Our Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Planning the not so perfect Oscar Party.

Every year one of my best friends has an incredible party for the Oscars.  She rolls out the red carpet.  Literally!  When you arrive at her house there is a red carpet rolled out along her walkway that you stroll up to get to her front door.  She has tiki torches burning, and once you are inside her party, you are greeted with wine, a specialty drink and a buffet full of the most amazing food.  There is always a chocolate fondue fountain, along with enough calorie packed appetizers to keep even the most finicky of eaters happy.  And to entertain you during the show, you receive an Oscar ballot and a pencil.  Your job is to bubble in your choice of who you think will win each category for the Oscars.
During the show there are prizes drawn at random, provided by my friend, and at the end of the show whoever got the most guesses right on their ballot receives a grand prize, which is pretty awesome!  But no one goes away empty handed. My friend creates Oscar cd’s that are compilations of the songs from all the movies up for the Oscars.  Also in our goodie bags are usually things like a bit of makeup, after all, we like to look as good as the stars, and one year she sent us all home with infused vodka! 
Keep in mind my friend works for a large corporation, Barnes and Nobles, and she has a great deal of experience planning things.  She does it for a living! 
This year, when I heard the news my friend was going to be in California during the Oscars, I decided I couldn’t very well sit at home and watch the Oscars alone.  Boring!  I was used to being pampered like a star!  I got a whim and decided to have a mini Oscar party myself.  What was I thinking?  I’m no party planning expert!  I quickly made sure to tell my friend’s not to expect the red carpet treatment.  After all, with two young kids running around my house I’m not even going to try to live up to K’s Oscar Party. 
There will be no cd mixes or infused vodka at my party, but there will be lots of good food and plenty of wine and Cosmopolitans. After all, girlfriends cannot come together without a good Cosmo.
Just in case you get a bee in your bonnet and you want to have an Oscar get together on Sunday, I thought I’d share some of the yummy recipes I’m planning with you.

Scrambled eggs & gravlax on little toasts
4 eggs
2/3 cup heavy cream
4 tsp butter
Good-quality baguette, thinly sliced toast, toasted
3.5 oz sliced gravlax (or smoked salmon), each slice cut into 4 pieces

Little bowls of crab & lemon risotto
5 cups chicken broth
1 tbs olive oil
4 tbs unsalted butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 ½ cups Arborio rice
Finely grated zest of one lemon, plus extra to garnish
1 tbs lemon juice
6 oz fresh crabmeat

Tomato & goat cheese galette
½ package frozen puff pasty, thawed
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
10 oz soft goat cheese, crumbled
2 tbs fresh thyme leaves
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tbs olive oil
1 egg, beaten with ¼ cup milk

Arnancini (risotto fritters)
1 cup all purpose flour
2 lightly beaten eggs
2 cups dried breadcrumbs

Shrimp and caper finger sandwiches
1 cup mayo
½ cup salted capers
2 tbs finely chopped mint leaves
1/3 cup lemon juice
dash of Tabasco sauce
16 slices wheat bread
1 ½ obs cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, slice din half lengthways.

Dessert – Bought!  I don’t do desserts very well!

If you want the *how to* for any of these recipes simply ask in your comment, and I will comment back with the directions.

Now for the fun stuff.  Who do you think is going to win and do you have any recipes I must make?

Have a great day!
Julie Johnstone, The Marchioness of Mayhem  

19 comments:

  1. Julie ~ Oh! I want to come!!

    It sounds like you are going to have so much fun. I would totally bring dessert, if I lived closer (that's the one thing I can make ok.) And your recipes sound delicious.

    Back in my screenwriting days, we used to have lavish Oscar parties. *sigh* those were the days. * BUT as for this year... I don't know who will win. I can tell you who I hope will win. I loved, loved, loooooved Martin Scorsese's HUGO. It was my favorite film of the year, but since it's a "kids" movie, or as close as Scorsese gets to a "kids" movie - I don't know what sort of chance it has.

    Have a great time at your Oscar Party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to really pay attention to the Oscars, back in the day when I was managing movie theaters. I was usually working on Oscar night, though, so never really got to do the big parties like this. And in recent years, I've found I just really don't get into it all that much. I don't have a clue what is nominated, and I doubt I've seen many of the films that are up for awards. Kinda sad, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ava,
    I want to hear all about your lavish party! I hope HUGO wins too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine,
    I know what you mean about not paying attention. Before my I started going to my friend's Oscar party, I never had a clue who was nominated or when the show even was. Now, though, I make it a point to see at least a few of the nominated movies, and obviously, I watch the show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,

    This sounds like great fun! I hate to say it, but I have no idea what or who is nominated this year. I feel like I've been living in a cave, and not a man-cave with cable.

    I love dips of all kinds, so you have to make a dip! Maybe an artichoke one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, Samantha! I do have an easy artichoke recipe. I'll have to pull it out. Hope you come out of your cave soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a party, Julie! I don't think your friends will mind a low-key party--especially since there will be Cosmos on hand! ;)

    Most likely I won't be watching the Oscars this year, because we've given up having cable/satellite. Maybe one of my friends will throw a Oscar party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I love the Oscars and Billy Crystal is back this year! I think Meryl Streep is going to sweep the awards categories, including Best Score, Male Lead and Best Technical. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marquita,
    Are you giving this up for Lent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I don't celebrate Lent; I'm Baptist. :) We gave it up, because we thought it was better for us as a family. However, we kept Netflix. So...it not a total pop culture blackout. hee!

      Delete
  10. Olivia,
    I'm with you. Meryl is a shoe-in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dude - I'm coming to *your* house! Your menu looks amazing - I'm sure you'll have a great time! I'll be DVRing it so I can watch it (along with all the Downton Abbeys) once this blasted deadline has past!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with the deadline! I need to check out Downton Abbey. I've heard so many good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like so much fun Julie! Hmmm..I can make a good chicken pate, or maybe another dessert to go along with Ava's. I love dessert.

    This year has been such a hectic whirl, I haven't seen most of the nominated movies. Usually I'm better about it, and have some idea of who I want to win. I can't wait to see Hugo, after Ava's endorsement. Ava, have you read the book it was based on?

    Have a wonderful time, Julie and we'll want to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a stretch for me to see the movies as well. I'll let you know how it goes!

      Delete
  14. It does sound like fun, Julie! I'm coming to your house LOL. I couldn't even begin to imagine what it takes to host something like that and probably never will. I'm doing good to host the Superbowl party for just me and my boys LOL. Besides everything on my menu comes premade and not by me as I can't cook lol. If it doesn't come ready made I don't buy it. Sad isn't it? lol. Good luck and have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not sad, Suzie, just smart. Think of all the time you save not having to cook. I do so love to entertain, though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love watching the Oscars. I call it frock night and my hubby knows enough to back away from the remote control. Your party sounds like so much fun, haven't watched with others since I moved out of my parents house. (That was a while ago) Your way sounds so much better than suffering strange looks the men in my family direct my way. LOL I hope you have a great night! Wish I could be there.

    ReplyDelete