Our Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Febutante Manda Collins

ANNOUNCER: ‘ello, ‘ello! And welcome to another episode of “The Nearly Wed Game”! Where Romancelandia’s most captivating couples show just how well they know one another. And here’s our host, the dandiest dandy of them all—Beau Brummell!

BEAU [glowers at the announcer through quizzing glass]: Now, shall we greet our next contestants? He’s a decorated war hero recently ascended to a Dukedom! And she’s one of England’s most renowned linguistic scholars! Give a warm ‘hello’ to the hero and heroine of HOW TO DANCE WITH A DUKE, Lucas Dalton, Duke of Winterson and Miss Cecily Hurston!

BEAU: Let’s begin. I shall pose a question to each of you, and you are to answer how you believe your partner will respond. Please step away into the soundproof booth, your grace.

LUCAS: I shall go, Brummell, but if anything happens to Cecily while I am gone I will hold you responsible. Someone is trying to kill her, you know.

[CECILY rolls her eyes and shoos him away.]

BEAU: Now, Miss Hurston, if you please. [Looks down and reads the card. Turns red.] I cannot ask her this! It’s unseemly.

ANNOUNCER: Ask the question, Brummell, or your precious snuffbox collection is headed for the nearest pawnbroker.

BEAU: Dash it! That’s blackmail!

ANNOUNCER: Indeed it is. So if you wish to save your boxes, do as I say.

BEAU: All right. All right. Calm down. Apologies in advance for the indelicacy of my question, Miss Hurston, but what is the most unusual place where you have….ehem…

CECILY: Yes, Mr. Brummell? I vow I am on the edge of my seat!

BEAU: Oh, blast it, where is the most unusual place that you and the duke have…um…had…that is to say, engaged in…[he makes a gesture with his hand]

CECILY [eyes growing large]: Oh! Oh, I see. [Takes pencil and writes.]

[LUCAS comes back in and takes the seat next to Cecily.]

BEAU: So, your grace, how do you think your betrothed answered the following question? ‘What is the most unusual place where you and your lady have engaged in…’

LUCAS: Brummell, if you value your life you will not finish that sentence.

CECILY: It’s not his fault, darling. He is being blackmailed by that horrid announcer and I think we really ought to investigate. I’ll tell Juliet and Madeline all about it this evening and we will make a plan.

LUCAS [groans]: You need another mystery to solve like you need instruction in Latin. [To Brummell] You are lucky I have no wish to have Cecily embroiled in another scandal, Brummell. I believe her answer to that question would be “in the same room with a mummy.”

CECILY [beams, turning over her card which reads “in a room with a mummy”]: We are an excellent match, are we not?

LUCAS: I’ll never think of artifacts in the same way again.

[Cecily is hurried out of the room]

BEAU[looks nervously at LUCAS]: Your g…g…g…grace, which one of you was the first to confess your affection for the other?

LUCAS: Don’t be such a ninny, Brummell. I won’t call you out, much though you deserve it. If you’re being blackmailed then I have no desire to get involved with the business. I have enough to worry about. [He writes hastily on his paper. CECILY is called back into the room.]

BEAU: Miss Hurston, how do you suppose your betrothed guessed you would answer the following question: Which one of you was the first to confess your affection for the other?

CECILY: Oh, that’s an easy one! It was Lucas, of course. You see, I had a rather nasty break-up with a fiancée earlier in my youth that led me to…

LUCAS: You don’t have to tell them the entire tale, darling. Besides you know how I hate to hear you talk of that bast…gentleman.

CECILY: Of course! I am sorry. I just hate to think of all those years I wasted on…him when I could have been looking forward to you.

[She throws her arms around his neck and they embrace passionately]

BEAU: Your grace! Miss Hurston! Please! That is to say…! [Shrugs, goes to pick up Lucas’s paper which has fallen by the wayside. He holds it out to the crowd and reads] It says ‘me’ so the Duke of Winterson and Miss Cecily Hurston have answered both questions correctly! Since they are otherwise engaged, I bid you adieu and encourage you to read their story in HOW TO DANCE WITH A DUKE, available in stores now!

Audience, what are some of your favorites ‘firsts’ for your favorite couples?






One lucky commenter will win a copy of HOW TO DANCE WITH A DUKE. And all U.S. commenters will be eligible to win a free Kindle!

Be sure to check in throughout the day to meet all of the Febutantes and for more chances to win autographed books and a Kindle. Just leave a comment to have your name entered into the drawing. Leave comments on all six blogs for more chances to win. The contest ends at midnight CST Sunday, February 5th. Winners will be announced Monday evening.



Learn more about Manda at http://www.mandacollins.com/.




63 comments:

  1. Congrats on the release, Manda. One of my favorite firsts is when Dane and Jessica first meet in Loretta Chase's "Lord of Scoundrels" and she shoots him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wow this book sounds really good. Checking it out now on Amazon. Love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Thanks, Tracey! I love the cover too. Fabulous cover artist.

      Delete
  3. Hi Manda

    Congrats on the release, release day went well (told you so) ;).

    Jane stole my first, I loved the first meeting with Jess and Dain when he's teasing her about the watch while she knows what it is all along. I love Ainswood and Grenville's first meeting in The Last Hellion too, she punches him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooops! yvonnedvn[at]yahoo[dot]ie

      Delete
    2. You were right, Beebs! Loretta Chase is just great at everything. Sigh. She's so great:)

      Delete
  4. Another fun scene!!!! My favorite firsts with all couples is when the couple first notices one another, especially if there is an instant attraction that draws them to each other. Another read added to my TBR list!!!!!
    ctibby73@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love that moment when they first notice one another too. So delicious!

      Delete
  5. I love the first encounter of almost any romantic couple because generally it never goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Too true, Qwill. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  6. One of my favorite firsts was the first love scene in Nobody's Mistress by Mary Balogh. Virgin hero! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Balogh, Johanna! She is so great at creating believable characters who pull at your heartstrings.

      Delete
  7. Super cute!!! Hmmmmm this is a tough one - there are quite a few. Perhaps Brighter than the Sun by Julia Quinn? Pretty there's someone falling out of a tree? :D

    I confess to kinda loving the ones where the hero and heroine don't actually start out liking each other. I'm equally torn between that, and the ones where heroes are smitten from the start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those hate at first sight stories, too, Lime. So wonderful when they finally give in to the hots underneath the dislike. And OMG, the hero who is smitten from the get go is awesome. My fave of that variety is Anne Gracie's The Perfect Rake. Everyone thinks the heroine is plain, except the hero who can't understand what's wrong with everyone else's eyesight.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your release! I'm like the commenter above. I like a lot of angst with my hero and heroine. I like when the hero gets those sharp pains in the chest area and doesn't realize it's love pains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelley! Angst is definitely a good thing when it comes to romance!

      Delete
  9. Looking forward to reading the book, especially to find out why they were in the room with a mummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! It's a pretty good reason;)

      Delete
  10. Manda,

    You are so funny! Thanks for being part of the Febutante Ball. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me, Samantha! It's been a blast!

      Delete
  11. I love it when the couple make love for the first time. The heroine is always usually so very shy, but the hero has a way of making her feel comfortable in her own skin. I have way too many favorites to name, but I will say that Win and Merripen in "Seduce Me at Sunrise" really got to me. *sigh*

    I'm really loving this Newly Wed game and the characters. They crack me up. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those scenes too, Diane. It can really tell you so much about a couple. Glad you're enjoying the game!

      Delete
    2. Ooops, forgot email address:-

      dpd333 (at) aol dot com

      Delete
  12. I always anticipate the first meet between couples. It's all about that moment for me when their eyes meet, their first impressions and spark. Sometimes it's a fun moment or sweet or deep. Even in reunion stories I love that moment.

    Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first spark is lovely, isn't it, Na? Even when it's a spark of anger.

      Delete
  13. meeting for the 1st time is one of my favorites or the first kiss

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to say the first kiss. I can still remember my first real kiss - I married the guy and it's been 42 years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved the first time Julian and Phoebe touched in Julie Anne Long's How the Marquess the Won -- it was electric!

    Congratulations on your debut novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved that book, Tin! And that moment:) Thanks for the congrats!

      Delete
  16. Sounds like a Great book. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL these are great! So glad to meet all of the febutants!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Manda , congrats on your debut! My favourite first in the romance novels is when the hero and the heroine kiss for the first time. Totally stunning to see their reaction;). Thank you for the Interview, I think they are a lovely couple:), aretha_zhen@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. My favorite first is the initial reaction of the hero to the heroine and vise-versa. Great intro to your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute excerpt!! Thanks for the chance to win!
    brandon_savannah@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved this book and I loved being able to revisit both Cecily and Lucas with your above teaser.

    iqb99 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always enjoy the first kiss between couples in my romance novels. And I LOVE Dukes in my romance novels as well, so this will be a good one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sitting on this one until my Spring Break when I can really let loose and read....I don't think I'm going to be able to hold out that long! Congrats on the release Manda!

    temptnfate13@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm really looking forward to reading How To Dance With A Duke. I love that Cicely is a bluestocking, and can hold her own against the Duke. My favorite firsts are when the couple first meets and sparks fly - either they dislike each other or can't take their eyes off each other. I think that's fun either way.

    Barbed1951 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I saw your beautiful book at the store today and picked up my copy. I love seeing new authors at the store :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looking forward to reading How to Dance with a Duke.

    mybeach52@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the giveaway!

    abbydillon16 AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds so good!
    Cindy H.
    cholub1968@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I always love first meetings. So many different ways. I lveo them in all the books.
    debby236 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  30. One of my favorite firsts comes from my favorite series. Mary Balogh- Her Slightly series. Slightly Wicked. When Rannulf and Judith Law first meet. Their time together. Before she caught the stage to go on to her ''new home'' horrible as it was. Gosh, I love this book and this series.
    lisakhutson (at) [cox] {dot}

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've been looking forward to this one for awhile!!

    In general I love two first in my romance novels: how they meet and their first amorous encounter ;)

    Thanks for the giveaway,
    Julia
    bambbles{at}gmail{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Favorite firsts: first shiver of attraction, first smile, first task they accomplish together, & of course their first kiss.

    sallans d at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  33. First meeting... First kiss...

    Thanks for the giveaways!

    maybe31 at yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Have already made it a spot on my keeper shelf. it was great.
    catlover0112 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  35. I already have this one, but thanks. And good luck to Manda!

    trb917@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. congrats Manda,

    hope your book will be available on bookdepository soon, so when i'm not win, i can buy on bookdepository ;)

    ReplyDelete
  37. This couple sounds darling! I am so going to get this book. My favorite first for couples, is that instant spark where the chemistry lights up. I love it most when they almost kiss, or the first kiss, or any kiss where you feel that intangible moment of passion blossom between them.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love when they first notice each other, when they first kiss, when they first realize there's "something" about the other one, when they first know they're in love.

    Robin D
    robindpdx(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Congratulations on your debut novel.
    penfield716(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the first moment that one of the people in a relationship realize they love the other. There is always that "a-HA" moment. I love it.

    Karin Anderson
    AquarianDancer at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Ooo! can't wait to read this! Congrats on your debut! and my gave first comes from Lisa kleypas's seeing of you when Derek and Sara first meet, or, well she saves his life and he becomes obsessed with her. love, love, love that book!
    Kamasutra128@Yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete