Our Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

How well do you know your romance?


Basically, because I am utterly brain dead after scrambling to meet an eleven o’clock deadline and getting the material in at 10:59, I thought it might be a great time to have some fun!  So, I’m going to test how well you know your romance!  I will send a $10.00 Barnes and Noble gift card to the person who can tell me the title and author of the six books I’ve taken a line from and put in quotes below.  If you would prefer an Amazon gift card, I can do that as well.  Just make sure when you answer to leave your e-mail address, so I can contact you.  The first person to answer correctly is the winner! 

I’ve chosen six books in honor of the fact that I’m about to complete my sixth book. Here’s a hint.  If you keep  up with my blogs then you know how much importance I put in the first line of a book, and if you don't keep up with me you should!  I'm just as much fun as the Kardashians!  

So without further ado, please name the books and the authors.  Good luck!

  1. “Knowing precisely why no one wants to marry you is slim consolation for the truth of it.”
  2. “The sound of a war horn sliced through the day, announcing the coming of Blackthorne Keeps new lord.”
  3. “I woke to the patter of rain on canvas, with the feel of my husband’s kiss on my lips.”
  4. “A stable boy wasn’t suppose to speak to an earl’s daughter, much less climb up to her bedroom window.”
  5. “Propped upon a mountain of satin pillows amid rumpled bed linens, Helene Devernay surveyed his bronzed muscular torso with an appreciative smile as Stephen David Elliot Westmoreland, Earl of Langford, Baron of Ellingwood, Fifth Viscount Hargrove, Viscount Ashbourne, shrugged into the frilled shirt he’d tossed over the foot of the bed last night.”
  6. “It was only a matter of time before the wedding guests killed one another.”

Good luck!
Julie Johnstone,
The Marchioness of Mayhem 


For added fun...


We now thought it might be interesting to see how well you know your Lady Scribes. Below are un-googleable first lines from our to-be released works. Can you match up the line with the right Lady Scribe? 


Participating ladies, in no particular order, are: 
Marquita Valentine
Jane Charles
Samantha Grace
Ava Stone
Olivia Kelly
Erin Knightley
Jerrica Knight-Catania
Andris Bear
Julie Johnstone 


The first person to correctly identify each first line with the lady who wrote it will also receive a $10 B&N or Amazon gift card. Remember to leave your email address to be entered.



     1. Bianca Manning was no idiot, though she was sure that’s what everyone else must have thought of her, if their behavior was any indication.

     2. I rarely thought about the day I killed my father anymore.

     3. Confound it, what the hell was all that racket?

     4. There were many things Summer Holland had been accused of doing, many things she’d been proudly guilty of committing, but crashing a wedding had never been one of them-until now.

     5. Home, with all of London’s once familiar sights, sounds and, of course, the smell that could only be the Thames.

     6. Grandmamma had always said nothing good happened under the cloak of darkness.

     7. Shadows gathering in the thick brush, twilight crept up the trees, stretching dusky fingers to brush the horizon where the sky was still streaked pink and gold.

     8. I almost turned tail, hauled ass back into the hospital, and demanded a complete mental work up or a full lobotomy.

     9. I am a fraud. Miss Eleanor Weston took another step back.


Good luck!!
~ Lady Scribes

55 comments:

  1. Nope. I've got nothing. But number 6 is a fantastic line. I need to know what book that's from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love number six, too! Heck, I love them all, that's why I picked them!

      Delete
  2. 1. Desperate Duchess by Eloisa James
    2. Untamed by Elizabeth Lowell
    3. The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldan
    4. Again the Magic by Lisa Kleypas
    5. Until You by Judith McNaught
    6. The Gift by Julie Garwood

    debby236 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby,

      You got them all! Congratulations! You really know your romance! I'll contact you shortly to get your information for the gift card.

      Delete
  3. Julie ~ How embarrassing to realize I know so little about romance! :) A couple sounded familiar, but I find my brain has slowly turned to mush the older I age. Good luck to everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ava,
      My brain is mush too! These are some of my favorite books, but I didn't remember all the first lines.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the completion of your 6th book, Julie! That's an amazing accomplishment! And good luck to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb, but I'm not quite there yet! Almost there, I just like to celebrate early!

      Delete
  5. Julie,

    You are WAY more fun than the Kardashians. :)

    I have no idea on any of them, but if Debby is correct, I haven't read any of those books. Of course, I probably wouldn't remember the lines anyway. I'm horrible with that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read all of these (if Debby is indeed correct) and I recognized only the last. Mostly because Garwood is fabulous with her one liners.

    Congrats on your 6th book, Julie!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marnee! I love Garwood's opening lines. She's one of the best at hooking you from the very first sentence.

      Delete
  7. Wow,I've read none of these. Or if I have, I don't recognize any of them. But I agree that I LOVE the 6th one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Cynthia. You should pick these up, they are oldies but goodies.

      Delete
  8. Obliviously I'm not reading the right books, because I have no clue what they are. I know I have read a lot of books this past years. Oh well. Once the winner is pick are you going to put names of the titles on the blog. I might have to read them, cause quotes intrigue me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody,

      Thanks for stopping by and definitely pick some of these books up. They are really good!

      Delete
  9. The 6th one grabbed me but I too don't recognize any of those lines. I look forward to seeing what the answers are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,
      The sixth one seems to be the attention grabber of the bunch. I should send Ms. Garwood a shout out!

      Delete
  10. Fun post and congrats on finishing the book.

    If Debby is correct, then I have read half of those books. But while a great opening line grabs me and puts me in the mood for a good read, I tend to forget what that awesome opening line was by the time I reach the end of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane,

      I do love great first lines, but I too forget them as I get further into the book. However, if I reread the book, I tend to remember the first line that originally caught my attention.

      Delete
  11. Lord, I NEVER retain that kind of information! I'm doing good if I can even remember the characters' names a month later, lol. Kudos to anyone what that kind of recall :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW. I get my kids' and puppy's names wrong most of the time. I recognize maybe two of them. Good way to stump us this morning, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are only three books in the world that I know, without a doubt, that I know the first line of: The Bible, A Tale of Two Cities, and The Outsiders. The rest? I'm clueless. I don't even know what the first line is of any of my own books anymore! LOL. This is a great quiz, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine,

      What great books to know the first line!

      Delete
    2. They are certainly all different from each other. ;)

      Delete
  14. Great post, but I am TOTALLY stumped! You should be on Romance Jeopardy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL I haven't read any of those sadly, but what an excellent blog post! Good luck to all the new entrants for the second contest!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Suzie,

    I think that just shows how diverse everyone's taste is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I DO still can't the second part of it. Man I feel like... well I can't really say because I don't want to. However, can I call a friend or ask the audience or how about phone a friend. ;). Great blog. My reading list gets longer everyday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Melody. Make some guesses. I bet you'd get a couple right. ;)

      Delete
    2. Yes. Just take a guess. If you win, you can add to your reading list with the gift card.

      Delete
  18. Ava don't laugh if I get them totally wrong. Chance are I wil, but I will give it a try.
    1. Olivia Kelly
    2. Jane Charles
    3. Ava Stone
    4. Julie Johnstone
    5. Samantha Grace
    6. Jerrica Knight-Catania
    7. Andris Bear
    8. Marquita Valentine
    9. Erin Knightley

    Those are my picks on who is who.

    countessofmar@yahoo.com

    For the long shot. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry, Melody. Not even one right. :( But I can see why you answered the way you did on some of them. You're welcome to try again. ;)

      Delete
  19. Not quite, Melody, but great guess!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I told you guys it was a long shot

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok. let me try again. Another long shot attempt here

    1. Jane Charles
    2. Andris Bear
    3. Samantha Grace
    4. Jerrica Knight-Catania
    5. Olivia Kelly
    6. Erin Knightly
    7. Julie Johnstone
    8. Ava Stone
    9. Martquita Valentine

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not, yet, Melody! Sorry, but another good try!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Maybe we should break it up between historical and contemporary to make it easier. Then there are less choices for each category.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Marquita, Julie, Andrin and Olivia are contemporary. Jerrica, Erin, Ava, Samantha and Jane are historical. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I meant by sentence, too. :)

      1, 3, 5, 6 & 9 are historical.

      2, 4, 7 & 8 are contemporary.

      I think I have that right.

      Delete
  25. Ok. Let me try again.

    1. Jerrica Knight-Catania
    2. Olivia Kelly
    3. Jane Charles
    4. Andris Bear
    5. Erin Knightley
    6.Samantha Grace
    7. Marquita Valentine
    8. Julie Johnstone
    9. Ava Stone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody ~ You got #1 and #6 correct. ;)

      Delete
  26. Lol. Better than nothing. Back to the drawing board

    ReplyDelete
  27. Here we go again.

    1. Jerrica Knight-Cantania*
    2. Julie Johnstone
    3. Erin Knightley
    4. Marquita Valentine
    5. Ava Stone
    6. Samantha Grace*
    7. Olivia Kelly
    8. Andris Bear
    9. Jane Charles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations!!!! You go them right! I'll be contacting you to get your information and your preference on the gift card.

      Delete
    2. Yeah. That was a lot of work.

      Delete
    3. WOW - Fantastic job, Melody!! You totally earned that gift card!

      Delete
    4. Thank you. Thanks Sam and Julie for your help. Otherwise I would be still trying to figure it out. I would have too.

      Delete
    5. Yay! The gift card is well deserved! Perhaps we should send you a bottle of Tylenol, too. ;)

      Delete
    6. Lol. I kept some notes nearby with my previous answers.

      Delete
  28. Wow!! I think you got them all! Someone correct me, if I'm wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This kinda of reminds me of sport center during march madness and their bracktology.

    ReplyDelete