Our Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

Interview with NYT Bestselling Author Rachel Gibson



If you've ever had a chance to read my Lady Scribes bio, you'd know right away who makes up my perfect trifecta of totally awesome contemporary romance writers: Carly Phillips, Lisa Kleypas, and Rachel Gibson. These talented women inspire me in so many ways (hot heroes really help, too) and I hope to one day join their ranks. 

Well, mark off another number on my bucket list and text St. Peter, because today the Rachel Gibson is with us at Lady Scribes to talk about her upcoming release RESCUE ME!!!




Marquita Valentine: Your last novel, Any Man of Mine, was hands down my favorite, but I'm really excited about Rescue Me and the new direction you're taking with having  Navy SEAL, Vince Haven, as your hero. One that just so happens to be the brother of Any Man of Mine's heroine, Autumn Haven. 

What can you tell us about this book, which releases of May 29.  Will it be first in a new series?

Rachel Gibson: Rescue Me is set in Lovett Texas, the same town I set Daisy's Back In Town and the e-book short story, Crazy On You. It was never my intention to return to Lovett or to write a Navy SEAL. There are many writers who are doing a fabulous job writing military men, and I never felt the urge to dip my toes in that pool. Never really thought that was my forte, but Vince Haven was such a pain in the neck while I was writing Any Man Of Mine, that I had to write his story. Once Autumn gets engaged, Vince doesn’t know what to do with his life. No longer the avenger or protector, he is a little lost. He is also dealing with some PTSD that he refuses to acknowledge.

Yes, this is the first book in a three book series. The e-book short, Crazy On You, is also tied to this series.

 MV: Judging by your facebook page, you are very concerned with warning your readers away from wicked long toenail and fingernail trends as well as Hilliby Hand Fishin'--which begs the question: Why the heck aren't you on Twitter so I can stalk, er... admire you from the other side of the country...I mean follow you?


RG: This is a little embarrassing, but I’m not all that up on Twitter. Don’t really know how it works, but I do know it would eat up hours in my day. I’m not very good at balancing family and writing and promotion and blogging and facebooking. I’m afraid Twitter is just one more thing that would overwhelm me.

MV: I love the covers of Crazy on You and Rescue Me. They still say romance but don't have the highly coveted and sometimes dreaded man chest-ery that scream sexy times await. And that's true for all of your novels.  Is this something that you've pushed for as an author?
  
RG: Yes. I don’t have anything against the bare chest covers. I just don’t think they convey what I write any more than a nice pasture scene would.

Until as recently as the cover for Any Man Of Mine, I haven’t had a lot of input in my covers or titles.

 MV: On The Goddess Blogs you wrote that you don't read Contemporary Romance novels because it feels like work for you, and that you  like to read paranormals and historicals. Care to share any favorites with us?
  
RG: I just finished reading The Hunger Games trilogy. I’ve read and enjoyed all of Jesse Petersen’s Zombie series and love Simon R. Green and Jim Butcher. The most recent historical I’ve read and enjoyed was Eloisa James’s The Duke Is Mine.


MV: For those of us who haven't already downloaded your novella, Crazy On You, how does it fit in?

 The hero, Tucker Matthews, was an army gunner and is now a Deputy Sheriff in a small Texas town. I wanted to represent another branch of the military and give him a happily ever after. The heroine, Lily Darlington, is eight years older than Tucker and really doesn’t want to date a younger man, but Tucker is relentless in his pursuit of Lily. Readers might recognize Lily as Daisy’s crazy sister in Daisy’s Back In Town. 


MV: One of the reasons I love your novels so much--besides your voice--is that you write the best alpha heroes. They're hot, smart (street or college) and real. They don't apologize for being men or thinking like one. And when I'm reading I don't think "oh this is what a woman thinks a man thinks." How do you get into the head of your heroes so well? 

RG: It just comes naturally for me. Men don’t think like women. Women want to analyze and figure out why someone said what they did or why they behave a certain way. Women are much more critical of other women. Men generally aren’t worried about the what and why’s, and they don’t care if a woman wears three hundred dollar jeans or if she shops at Wal-Mart. They just notice if her butt looks good. I actually think men are easier to write.


MV: Has there ever been something you've written and gotten heat for, or something that you'd wished you written--naysayers be damned?

 RG: Yeah, I get heat all the time. Mostly for silly things like readers who get really offended because the cars in my books are “gas guzzlers” or the heroine is stupid because she ran in heels and “will develop foot problems.” I know that I’m going to get flack anytime I write the word “gay.” Someone is going to write and accuse me of being homophobic. Those people look for reason’s to be offended. They have issues in their lives that have nothing to do with me. I know what I am and what I am not. My oldest daughter is gay and is more puzzled by the homophobic accusation than I am. I get offended by people who want to tie by hands with their views of political correctness.


If I didn’t have to worry about the naysayers, I’d be a lot less politically correct because real life isn’t always pc. 

MV: What's the most crazysauce or awesomesauce email/letter/gift you've ever gotten from a fan? 

Gloria Turnbull. She was a reader who lived in Florida, and she used to send me boxes of random stuff. Sometimes champagne and tiaras. Other times paper coasters from Chilis and scissors. One time she sent me a crazy photo of her collection of hot sauces. She died a few years ago and I miss her packages of random stuff.
  
MV:  Any advice for those of us that are still waiting for "THE CALL"?
  
Just keep writing. It’s a learning process. You can learn something from every rejection. And for goodness sake, don’t keep revising the same book for five years. Put it away and start something new.

 Thanks for stopping by Lady Scribes and helping my dream come true ( all thanks to Sue Grimshaw. Click on Romance@Random to read about my brush with Rachel and Colin Firth)! 





Rachel Gibson is a New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author of fast-paced contemporary romance novels. Publisher’s Weekly proclaims Rachel’s “clever, snappy dialog amuses at every turn” and “With humor and eloquent prose, Gibson brings substance and depth . . . to modern day romance.”

Four of her novels were named among the Top Ten Favorite Books of The Year by Romance Writers of America. Two of her novels, True Confessions and Not Another Bad Date, were awarded the RITA, Romance Writers of America’s highest honor of excellence. Some of Rachel’s other awards and achievements include The Golden Heart Award, the National Reader’s Choice, Amazon Editor’s Top Pick, Publisher Weekly’s Quill nominee and Borders bestselling romantic comedy.

When not writing, Rachel can be found boating on Payette Lake with Mr. Gibson or shopping for shoes.

What occupation do you love for a hero to have: NAVY SEAL, Hockey Player, Billionaire CEO, English Lord, Chicken Wrangler....

Rachel has generously offered ARCs of RESCUE ME to 2 commentors!!! 






84 comments:

  1. Rachel ~ Welcome to LadyScribes! Rescue Me sounds awesome! I think if I ever received a random package like you described, I'd sleep with my lights on. ;) But maybe I just watch way too much of the ID network though. LOL

    What is my favorite type of hero? Well, I am a historical girl... so I have to go with a Lord of some sort. Probably the pecking order of the peerage works for me - Duke, Marquess, Earl, Viscount and on occasion a lowly Baron.

    Good luck to all the commenters today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ava, I admit that at first the packages from Gloria freaked me out. Then I realized that she was just a fun, funny, lady who had a hard time throwing good useful things away. Like the pair of silver tongs she sent me.

      Rachel

      Delete
  2. I love Alpha heroes too, and though I write historicals, my heroes are all ex-military. I can't wait to read Rescue Me, Rachel! Thanks so much for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a lot of historicals and love alpha. Love to write alpha heroes too.

      Delete
  3. Rachel- I thought was cute about one of of your one of your fans did.

    I love historical novels so my favorite heroes tend to be Lords. My favorite are the ones that are the scoundrels and they change cause they found love.

    I love coming to this blog and seeing what's going on and gives me a chance to get to know other authors.

    Hey Ava I might have to send a random box now (j/k). ;)

    countessofmar@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody ~ LOL. Now I've got my eye on you. ;)

      Delete
    2. Lol. That actually reminds of sponge bob and mad snail disease episode. ; D you know you love me.

      Delete
    3. How about you send us all a box, Melody?

      So happy you love coming here. We love having you!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    4. I love reading a good historical with a sardonic lord.

      Delete
    5. Marquita I could send y'all a box of homemade cards if you like. ;)

      Delete
  4. Now this is awesome, Rachel has been my favorite contemporary romance author for as long as I can remember. There is something just lovable and touching about your writing.Because I read a vast assortment through all the romance sub-genres, I don't think I have a preference, I love any hero as long as the plot is strong.I have always gravitated towards books that tend to have a sense of humor in them, they give me a wonderful mix when I've been reading the dark and evil workings of the romantic suspense authors.

    temptnfate@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Misty (and not just on Rachel being your favorite either;)); I need some humor in my books. Even the most angtsy of novels can make us chuckle at times.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Ah . . . thanks Misty. I have been reading woman's fiction lately. Had to stop because I need some romance.

      Delete
    3. I can handle only so much women's fiction and then it gets to me.

      Delete
    4. Congrats Misty. You won an ARC of RESCUE ME!

      Delete
  5. Hi! For me it is not such a big deal what kind of job the hero has as long as he is a true hero and gentleman :). Love the heroine a big deal n never cheat:D, Aretha zhen, arethazhenATrocketmailDOTCOM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that, Aretha--a true hero and gentleman can have any occupation!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Love the heroine and never cheat is the definition of a real hero. A big bank account is a bonus.

      Delete
  6. Rachel,

    Thanks so much for making Marquita's dreams come true. We're thrilled to have you with us today. :)

    Even though I love historicals, there's something about a special ops guy that makes my heart skip a beat. Maybe because they are the best of the best? Deadly & safe at the same time, so long as you aren't the enemy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something appealing about a man you know can run ten miles with you on his back if you break your leg.

      Delete
  7. Navy seal. and english lord . they are my favorites to read about. e.morton@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad we can't combine those, Ebony. Or could we? ;)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. That could be a very interesting time travel!

      Delete
    3. Aren't William and Harry in the British military? I think they are much more handsome when in uniform.

      Delete
    4. I dunno about William and Harry. Sometimes a prince can turn into a frog!

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for joining us today, Rachel. I've found that being PC is more work than it is worth a lot of times. And just because we, as authors, write a character who isn't PC, that doesn't really say anything about the author! So annoying.

    Hmm...well, since I tend to write a bunch of English lords as heroes, I'd have to say they're a particular favorite. But I try not to read too much historical romance while I'm writing...so I'm also a fan of hockey players as heroes! That might have a little something to do with my hockey obsession. Maybe. Just a smidge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's not to love about hockey? Hot guys hitting each other with sticks.

      Delete
  9. I can't believe no one is picking Chicken Wrangler...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The two writers of some of my favorite contemporary romances in one blog post! It's my dream!

    As for ideal heroes, I adore Rachel's hockey players, though there is a special place in my heart reserved for Nick Allegrezza (who by profession more resembles your true-life hero, Marquita, Hot Builder, of course). I'm also very fond of English lords with secret identities. ;) Otherwise, a hero can have any identity or profession as long as he's hot, kind, smart and crazy for his heroine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katharine,

      Hard to beat a hot builder in a tool belt. I like English lords harassed by their sisters and mother.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! At first I read that as silver thongs and thought: so that's where Rachel got the inspiration for Faith Duffy...

      Delete
    2. Too funny. Silver thongs would definitely leave a mark.

      Delete
  12. Great interview, thanks - can't wait to read Rescue Me!
    Claire, UK

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hockey player. :) Love your hockey series in particular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks May. I enjoyed writing the hockey books. Probably will get back to them someday.

      Delete
  14. Something a bit exciting, and not too mainstream... Like a farmer or a bartender...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote a bar owner once. Never wrote a farmer though. Hmm . . .

      Delete
  15. Rachel, I love your books -- in fact, I just downloaded "Crazy on You" a few minutes ago and can't wait to get to it. My favorite hero is always the one with the awesome sense of humor -- it's very sexy to me, so it doesn't matter WHAT job he has. If a chicken wrangler can make me laugh, I'll take him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just downloaded Crazy On You, also. And an awesome sense of humor is always a huge turn on.

      Delete
  16. Great interview! I work in an all-woman office and between my boss and I we have the entire Rachel Gibson library. Most of us have read them all. I would have to say that the whole office agrees that Hockey Player is one of our favorite occupations...but we are in the south (Oklahoma) so we also vote Military or Cowboy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like military and cowboys too. Oh, and fireman are hot--haha.

      Delete
  17. This book looks really cool. I will have to check it out. I like Navy Seal books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Romance Man. It is a really cool book.

      Delete
  18. I LOVED Sam and Autumn and also Nick and Delaney. Cannot wait for the new one.

    Lynn P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn. The hero of Rescue Me is Autumn's brother, Vince.

      Delete
  19. MORE hockey ppplleeaassee! There's not enough romance book with hockey as a backdrop. I also wouldn't mind a powerful, hott, CEO. :)
    I can't wait for Rescue Me. Counting the days already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll return to hockey, but I needed a little break. It's difficult to write about book around the long season.

      Delete
  20. I love your hockey books so I might say a hockey player, but my all time favorite book is "Truly Madly Yours" with Nick Allegrezza being my favorite hero. *sigh* lol so I will say my favorite accupation for a hero varies as long as he is strong, passionate, loyal and has a sense of humor.
    Thanks for the wonderful interview and the chance to win a copy of Rescue Me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Nick. He seems to be on a lot of favorite hero lists.

      Delete
  21. I really don't get readers who complain about things in books. Do they think every author is going to think exactly like them? That would be a bit boring. I'm not much for the PC stuff, if I think what I've got to say will offend the person I am around, then I just wait and go home to tell the hubby about it. I can say anything to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world isn't really PC. And besides, what's PC and what's offensive changes from month to month.

      Delete
  22. I love her attitude toward haters. I've never been offended by what she's written. Can't wait for Rescue Me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a long time ago to develop a thick skin, and that sometimes a person's anger might be directed at me, but it has nothing to do with me. I'm just a target.

      Delete
  23. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Rachel! I love that Vince wouldn't leave you alone until you wrote his book. :-)

    I like all sorts of heroes. I am partial to Englishmen, but I love a bad boy, a scholar, a wounded vet, a fireman...as long as he is heroic enough to face his flaws and give his all for love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome. I admit that it is the first time a secondary character threatened to take over a book.

      Delete
  24. I'm going to say hockey players, because up until Rachel's books I never even gave them any thought. Now... Meow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hockey players are like potato chips. You can't have too many.

      Delete
    2. You've won an ARC of RESCUE ME, Kristine. Congrats!!!

      Delete
    3. I just saw this yesterday! Thank u! I never win. I'm so used to just enjoying the blog and commenting. :) And Rachel, I was just telling my son how Carrie Underwood's hubby would make for good inspiration as one of them hockey players you've got me dreaming about. Yummo!

      Delete
  25. I love Rachel's books! They the perfect combination of funny and sexy and I just can't put them down once I start. As for hero occupations, you can't go wrong with a military guy. But I do love me some beefed up hockey players!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I adore your sports romances Rachel! I also like the sound of a small town, military-themed romance. It sounds very sweet and I can't wait to read it. You're right hot heroes do help ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Rachel! Welcome to Lady Scribes! The hero's occupation doesn't really matter to me. I simply like him to have power--whether it be supernatural, money or brute strength, I don't care, but I like him in charge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just finished Crazy on You and now I can't wait for Rescue Me!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes, to all those. :-) But still love the handyman. The guy that used to be a high power stock guy and is now a farmer. Really, if he is a good guy, thats all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This sounds like a good book, I've added it to my TBR list.

    I like military or service heros. There is something innately caring and giving (even if it isn't always evident) in these characters that I like. But I also like cowboys - there's no explanation for it, it just is.

    bas1chsemail at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like variety, so all those occupations are good. But honestly, 'Navy SEAL' always catches my eye. And I do love a series.

    sallans d at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Rachel Gibson became one of my favorite authors with her first book, Simply Irresistible, in which she combined two of my favorite things - romance novels and hockey! I've been a fan of every book she's written and can't wait for this next book particularly now that I've become an avid reader of Navy Seal stories.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hard to decide between Navy Seal or English Lord. I love them all!And I do love series.
    ldwrncpn@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  34. As long as the hero has a job I'm happy with that! I tend to like historical novels so I guess English lord would be my first pick but who doesn't love an athletic hero or a military guy?!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  35. In contemporary stories, it's the guy's cahracter that makes him hot, not necessarily his job. But we all love the Seals, the detectives, the sports guy. And I do love historicals, so Lords, Dukes, Viscounts, Marquis' are all cool!

    Sue P.
    suepete12(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'd have to say Navy Seal.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Good Luck to everyone who's commented so far. I'm really jealous that *I* can't win. *sad face*

    Thank you, Rachel, for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your book sounds really good and I have added it to my TBR list. I don't care what job a hero has as long as he enjoyed it and conducts himself honorably.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Rachel! As a regency writer and reader, I don't really care what the hero's occupation is - so long as he *has* one! I know, I'm weird like that. I know an English lord was supposed to despise work, but what's the fun in that?

    Looking forward to reading what is sure to be another great book from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm not sure I care about the job, but I do like them Alpha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Shoot, I like them all just like I love and have read all of the books by Rachel Gibson, one of my favorite authors. Another great blog by my beautiful and talented daughter(so it will soon be mothers day, got to get in those mom points lol).

    ReplyDelete
  42. Sorry I'm late to the party, but I Love, love, love Rachel Gibson and had to comment. And, thanks Lady Scribes for giving us the chance to get to know her better. I never realized that people might send negative comments about a character's political correctness - or lack of. One of the things I've loved most about Ms. Gibson's writing is that she gives her characters a flawed, baggage-toting, whacky-relative-loving, quirky, funny, authentic perspective that makes them seem like real people, not just characters in a book. Keep up the good work Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you for the interview and giveaway, Rachel and Marquita.

    That passage about negative feedback reminds me of how William Faulkner handled it. He said, "This is a free country. People have the right to send me letters, and I have the right to ignore them."

    To answer your question: Of the five occupations you listed for a romance hero, I'd pick chicken wrangler. Really.

    Why? I prefer romance heroes of modest means, men who aren't rich and powerful. Yeah, I know, I'm probably the ONLY reader who thinks this way. But there you have it.

    To be specific, I go for two types of heroes. One is a hero who's truly heroic. He overcomes daunting obstacles and accomplishes great deeds not for his own sake, but for the sake of others. In a romance, this would typically mean he's motivated by love.

    The other is a beta male, a nice guy. Someone who's easy to love---but can be hard to keep. Doing what's right can lead to problems just as surely as doing what's wrong.

    These two types of heroes both have something in common. They don't have to be redeemed. The author is free to use them to create plots other than the standard redemption-through-love bit.

    And they're extremely rare in romance fiction. I'm always on the lookout for heroes like this. And since I can't find enough, what do I do? You guessed it. I create my own.

    Good luck with the release of "Rescue Me"!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hockey Player.

    I love Rachel's books.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love navy seals, hockey players, you name it i love it!!

    maria

    chilosa_2004 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like titled gentlemen in historicals and educated heroes in contemporaries. I just started to read Rachel's books and they're great. I'm still working on her backlist.

      penfield716(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

      Delete
  46. GREAT interview!

    I love Rachel's heroes too, for exactly the reasons you say. I'm especially drawn to her hockey players but I'd read absolutely anything by her and look forward to her SEAL Vince!

    Thanks for the giveaway. :)

    ReplyDelete