergarten when the time comes. But that’s the least of it, I’m really hoping to inspire his imagination and a love of books. In my mind there’s nothing quite like the escape of a good book. I’d love to be able to pass on that love to at least one of my children.

So here’s to a wonderful reading year and some time spent doing things for myself. I’ve already started on parts of my reading challenge. I picked up two new books this week, sat down yesterday morning with a cup of double Mocha cappuccino and snuggled up with a blanket on the sofa. Oh what a wonderful way to pass the afternoon. It was the best time I’ve had in months. I’m looking forward to a lazy weekend with my husband and children, as well as some time to myself with a good book. What about you? Have you thought of a Reading Resolution and what is it? Btw, I picked up The Last Viking by Sandra Hill and Lord and Lady Spy by Shana Galen. What about you? What are you reading right now?

7 comments:

  1. I just finished Eloisa James' When Beauty Tamed the Beast,and I adored it! It is a new take on the fairy-tale, told Regency style, with a twist. She was quoted as saying that her hero was based on House, from the TV series. Love him- he's so grouchy, lol.
    I don't know what's up next, maybe Ms. James' The Duke is Mine. I like to read related novels, and hers are so good.
    I don't have any reading resolutions, except (oddly enough) to try to remember to read! I used to read ALL THE TIME. But, since I started writing, my free time has been whittled down and I tend to unwind in front of the TV, zoning out. So, more books again in 2012. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great resolution, Suzie. I don't have any reading resolutions. I read every single night for pleasure. It is how I wind down after writing or doing betas. Right now, I'm reading Stein on Writing, a non-fiction book for writers, and I'm reading Secrets of A Summers Night by Lisa Kleypas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olivia I was going to pick that one up and I may still buy When Beauty Tamed the Beast at the end of the month. We'll see what finances allow this coming month. This my first real foray into the regency era and I'm loving some of these stories. Can't wait to read it! Thanks for the suggestions!

    Oh Julie, I wish I could read every night before bed. I really need to get back into doing that but my creativity clicks on at night so I use that time to write. I'm such a night owl though. Thanks for stopping in ladies and sharing your suggestions. I'll have to see about getting all of those books here soon. I'm on a reading frenzy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never have to make that resolution, Suzie, because I am always reading something! Usually something for research, but I can't live without fiction, as well. I may only read in 5 minute spurts, while waiting to pick up a kid or waiting for a kid to be ready to go, or waiting for dinner to cook. but I have to have something going all the time!

    My boys are readers too, thank goodness, though they tend to go in spurts. And we try to spread the love, giving books as gifts whenever we can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Granted my nose is always in a history book or reading online articles and whatnot but rarely have I found the time to just sit and read a book for pleasure. I'm so glad you get the chance to do that. I think it's important, especially for us writers, to keep reading. This past year though with my hubby being laid off I let this particular joy slip through the cracks so I'm determined this year to make up for it. So glad your boys are readers too. It's so important to pass on a love of books. Thanks for stopping in Deb!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally with you on the resolution to read for fun. I get pretty bogged down trying to keep up with what's out there, it usually translates to an analytical reading of a new or successful author. While that is okay on some fronts, I need to allow myself to get lost in books more often. Oddly enough, YA is usually the genre where I find I am not dissecting the story, so perhaps I'll make a goal to read 4 YAs for fun this year :)
    Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great resolution. I loved reading to my son when he was young and fortunately, he's a big a reader as his dad and I are. New genres? Not so much. I already read a number of different genres. In a former critque group I discovered several I didn't want to read.

    ReplyDelete