Our Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Love at First Sight

There are moments in your life when you see something you like, love, and decide that you just have to have the thing you see. Falling in love can be like that. It’s happened to me before; the hot clerk at my first job, watching Chris Hemsworth in THOR, holding my boys in my arms just seconds after they were born. And I can never forget the moment my husband sat beside me for the first time ever. We were just ten at the time. LOL

But there is another man in my life now. A very demanding fellow actually. If it wasn’t for his habit of literally falling at my feet, frequently on them, I might not love Morpheus as much as I do.



All right, who am I kidding? It was love at first sight when I saw this big boy chillin’ behind bars at the local RSPCA. Can you imagine every giving up this beautiful boy? He’s quiet, housetrained (although he likes to get up onto tables out of any drafts which annoys everyone in the house), he doesn’t claw furniture or scratch up the kids. It amazed me then, and especially now, that someone actually gave such a sweet cat away.

I knew the moment I saw him that I’d take him back to my place. He was four when we found him, and in that age bracket where he had only a short stint on the kitty counter before they made a serious decision about his life expectancy. Not everyone likes cats, however, as evidenced by what a mean neighbor of mine did to him last year (see below). Couldn’t find out who, unfortunately. I remember looking out the kitchen window and then turning to my son to check: "The cat IS pink isn't he?" Thankfully it eventually washed/wore off. Doesn’t he look unhappy and un-pretty in pink?



In Australia, the RSPCA is working for a world in which no animal fit to be re-homed (adopted) is put to sleep. I’m pretty glad to have done my part. Adopted mature pets can make your life so much richer. Morpheus has been a constant surprise; I never know when he’s going to trip me up, or fall on my feet.


Naughty and Nice Week continues. Today two commenters will win signed copies of Lily George's book "Captain of Her Heart" and Samantha Grace's "Miss Hillary Schools a Scoundrel." Please indicate in your comment if you wish to be entered into Lily's draw only, Samantha's only, or if you would like a chance to win either book.

21 comments:

  1. Morpheus is adorable. My friend recently adopted two cats. She doesn't have children and she says they're treated as if they were. Please enter me for a copy of Samantha's book.
    janie1215 AT excite DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have more cats if my dh would let me. Good luck in the draw.

      Delete
  2. Morpheus really2 cute . I just can't imagine how people could be so cruel by put a pink colour in Morpheus :(. It is really annoying:(. I would like to win any of the book. Just win any of the book already makes me more than happy ( ecstatically happy) :D, aretha_zhen@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Aretha. Good luck in the draw!

      Delete
  3. Awww....he's adorable! And I'll bet he loved you just as quickly!

    Our cat is a female, and very spoiled. Just the way she likes it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've mostly had boy cats but my last was female, and very, very vocal. Morpheus is the strong (mostly) silent type. He's easier on the ears. LOL

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful kitty boy! It's a shame he was put up for adoption--but if he hadn't been, he wouldn't have found you. I love happy endings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lily. Good luck with your book release!

      Delete
  5. Heather,

    He's beautiful! No wonder it was love at first sight. I'm wondering how in the world he was dyed pink. Was it paint?

    I love what Australia is trying to do and I hope y'all succeed. We've adopted all of our pets. Well, our sweet calico was a farm kitty, but I have no doubt she would have had a short life if we hadn't provided a home for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not paint. At first I though it was something like buiders chalk, his coat was dry by the time I saw him and he felt a little gritty. But the more I looked at where the color was darkest the more I suspected he'd been CAUGHT and DUNKED in a clothing dye or maybe food coloring. He does not like water, and his belly and feet were deep pink. He had a splash of color across his head too. People can be so mean.

      Delete
  6. OMG! Pink? They turned the cat pink? That's awful! At least it washed out ok. Still, I can't imagine thinking "Today I'm going to turn the neighbor's cat pink." Who does that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always amazes me what people will do. I hope I don't know them.

      Delete
  7. I was thinking the same thing as Ava! "Who DOES that?!" I think someone needs a bag of flaming dog (or cat, heehee) poo left on their doorstep. That's just so mean.
    We don't currently have any pets, if you discount my two young boys, because I am allergic (big surprise if you know me) to just about every animal. I can tolerate some dogs, and I dislike birds, so that's out. We had a lizard once, but they're hard to get emotionally attached to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I couldn't bear to be allergic to pets. My whole childhood would have been miserable. Was a farm raised girl. The only lizards I like are wild blue-tongue lizards and the little tiny ones you find in the garden. But they are NOT cuddly. LOL

      Delete
  8. There is nothing more wonderful than knowing you've saved a life :) All three of my pups are rescues, and the middle one was a little older and abused when we got her. Glad you fell in love with Morpheus - I'm sure he feels the same way about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first dog was a rescue, too. Miss him.

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness! Pink Morpheus is just WRONG. He wore it well, though. My cats have found a way to worm their way into my heart. Dakota really wasn't given a fair shot at this world--her mama cat abandoned her the day she was born. I often remind myself of this when she digs her claws into my jeans to climb up me (at 9 months old!), because she didn't have a kitty mama to teach her claw manners. It's been a long road, but well worth it. And just today, I had Kiki at the vet for followup on her eye injury. She was scared and looking for somewhere to hide, but couldn't find somewhere...so she crawled inside my coat with me and was trying to sneak into the armhole. I couldn't help but laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morpheous is not quite that affectionate to crawl into my coat, but I've had a previous cat try to snuggle under my hair. Such an odd feeling. He didn't get to try that again. LOL

      Delete
  10. LOL aww poor kitty! Morpheus is adorable and who wouldn't love him? Mean ol' neighbors! I love my little shih tzu. He's going on ten years old and still acts like young pup sometimes. I've had him sitting at my feet for so long now I don't know what I'll do without him. Unfortunately, I couldn't bring him to the new apartment with me so my mother took him for this year. But we're definitely looking to move again because I have to get my Peppy Le'Pew back soon. It's killing me. I still get up every morning and think I have to take the dog out and then realize that no, I really don't. =(

    And I laughing so hard at the image of Olivia trying to love on a lizard! LOL Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It bites having to leave a pet behind. I've had to do that before. Luckily, my mum seems to like my animals and will always take in a 'granddog' or 'grandcat' if it becomes necessary. She calls them that, not me. LOL

      Delete
  11. Oh, how horrible that someone made your big boy all pink. He's lovely, and I'm sure he's glad it wore off. I'm a cat person myself, and getting ready to adopt a couple of kitties soon, since I lost my last one last year. I would love to win either book, they both sound fabulous.

    ReplyDelete