Our Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

I Survived Prom


I Survived Prom

For the second year in a row I feel like I need to buy a T-shirt that says “I Survived Prom!”

 
I suppose to start this story; I need to begin with last year’s prom.  I was about an hour and a half away from home at an outlet mall searching for a prom dress that wouldn’t cause me to have to take out a second mortgage on the house, and a storm hits. Hard. There was nothing at the outlet mall anyway, so we tear out of there drive to one of those discount warehouses where every prom dress is $99.  Yay, I’m thinking we hit the jackpot. 

 
But no. The only person who could wear those slinky thin dresses without looking like they were starring in an X-rated movie, were size zero girls or 11-year-olds who hadn’t yet hit puberty.  And then the storm found us. Again! It sounded like a hurricane was bashing the metal warehouse un-insulated roof.  We high-tailed it out of there drove another half-hour outrunning the storm and troopers that we were ended up at the mall. 

I should stop here to say I hate malls. Store after store. Walking, walking, walking.  I want everything but can have nothing . . . well, you get my drift. I digress.  We are now in the dressing room trying on one gown after another, and the phone rings.  It’s our friends from a mile down the road.  “Was our house okay?” she asked, her voice high-pitched and trembling.
“Is my HOUSE okay?” My heart lurched. “What do you mean?”
Apparently a tornado had just taken off half her roof. 

A TORNADO?

Now, I’m from California. We don’t get tornadoes. We get cute little wind-whippers. All the way home I’m wondering about what we’re going to find. News images from places like Kansas where are that’s left is rubble run through my mind, torturing me. I start worrying about my dogs. My cat. My other kids!

Finally, we get closer to our neighborhood. Trees are torn up and uprooted.  The roads are barely passable. Lots of roofs down, and fences torn up. 


 
But then we pull into our neighborhood, and everything is fine. Not a leave off a tree. How is that possible?

Needless to say, prom dress shopping that day was over.

Eventually we found the perfect prom dress at a bridal shop, and I swore I would never shop anywhere else again.

Fast forward to this year. I waited too long and a week before prom our favorite bridal shop had NOTHING. Here we go again, driving all over the state searching for that one dress that popped!

Finally, we found a Prom dress. No natural disasters this time. Just the normal — alterations, rushing across town to beat the clock and make it to the tailor on time. The search for the perfect shoes.  




The perfect pedicure.

The hair. The hair jewelry. HAIR JEWELRY? Who knew? Not me.


 
Next, a special trip to find the necklace and earrings, and I’m beginning to think I’m going to need to call the loan agent after all, when I go to the florist to buy the flowers. Oh, and let’s not forget the professional make-up job.

It was a whirlwind week. And she looked beautiful. But I had to admit, after hours and hours of shopping, I lost my patience and told her she was being way too picky. Her answer to me— “Just wait until I get married, mom!”




31 comments:

  1. So glad to see your first post, Cynthia!

    And you've made me SO glad I have boys...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my son had driven to Hillsborough, got fitted for his tux, bought it and was almost home before Andrianna had tried on her first dress. ::sigh:: A boy's big questions are bow tie or not? color coordinate or not? And you should have heard my son whine about what a pain it all was. HA! :D

      Delete
  2. Forgot to say...you both look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Cynthia! Wow. I still have several years before my daughter will go to prom, but I better get caught up on my sleep before then. Great picture of you & your daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I do feel better prepared for the 'big day' but it was painful! LOL!

      Delete
  4. Cynthia ~ what a beautiful dress! All the insanity paid off, right? That last line struck the fear of God in me. "just wait until I get married." You will be in trouble then.

    Like Deb, you just made me very glad I have a son. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did! That dress was stunning (and we got it on sale, too!)! I was thinking if I ever need a Rita dress.... ;D

      Delete
  5. What a cute and exhausting post, lol! Welcome Cynthia! My oldest is 8 so we have a few years before prom--thank goodness. Beautiful picture of you two.

    My senior year in high school, I had to go to two proms in one night! It was such a pain, but Hot Builder and I had a great time anyway. Not so sure what my parents were thinking, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marquita --- go buy you mom flowers right NOW! ;D

      Delete
  6. Did you wear two dresses Marquita?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I only wore one. Man, now I think I should have. LOL!

      Delete
  7. First off, welcome to Lady Scribes! I'm excited to see your first post with us.

    Secondly, thank goodness your house, pets, and kids were all okay after the tornado. I live in North Texas, which is right smack dab in the middle of tornado alley, so I know all too well the devastation they can cause. Just a month or so ago, we had a day where more than 20 tornadoes formed and touched down in the DFW area. Scary stuff!

    And finally, you must have the patience of a saint. I don't know how moms of girls go through all of that. LOL. That made me glad that not only do I not have daughters, but I don't have sons either. All I have are cats. And the Nephew Monster, but these sorts of things will be left to his mommy and daddy, not to me. I can just come over in time to snap a few pictures and steal a hug, and then leave again...letting them deal with the actual insanity involved in getting ready for things like prom and weddings and whatnot. Goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Catherine! I'm so glad you survived your tornados! I realized after that I really do need to pay attention to the news, tho I still get warnings and watches confused. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A watch means watch out, the weather conditions are right and one could be on the way. A warning means take cover now, because there is already one for real. :)

      Delete
  9. Cynthia, I cannot tell you how I already dread prom. And my oldest is only 9! But maybe it won't be so bad because she refuses to wear dresses. It kills me. She is my doppleganger child and I want to dress her up all girly and she wants none of it! Grrr.
    I love that you thought of your dog, then cat, and THEN your other kids after the tornado. Bahaha!
    Cute post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andris, you could be in luck! My oldest daughter was the same way. Tomboy all the way. So, for her first prom she picked out a cute dress pretty quickly, did her own hair, nails, and makeup, borrowed jewelry and purse from me and she was good to go. Her second year was even easier. That's why you had to scrape me off the ceiling when it came to daughter number two! ;D

      And I'm so glad you caught that about the dogs,cats,kids! I giggled as I did that!! ;D

      Delete
    2. From your lips to God's ears! I hope Princess (daughter one) is easy because I'm CERTAIN Diva (#2) will have me in a jacket that ties in back inside a padded room by the time she's done. That girl is 8 and changes outfits AT LEAST 3 times a day. *shudders*

      Delete
  10. It's so wonderful to have you join us, Cynthia! Man, I really feel for you moms of prom-aged daughters. When I went shopping for my gown for the Golden Heart ceremonies, I was SO excited...until I actually got there and saw the dreadful collection of slinky and cheap dresses that seemed to be designed for the sole purpose of ending up on the floor. Thankfully, I managed to find a gorgeous dress, and I'm glad to see you and your daughter did as well. You both look wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erin, that is the very best way to put it! And these are dresses made for TEENAGERS that cost hundreds of dollars and they're so thin and slinky you can practically see through them. I asked the clerk if Hugh Hefner had gone into the prom dress designer business! ;D I'm sorry I missed your dress, I bet it was BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cynthia,
    It's great to have you hear with us! I live in Alabama so I know all about tornadoes. They call the area where I live tornado alley. I'm so glad your house was okay last year, and that this years prom dress search was uneventful weather wise. You and your daughter both look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can so relate to your post, Cynthia. Not the tornado, thank goodness, but the prom shopping. With two daughters, I have survived four. I am just glad they girls are three years apart so I didn't have 2 going to prom at once. That would have been a nightmare. Your daughter's dress is gorgeous! I only have a boy left in high school and all I can think is that his proms are going to be a piece of cake in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah. Boys are soooo easy. ;D I'm going to be an empty nester and all I can say to that is -- yahoo!!

      Delete
  14. Cynthia, I love your post and the dress is so pretty. Being a Cali girl myself I'm not a fan of tornados. I have been fortunate that I haven't seen one when I lived in the south. I'm glad that you didn't have the added pressure of a spring storm. I hope that your daughter had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did. I think as a senior she's savoring every moment. Yep, earthquakes are a piece of cake compared to hurricane storms and tornadoes! ;D

      Delete
    2. When I loved living in the south and people would gasp when I say I loved living in California and they would talk about earthquakes and they would be able to live there cause of earthquakes. I would just laugh, because I haven't been through an earthquake. I tried to explain that I wasn't from LA or San Francisco.

      Well, you have a while before you have to plan for a wedding at least.

      Delete
    3. I lived in San Jose at the time of the Loma Prieta quake. That was pretty bad. But all the others were just little shakers in comparison. But we never stopped waiting for the big one!

      Delete
    4. I grew up in the Santa Barbara area the worst we got have been aftershocks from north or south of us

      Delete
  15. LOL It's posts like these that make me so happy I had all boys! I had my first senior prom last year. He didn't make it to the first one. For the second one he was single and he flew solo. He had a great time but he loves the single life too much lately. I'm glad he's more interested in preparing for his future rather than long relationships though. He's a smart kid so I really don't worry too much about him.

    But all we had to do was go rent a tux which came with everything. It was easy peazy. My hubby claims we could never have a daughter because there could only be one diva in the house at a time lol. I'm not really a diva but I do wear the pants lol.

    I'm glad your house was all right after the tornado. They scare me to death although I've yet to experience one. I hope I never have to either. But I definitely think you deserve a shirt that says you've survived Prom night! LOL You totally deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Both you and your daughter look fabulous! I love the dress she picked out and I have to say she has excellent taste!

      Delete