Our Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

If It Weren't for Bad Luck . . .

If I am very lucky, the old adage that bad things happen in threes will hold true for me. Why? Because if one more thing goes wrong this month, I may very well go stark raving mad.

It all started with a phone call to my editor mid-January. My muse had decided to wait until the eleven hour to let loose with the most brilliant changeup to my plot ever. The bad news: it would be a sweeping change, one that would involve tossing about two thirds (!) of my almost finished manuscript. The good news: it really was a great idea, and the book would be so much better for it. My editor agreed, and my new deadline was set: March 1.

(Eek!)

It was not a lot of time, but hey, I’m a professional writer, with no kids, a supportive husband, three lazy mutts, and only a one-day-a-week part-time job. It was daunting, but I could do this.

*Cue the Rocky music*

It started off well enough, with me banging out some great pages in the next week. Things were looking good, and optimism buoyed my spirits. See? I totally knew I could do it. So long as nothing went wrong in the next few weeks, I would be fine.

Right. Well, this lovely run lasted for precisely one week, at which time I awoke to find puddles on the dining room table. Within days we had the prognosis: a new roof it would be. The old one had held on for 25 years, but it hadn’t any more life to give. With my husband headed out of town that Sunday, it quickly became apparent that I would have to handle the hiring and over-seeing of the new roof.

Sucky, but certainly not insurmountable. A setback to be sure, but I had every confidence that I could handle things.

Unfortunately, what I didn’t know as I waved goodbye to my husband that Sunday afternoon was that two days earlier, as I innocently went to work at the day job, my sick co-worker had managed to infect me with the bubonic plague.

By Monday morning, I knew something was dreadfully wrong. Popping Vitamin C pills like candy, I struggled to take care of the three dogs, seek out recommendations for roofers, and still write anything at all of worth. My right nostril had forgotten how to breathe, my throat was starting to hurt, and my dogs were giving me dirty looks every time I sneezed and scared them.

Truly, the rest of the week was a blur of Kleenex, Vaporub, phone calls and appointments with roofers, and the seemingly insurmountable task of trying to keep me and my three dogs fed, watered, and more or less alive until such time that my husband finally arrived and could take care of me. It was all I could think of; my husband’s homecoming. If I could only make it until Saturday, he would sweep in like the cavalry and make everything better.

The worst day was Friday, when the roofers started banging at 8 am and didn’t stop until dark. Try as I might, I couldn’t put a cohesive sentence on the page. I had stayed home sick from work, yet between the racket on the roof and three very freaked out dogs, there was no rest to be had. Still, I knew that in another day, the house would be quiet again, and my hubby would be there to take care of me.

At long last, Saturday dawned and the unmistakable sound of a car in the driveway meant only one thing: my husband was home, and my worries were over. Hooray! Someone else to make me soup, and feed the dogs, and bring me hot tea. Someone to go to the store and get more Kleenex and take out the garbage and clean the kitchen. My worries were over, and soon I’d be back on the computer, good as new.

Yeah, well – remember that whole “bad news in threes” thing? Come to find out, my hubby managed to get sick on the way home, and proceeded to climb into bed and sleep for the next 12 hours. So much for being taken care of!

Sigh.

So, here’s to hoping our run of bad luck is over, and there will be nothing but wellness, happiness, and creativity in my house between now and March 1. After all, I have a book to finish!! (It can be done – right? RIGHT?!)

So tell me, what was you most recent trio of bad luck? Please tell me I’m not the only one that has had a streak of bad luck at the very worst time! And wish me good luck, because I doubt I’ll see the light of day until March 1, at which time I will emerge victorious!

34 comments:

  1. Erin ~ Good heavens! That's awful!! I'm so sorry. But I feel confident you will make your deadline and every pearl will be genius!

    OK... my bad luck comes in threes story...

    (1) My son was playing X-Box on the old TV (one that was older than him and he was 12 at the time.) I was standing next to the couch he was sitting on, texting someone when the TV made a loud pop and gray smoke started pouring out the back. (2) Startled, I dropped my iPhone (that had been dropped a million times before that moment). The phone flashed one last time and then I was stuck with the "white screen of death". So in a matter of seconds, I lost both a TV and a phone. (3) As I left AT&T with my new phone in hand, I noticed that my car in the lot was tilted slightly to one side. Yep, flat tire.

    I'm not sure what imp started that little trail of bad luck, but I hope it doesn't find me again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good heavens - that is quite a chain of reaction!! Well, at least you got a new phone out of the deal ;) Yes, you and I shall cross our fingers and hope the bad luck doesn't find us again!

      Delete
  2. Hang in there, Erin! Bad luck comes in threes. Now you're done for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lily - I certainly hope it holds true for me!

      Delete
  3. I have at least it's within the same month. I haven't bad luck per say since 2009. Now that was a bad year and luck. The year I learned never say it can be always worst. That year my best friend was mad at me (February), miscarriage (March), landlord decides to sell house (end of May), fire on base and not far from my home (August), and the icing on re cake I get a really bad car accident cause by a 93 year old man and total my car (December).
    However, Erin that your month gets better and that it does come in threes. Good luck with everything. May the rest of your month be bright and sunny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Melody. What a terrible year! I'm so glad that it seems to have gotten better from there. Hugs!

      Delete
    2. Yikes!! Well, I hope you are done for a lifetime, Melody! And yes, I'll take my run of bad luck over that any day of the week. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Now you've got that old song stuck in my head---Gloom, Despair and Agony on Me!

    So sorry to hear about all the luckiness, Erin! Here's hoping it will all turn right around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, now I'm going to have to go look that song up, lol! Thanks Deb, hopefully the next time you see me all will be well :)

      Delete
  5. I don't know if I can remember my streaks of bad luck- I think i'm blocking them out, lol! But I do, absolutely, believe in The Three. I am a superstitious person. I always knock on wood, believe in karma and never walk under a ladder! Here's hoping your streak is over. XO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wait. Right after I pressed enter, I remembered. Duh!
    Two weeks ago my 6 yr old son & I got really, really sick. We started to feel better, and my 4 yr old got sick. And I mean SICK. he was down with a fever for 5 days, and we couldn't figure it out. It was horrible. He lost 3lbs- that's a big deal for such a little guy. He FINALLY got over that..and now he has an ear infection that just won't quit.
    Do you have an idea how much money I've paid out in medical over the last three weeks?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia ~ I hope everyone at the Kelly house stays healthy for a very long time! I remember when you were going through all of that. So awful!

      Delete
    2. About the time we started with the constant ear infections was when we got my oldest tubes in his ears. Cut back on the number of ear infections significantly.

      Fortunately, the youngest didn't get them as often and so he never needed tubes.

      I hope your little guy gets back on track.

      Delete
    3. You poor guys! And now an ear infection? Yeesh- well, hopefully that's the last if it!

      Delete
  7. Thanks guys, but it has gotten better since then and I try not to complain about bad luck after that year. I do find that singing "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter always puts a smile on my face or find the chipmunk version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, I had no idea the Chipmunks had a version. LOL. Now I'll have to look that up. :)

      Delete
  8. Hmmm...well, how many threes in a row is it supposed to be? LOL.

    Let's see. We found out my uncle had terminal cancer. Then my grandfather was in the hospital. Then my grandmother had bronchitis while my grandfather was in the hospital AGAIN. There's three.

    Then I found out I'd torn my rotator cuff by sleeping on it badly. Then my uncle died. Then I got sick with a sinus infection the day before I had to fly out of town. There's another three.

    Then my sinus infection turned into pneumonia around the time I had to fly back into town. Then my cat had an ulcer on her eye and I had to give her eye drops four times a day for a week. Then my laptop decided the motherboard was going to go out on me. There's another three.

    That's three threes. I was hoping I was done there, but yesterday I had to take my desktop in. It, too, has a motherboard problem. Luckily it is still in warranty, but I won't get it back for three weeks. We'll see what the next two bad luck things to complete this threesome will be, and then I'll be crossing my fingers that four sets of three is all I get for a while...because honestly, these last two months have about done me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You overachiever. ;)

      I really do hope your bad luck is behind you, Catherine. I'm wishing for a great year for you.

      Delete
    2. Ack!! Talk about a bad run, Catherine! I hope that it is all put of your system for good- only positive luck from now on!

      Delete
  9. But Erin, I have all the faith in the world that you'll meet your deadline. And I can't WAIT to read what you've done with this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, hope things are on the mend for you Erin! That sounds like on of those weeks you just hope gets over quickly and you can forget all about it!
    I had one of those about a month ago. I was going to another town close to mine to help take care of my Grandfather, who is in the final(and worst) stage of Parkinson's. It was one of those things where in my huge family I was the only one available during the daytime to go down and help my Grandmother, I am a stay at home mom and all my other family members work. My sons are both in school, so my daytime is free to do what I want or need to do. Well, after the 3rd day of going down there I started sneezing and thought oh no I am not going to be able to go down there and help, I didn't want to make my grandparents sick as well, so I called and told my Grandmother and she says 'we are sick too so you might as well come anyway!' So I didn't feel good, was helping with my Grandpa and then my teenage son decided to freak me out and almost literally give me a heart attack!! I won't say what it was, but lets just say it involved a girl. I was so sick over it, I really did start having chest pains and my blood pressure was sky high, about 190/100! I went to the doc and the ran all kinds of tests to make sure I was not having a heart attack, thankfully it was just stress, but OMG it was all too much. (ps, I don't know if I will make it alive through my two sons teenage years!)
    They have now put my Grandfather in a nursing home, everything worked out with my son and his fiasco, tho I will have to tie him up for the next 5 or 6 years! I hope I do not have another bad week like that one for a long, long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness- two teen boys may result in more bad luck streaks, lol! What a trooper you were to care for your grandparents even while sick- that's gotta amount to a lot of good karma!

      Delete
  11. Bad Luck:

    1) December 19 - Car goes to shop for noises. Prognoses, $2200 in repairs - mostly parts, labor was a little less than half the cost.

    2) Hubby's Grandmother Died, we buried her with the family the day after Christmas

    3) January - Kids don't adjust well to school. Three weeks of stress and visits to the schools for early pickups and chatting with teachers and principals.

    Umm, yeah I'm so done with this set of 3s.


    Sorry you have the plaque. But I can't wait to read your book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, Beth- you guys got it from all sides! Financial, personal, and emotional things must have added up to be such a drain. I hope all is better for you guys now!

      Delete
    2. Apparently not. We got another note and official notice that one more episode and our youngest will be suspended. This despite our request for a meeting early last week and which we can't get all the needed parties together until 2 and half weeks from now.

      Because obviously we need to cut back on exceptional children personal because it's not important to have help available on a moments notice.

      Delete
  12. I think I want to cry. I just cracked my iPhone. I guess it would be consider it a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL I think today is the day to go and hide for a while. I'm afraid to even post LOL.

    Usually if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all but this year is looking really, really bright as my hubby just got a new job after being laid off for well over a year, we've got a new apartment and things are really looking up so far. *knocks on wood* I'm praying that it continues because I could really use some good luck for awhile. I think I might just cry if things started to go downhill and my good luck only lasted for a few months...surely fate can't be that cruel.

    With that said, omgosh you guys, I really feel so sorry for you all. Maybe I passed all my bad luck to you guys. And I am soo sorry if I did. I really hope things start looking up again Erin, Olivia, Beth, Catherine, and Melody...Ack! I'm so sorry about your phone!

    The thing that I've learned over the years is to believe in yourself when things take a turn for the worse. Believe that you'll survive and that there really is a tomorrow. I'm sending much love and hugs for you guys through all your woes. I really hope things get better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice, Suzie! And as far as I'm concerned, you were due for a streak of good luck!

      Delete
  14. My most recent string of bad luck was with my kids. Both boys came down with lice. Who can write anything when they have to do nine loads of laundry a day just not to fall too far behind. I've finally crawled my way out of the pit of laundry and tomorrow, crossing my fingers, I hope to have three hours of uninterrupted writing. Good luck, E, I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! And lice?! Man, I've been there, done that - ick yuck and boo!

      Delete
  15. Knock on wood, we haven't had a string of bad luck lately. I think my life tends to run on the "feast or famine" principle. I either have nothing much to do or else everything hits at once. Last week I had my book release and guest blogging every day, galleys due back, revisions, and an author video. Plus my husband and daughter became sick. Fortunately, everyone is feeling better now, and my revision deadline was extended to this Friday. The video? It's just a wash. I couldn't get any sound.

    I hope things are better for you this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one busy lady! But yes, thinks are better this week, thank goodness! I'm looking forward to some quality writing time!

      Delete
  16. Hope you're doing better, Erin!

    You know good things come in threes as well. So, you should have three good things happen to balance out the bad.

    My bad luck was sick kids, a nail in my tire and last night I knocked over a full glass of tea onto some important papers--like our family calendar. awesome.

    PS Google on Blogger here still doesn't like me. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man - so much sickness going around! And boo hiss on the nail and the spilled tea. Those sorts of things are so annoying!

      Delete