Our Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Guest Blogger Heather Snow

A Book By Any Other Name…

Thank you for having me here at Lady Scribes to celebrate the release of Sweet Enemy, my debut Regency with a touch of mystery. I met several of the Lady Scribes when Sweet Enemy was just a wee baby manuscript, only days before I won my very first contest ever back in 2010, so you could say they’ve been on this journey with me from the beginning and I am thrilled to count them as friends.

When people hear that you’ve written a book, they are often curious as to what inspired your story. Well, if I told you what inspired Sweet Enemy, I’m afraid I’d be giving away the mystery…so you’ll have to wait until you’ve finished the book and find out in the Author’s Note. I know, rotten of me, isn’t it? Since I can’t talk about what exactly sparked the idea for my debut, I thought I’d talk instead of what inspired the series, and how the inspiration for each of the three books in the Veiled Seduction series was completely different!

I can tell you that the idea behind Sweet Enemy was a historical event…one that involved scientists. That is how my heroine became a Regency-era lady chemist. Liliana was well received by contest judges and agents alike. People really responded to the idea that she was a different sort of heroine, saying they found her both interesting and refreshing.

Well, I didn’t get my college edumacation for nothing…I quickly realized that if people loved my science-savvy heroine, I should write a series about other women who loved the sciences, too. After all there was math, astronomy, biology, physics, psychology…well, you get the picture. So I started thinking about who my next heroine would be.

In the mean time, Sweet Enemy became a finalist in the Fire and Ice, the RWA Golden Heart®, the Daphne and the Hearts Through History, all at the same time…a perfect storm of contests. It garnered significant agent attention and sold very quickly—well before I’d even really fleshed out any ideas for the next books in the series. However, my brilliant agent said we should pitch it as a trilogy and that I should come up with two additional titles and blurbs, and could I please have them to her ASAP.

Oh, my. Well, I really, really loved the title Sweet Enemy (even though one of the agents who judged an early contest final told me emphatically to change it). I knew that many authors aren’t allowed to keep their titles, but I wanted to give Sweet Enemy the best chance it could have. So first, I decided I must come up with two more awesome titles that would tie the series together and make it harder for a publisher to ask me to change them! (Sneaky, aren’t I?) I thought about what I loved about Sweet Enemy and realized it was the juxtaposition of the words…so my critique group and I started thinking of what other words we could pit against “sweet”. We came up with “deception” and “madness” as our favorites.

And that’s how Sweet Deception and Sweet Madness came to be.

Now, the inspiration for Sweet Deception was actually a heroine, and I’d already decided what gift/interest she would have and how she would use it—I just had to tweak her story line to match the whole “Deception” part of the title, which wasn’t hard given the hero I’d paired her with. In the second in the series, you’ll see a Regency-era Bones (of the Temperance Brennan variety, not Star Trek) tangle with a Regency-era James Bond.

Sweet Madness, however, was completely inspired by the title! On the fly, I decided to pair up a gifted psychologist with a soldier suffering from PTSD from the Napoleonic wars—my editor loved it, and declared it would be so.

So there you have it! Three different books, sparked in three totally different ways, all tied together by some pretty cool names, their heroines’ love of science and some great characters that appear in all three stories.

Sweet Enemy is in stores now, and Sweet Deception will follow on August 7th, with Sweet Madness coming sometime in early 2013. I hope you love the stories as much as I’ve loved writing them.

I’d be happy to give away a signed copy of Sweet Enemy, a bookmark and romance trading cards to a commenter today. I’d love to know what inspires YOU to pick up a book from a new author?

Sweet Enemy...
A Veiled Seduction Novel ~ Book One

"Historical intrigue and heart-pounding passion make Sweet Enemy a great read. Romance fans will love it." ~#1NYT Bestselling Author JULIE GARWOOD

Geoffrey Wentworth
, a war hero and rising political star, never wanted to be the Earl, but when his brother dies, he knows his duty—take up the responsibility for his family’s estates. His mother’s definition of duty differs from his, however, and can be summed up in one word—heirs. When Geoffrey rushes home to answer her urgent summons, he finds himself host to a house full of women, all vying to become the next Countess of Stratford. But his love is Parliament, where he wields his influence and reputation to better the lives of ex-soldiers, until a tempting houseguest and a secret from his past threaten his freedom…and his heart.

Liliana Claremont, a brilliant chemist, doesn’t want to be any man’s wife, much less a countess. If she had tuppence for every time she’d been told her place was filling the nursery, not experimenting in the laboratory, she could buy the Tower Bridge. However, when she receives a coveted invitation to the Earl’s house party, she trades in her beakers for ball gowns and gladly takes on the guise of husband hunter—for the chance to uncover what the Earl had to do with the murder of her father.

Liliana believes the best way to get the answers she needs is to keep her enemy close, though romance is not part of her formula. But it only takes one kiss to start a reaction she can't control...



Heather Snow is a historical romance author with a degree in Chemistry who discovered she much preferred creating chemistry on the page, rather than in the lab. She is forever trying to wrangle her left and right brain to work together (some days with more success than others!), but if her two sides had to duke it out, left would win every time—which can be a creative challenge. Luckily, she loves challenges…she just goes about solving them analytically. Heather lives in the Midwest with her husband, two rambunctious boys and one very put upon cat. She sincerely hopes you find her stories have just the right chemistry…

Please visit her at
http://www.heathersnowbooks.com/, on Facebook or on Twitter.


Sweet Enemy is available wherever books are sold and at these fine retailers:


Rainy Day Books (Heather’s local Indie)
Amazon (Kindle Edition)
Amazon (Paperback Edition)
Books-A-Million
Barnes and Noble
Indiebound
I-Books

47 comments:

  1. Congrats on your debut release, Heather. I'm always willing to try out a new author if I like the blurb or if the book is recommended by the various review sites I visit or a favorite author of mine.
    janie1215 AT excite DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane. I do like the blurb on the cover, but I also think that it left out a vital part of what makes Liliana a different and interesting character, and that is that she's a chemist. That's why I'm hitting the blogosphere so hard, hoping word of mouth will get that part, out!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your release, Heather, and welcome to the Lady Scribes! I'm currently reading Sweet Enemy...I've wanted to since I first heard about you from some of my fellow Lady Scribes. I used to work at the science tutoring lab at the university. Not as a tutor! Science is absolutely NOT my thing at all. But I kind of picked up on some of it from all of my days trying to write my first novels while listening to the tutors helping out other students. I've always been fascinated by people whose brains function in a way so as to understand science, since mine does not. :) So this idea of combining science and the Regency has absolutely grabbed me and I'm loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine -- it's still surreal to hear someone say that they are reading (or have read) SWEET ENEMY. I tell you, even with a science degree, I spent lots of time in the science tutoring lab, so let me thank you! :)

      Delete
  3. Your book sounds really good! Congrats and best wishes for continued success :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to have been there at that Spring Fling conference to meet you :-) This series is so exciting - as a science major myself, I LOVED Liliana and her smart self, and can't wait to read the other two books too.
    So... why do I pick up new authors? As sophisticated as I'd like to say I am, it's usually a great cover and a catchy blurb - both of which you have! Thanks so much for joining us today, Heather, and best of luck with your series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, beautiful! I'm grateful to have met you, too, and I CANNOT wait until June so I can read the rest of "More Than a Stranger"!.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Heather!

    Great to have you back with us at Lady Scribes. I just started reading Sweet Enemy this week, and I'm looking forward to the weekend so I can really snuggle in for a good read.

    What used to draw me to a new author was a recommendation by a friend, but now that I am an author, I read people I connect with personally. If I like the person's personality, I usually like their voice as well, and we seem to have similar ways of looking at the world.

    All three books sound great, but now I'm really anxious to read Sweet Madness. Veterans and psychology are up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Samantha! I have "Miss Hillary Schools a Scoundrel" loaded up on my Kindle, and as soon as I get my proposal and copy-edits in, I'm sitting down for a nice read :)

      I'd forgotten the psychology was right up your alley...I might have to hit you up for some research!

      Delete
    2. You bet! And I don't have the answers, I have a psychologist in the house. I can usually find him napping on the couch when he's home. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Welcome, Heather! It's so nice to have you at Lady Scribes. I am looking forward to Sweet Enemy and the rest of the series sounds just as fab! I'm also looking forward to meeting you at RT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb! Thank you...I'm looking forward to meeting you at RT as well...we'll be fast friends by the time we present our workshop at RWA :)

      Delete
  7. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Heather! Your novel is on my TBR list. I love a smart, interesting heroine.
    I'm like Erin, I usually chose a book by its blurb and cover, back cover, etc. But lately, I've started choosing novels not just on that, but also on the "buzz" that I hear on Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads and blogs. Sweet Enemy has very good "buzz", lol! Good luck with everything, and thanks for coming by... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olivia! I'm so glad to hear that SWEET ENEMY has a bit of buzz...I've been pedaling pretty hard to make sure it's out there! :) I'm really looking forward to meeting you later on this year so we can swap war stories about our boys :)

      Delete
  8. Heather ~ I am so, so, sooo happy for you and for your release. I feel like I've been waiting for it forever. The trilogy sounds amazing, and knowing you - they have to be! Congrats with everything and I am wishing you all the luck in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ava! Believe me...it HAS been forever :) This series sold in October of 2010, so it's been a long time coming...and yet, all of the sudden it feels fast!

      Delete
  9. I love the idea of a Regency era women-of science-series! SO cool. The fact that a woman of that era would gravitate toward the sciences automatically makes her spunky.

    What makes me try a new author is the title, the blurb, and now that I have a Kindle, the sample. The title catches my eye, the blurb makes me download the sample and the samples makes me buy the book. I love trying new authors. I actually like buying a newbie's book more than I do a well-established author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, Cara, what a great idea! I might have to whip out my Kindle and download the free sample from SWEET ENEMY, just to see what people are seeing :) I love to hear that readers are still excited about trying new authors. I know it can be tough in this economy to spend $ on an unknown. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Good reviews & endorsements from other authors whose works I like. Looking forward to reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Emily! I *swooned* when Julie Garwood gave me a quote for SWEET ENEMY...she is one of my absolute favorite authors, and has been since I started reading historical romance

      Delete
  11. Reading it now and loving it! Admittedly, it was the gorgeous cover that drew me in, but the spunk and fire of the hero and heroine has kept me interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow! I'm glad you're loving it :) Yes, isn't the cover gorgeous??? I love it...but I tell you, I'm super excited about the cover for SWEET DECEPTION, too...it's awesome

      Delete
  12. This trilogy sounds fantastic!
    What makes me try a new author is when someone recommends the book to me or I read excerpt on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi chey :) Well, the prologue and first chapter are on my website, but if you follow the links on my blog tour, there are all kinds of snippets, not to mention the entirety of chapter three on the romance@random site. :)

      Thanks for coming by. It's so interesting to hear what attracts different readers to a book!

      Delete
  13. What inspires me to pick up a book from a new author is hearing about the book on the various blogs I visit, reading all the feedback, reviews and interviews with the author. Usually, the more I hear, the more interested I become. I've heard a lot about Sweet Enemy and I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara :) I'm pretty sure everyone is going to be sick of me, soon! It seems like I've been talking a lot this month...lol Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Hi Heather-- Just wanted to stop by & say hi. I really enjoyed reading about how you developed your series. Love how each story is centered on a different scientist-heroine! Your titles are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill -- I'm so glad you did stop by :) Thank you...I adore the titles, too. Plus, I really think each of them is very indicative of the story within, which is always nice!

      Delete
  15. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Heather, and congrats on your debut!!

    What draws me in, besides the blurb, is the first few pages. Usually, if that's not enough I'll give a book up to the end of its first chapter to catch my interest--just in case. Other than that I read books recommended by my friends (or if I happen to meet the author at RWA ;))

    I've got Sweet Enemy in my TBR pile and can't wait to dive in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marquita! Great to see you :) It's going to be interesting to see how people respond differently between SWEET ENEMY and SWEET DECEPTION, simply because the beginnings are so different. In ENEMY, the mystery is older, and requires a little set up to get the reader there...in DECEPTION, there is a missing person immediately in chapter one. It was interesting writing two such vastly different scenarios back to back!

      Delete
  16. Congrats Heather! You already know that I loved the book! I find new authors in many ways...blogs...other authors...customers..backs of books customers and a few others. I'm not one that goes off of reviews only because I like to form my own opinion on a book. However I do write reviews in order to help others.

    Temptnfate13 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Misty! Lovely to see you again. I'm so thrilled you loved SWEET ENEMY, and thanks so much for tweeting the pic of it listed as a staff pick in your star...made my little heart melt ;)

      Delete
    2. I pop up a lot over here...the ladies leave you with the warm feeling...You are most welcome. It's now sold completely out three times......and in my little store that is a wonderful thing.

      Delete
  17. I take a chance on a new author if the premise intrigues me. Plus, I like reading romance novels anyway. The cover also helps. My friend and I go to walmart to read the back of the covers and see what we think of it. I usually I'll get and read it. I can't to read this one. I hope you do well Heather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melody! An interesting note about the back cover of SWEET ENEMY is that it doesn't mention Liliana is a chemist. So many people are intrigued by that aspect of the book, that I wish it did...however, hopefully the people who would be drawn by that will hear of it word-of-mouth or on the web :) Thank you so much for the well-wishes!

      Delete
  18. I forgot my email is countessofmar@yahoo.com if i get pick.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your new release. I usually go by good reviews or a mention on a blog when it involves a new author. Sometimes I'll see a great cover then I'll search out some reviews.

    penfield716(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! I do like to read reviews, too...just like how different people are, it's always interesting to me to see ho differently people react to a book. Someone LOVES it and another just thinks it's so-so. I like to see whose most enthusiastic about a book and WHY (i.e., if it gets a lot of 4 and 5 stars), so I can see if the reviewer and I seem to like the same things about books. Then I"ll give it a try, even if some people didn't like it so much.

      A good cover doesn't hurt, though! :) Appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  20. I love new authors! I have found some real gems and although I get the read many of them before they are even published due to many of them being my crit partners, it's still a joy to pick up their new books. I love the premise behind Sweet Enemy, Heather. I only wish I had been able to go to RWA to meet you that year! Perhaps soon though! I love your cover btw and I can't wait to read it. Good luck on the debut and we always love having you on the Lady Scribes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzie -- that's one of the things I love about being in a great critique group, too. I get to read some AWESOME stories :) Hopefully we will get to meet soon. Will you be at RT or RWA this year? God willing, I should make both

      Delete
  21. Unfortunately not this year. My hubby was laid off the year before and even though he has found a new job, we're still struggling to get back on our feet. Next year I'm hoping for good things though. I would love to go to both RT and RWA as I've never been. Things are definitely looking up though. *knocks on wood* lol.

    And take lots of pics, I have to live vicariously through you girls for a little while longer lol. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Heather, Congratulations on your release of "Sweet Enemy". I really liked the review and would love to read this.

    It's got to be really good if other Authors say how much they like it.

    Thank you for this opportunity.

    dpd333 (at) aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cover and Blurb!
    cholub1968@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on the book! I decide to read a book by a new author based on the premise of the story. Your book sounds very good.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi heather, congrats for your debut! The one thing that inspire me to read book by new author is my curiosity , I always curious to read book as many as possible by me. I believe it is in my nature to always wants to explore something new, cheers aretha_zhen@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh...how could I not read your debut book!! The F/C alone pulled me in and then I kept hearing all this wonderful "stuff" about the book. I entered contest after contest and then couldn't stand it any more and bought a copy!! LOL I LOVED it... what "they" are all saying is true. What a great book...hard to believe its a debut! I would LOVE a signed copy.... and I am looking forward to your next book...due out in August!
    bettysunflower at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete