Our Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Vicarious Life - Guest Blog by Darcy Burke


Today, we are absolutely delighted to have debut author Darcy Burke with us. Don't forget to leave a comment for your chance to win her debut novel, Her Wicked Ways!


 The Vicarious Life
One of the reasons I’m a writer is the ability to vicariously say and do things via my characters that I probably wouldn’t. And frequently don’t on the spur of the moment. I can recall many instances where I think, “I wish I’d said XYZ!” or “I wish I’d done LMNOP!” Unfortunately, life does not have a rewind button yet (I’m confident technology will take care of this for us some day). Fortunately though, as a writer, I get to take a moment (or, um, days or weeks) to ensure my heroine says and does just the right thing, the thing I’d like to go back and say or do.

Lady Miranda Sinclair, the heroine of my debut novel, Her Wicked Ways, is a bit of an outrageous character. She definitely says and does things I wouldn’t, which was one of the things that made her so fun to write. She is, in fact, a rakehellion or a female rake (not in the sense of extreme womanizing or gambling, etc., she is after all a female during the Regency period). In the way that we may find bad boys attractive, but that we may not actually pursue them, a little part of us (women, that is) might like to spend at least a day as a rakehellion. Wouldn’t it be fun to ignore our stronger inhibitions and just live in the moment? Yeah, for about as long as that moment lasted! But sometimes it’s fun to think of what it would be like to stretch your muscles and maybe be a little…more. Or in this case, ask yourself (after you’ve read Her Wicked Ways of course!), what would Miranda do?

At the start of Her Wicked Ways, Miranda’s coach is held up by a highwayman. Here’s what she does:

“What do you have for me?”

She stepped toward him until they stood a mere hand’s width apart. “I have nothing, save a kiss.”

His jaw did drop then. Brazen enchantress. “I don’t need a kiss. I need money.”

She sighed, a sound of deep regret. “I told you, I have no money.”

“You’re lying. You reek of wealth.” Fox sniffed loudly to punctuate his statement and got a nose full of her alluring scent for his trouble.

“I know.” Her lips curved into a small, almost seductive smile. It stole his breath. Literally. When he finally remembered to take air, he did so quite audibly. Her mouth widened then, and her face shone like the sun on the brightest summer day.

What the hell kind of highwayman fixated on some chit like a cheap Byron impostor?

Fox reined in his wayward lust. “You must have something of value. A piece of jewelry? A quizzing glass?”

She arched a brow. “What do you take me for? A doddering dowager?”

Good God, no. Never that.

What’s most important to me about a strong woman is that she’s true to herself. She knows who she is and owns her identity. She wears it like a badge of pride and doesn’t give a fig what anyone else thinks. This, I think, is not an easy thing to do, and it’s something Miranda does with every fiber of her being. She knows where the line is and precisely when and where she crossed it.

And now I turn it over to you, dear readers, if you could spend a day—without repercussion!—behaving in a way you normally wouldn’t, what would you do?

 Darcy is giving away an ecopy of Her Wicked Ways to one lucky commenter in the format of their choice! Blurb below:

She was his savior
Banished from London for her reckless behavior, Lady Miranda Sinclair is robbed by a dashing highwayman en route to the country. By offering him a kiss in lieu of the jewels she had to leave behind, she commits the very type of act that caused her exile. When her dour guardians extend her punishment to performing charitable work at the local orphanage, she’s further tempted by the home’s owner, a provincial gentleman who stirs her passion in a most wicked way.

He was her downfall
Desperate to save his orphanage from financial catastrophe, Montgomery "Fox" Foxcroft leads a double life as a highwayman. The arrival of wealthy, well-connected Miranda, whose kiss he can’t forget, presents a lawful opportunity to increase his coffers. His problems seem solved—until she rejects his suit. Out of options and falling for the heiress, Fox must risk what principles he has left and take advantage of her wicked ways—even if it ruins them both.

Bio:
Darcy Burke wrote her first book at age 11, a happily ever after about a swan addicted to magic and the female swan who loved him, with exceedingly poor illustrations. An RWA Golden Heart® Finalist, Darcy loves all things British (except tomatoes for breakfast, or any other time of day, actually) and happy ever afters.

A native Oregonian, Darcy lives on the edge of wine country with her devoted husband, their two great kids, and three cats. In her “spare” time Darcy is a serial volunteer enrolled in a 12-step program where one learns to say “no,” but she keeps having to start over. She’s also a fair-weather runner, and her happy places are Disneyland and Labor Day weekend at the Gorge. Visit Darcy online at http://www.darcy-burke.com, follow her on Twitter at http://twitter.com/darcyburke, or like her Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/darcyburkefans.

29 comments:

  1. Hi Darcy, thanks for dropping by Lady Scribes! "Her Wicked Ways" sounds delicious. I cannot wait to read it. I am not sure if you are checking in throughout the day, but if you are, I would love to know what you find attractive about the Regency era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lily! I'm a bit of an English history nerd, but truthfully my very favorite part is the Tudor period. In fact, in college, I didn't really study past 1800. But after college I read a lot (A LOT) of Regency-set romances and fell in love. There are so many fun things about that period. It's sort of the end of an interesting time socially before the stricter mores of the Victorian era take over. It was a very busy time for England--lots going on at home as well as fighting wars abroad. And I love the country aspects as much as London life, which is why Her Wicked Ways takes place entirely in the country. Thanks so much for stopping by today and I hope you enjoy Her Wicked Ways!

      Delete
  2. Darcy,
    It's great to have you with us today. Congratulations on your debut! Your heroine sounds like just the kind of lady I would enjoy reading about. Hmmm... Only one day makes your question tough. If I could have a week, I'd ditch work and fly somewhere tropical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha, since this is fantasy, you may take a week, or a month! But might I suggest you take someone with you! ;)

      Delete
  3. Hi Darcy.
    Lovely to 'meey' you :)
    Miranda and Montgomery sound like fun and their names have a nice ring to them. Did you pick them because of that? I enjoy good historicals and yours sounds very interesting. Best of publishing success in your writing career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sasha! Actually, Montgomery goes exclusively by "Fox" (from his last name, Foxcroft). I chose that name because I thought a highwayman might be wily and elusive like a fox. ;) And I love that name. I suppose there's a little Fox Mulder appreciation in there too! Thanks so much for the wishes!!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Darcy! I LOVE a strong heroine..and Miranda sounds fabulous.

    No repercussions, huh? I think I'd take a day and spend it thinking only of myself. What I want, all day long and only what I want. Pure fantasy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, Deb, as a mom you've struck straight at the heart of my deepest desires, LOL. Mother's Day is sort of like that at my house, but not entirely of course. Good call!!

      Delete
  5. One day with no repercussions? Ha! I don't know if I'd have the guts to do this, but I'd love to lose my inhibitions and be a brazen flirt for a day, just to see what would happen.

    Thanks for joining us today. I love the sound of Her Wicked Ways. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brazen is excellent! You and Miranda would have a blast together that day. ;) Thanks for having me!!

      Delete
  6. Darcy ~ Welcome to Lady Scribes! Her Wicked Ways sounds sooo fun! Congrats on the release.

    As for a day with no repercussions... I have so many things I could list, but doing so publicly might get me into trouble should anything actually happen to my ex-husband. ;) LOL. So I'll just go with "no comment."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, gotcha! I wish that day could happen for you. :) Thanks for hosting me today!

      Delete
  7. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Darcy and congrats on your debut! Love the title and the cover. :)

    Is it bad that all I'd want to do for a day with no repercussions is sleep, eat and read romance novels? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that bad?! Heck, no!!! That sounds like the best day ever. :)

      Delete
  8. Behaving in a way I normally wouldn't? So, I could read the whole day without anyone bothering me? *g* That'd be like heaven!

    Thank you for the giveaway!
    claudigc at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and happy reading!!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! I'd spend all day reading without any distractions.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Distraction-free is a very good thing!

      Delete
  10. A beautifl cover, sexy title, and an interesting plot. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! My cover designer, Hot Damn, is awesome. You should see the next two over at my website. ;)

      Delete
  11. If I could spend a day behaving any way I wanted to without repercussions, I think it would involve eating lots of yummy food, especially desserts. I've been on a weight loss program and it would be fun to be able to eat all that stuff I'm not supposed to eat, and not gain any weight from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, Barbara! To enjoy something guilt and consequence-free... ah, heaven. :)

      Delete
  12. Welcome to the Lady Scribes Darcy! What a fabulous idea. I usually take a few hours a week to myself because I make my family respect the fact that I need some "me" time. For the most part they listen but an entire day would be heaven. I'm not sure what I'd do but I can guarantee you it'd be all of the above and more. I absolutely adore the cover and the blurb sounds delicious! I'm off to dream of such a fabulous day. Perhaps someday when I retire I can spend an entire day to myself. Oh what, heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Suzie! I'm not very good at taking me time. That said, I do prioritize some things for myself, and like you, I'm fortunate to have a very supportive family. Thanks so much for having me today!

      Delete
  13. Congrats on your debut book Darcy & it sounds like a fun n fantastic read. Love strong heroines!
    Behaving in a way I normally wouldn't with no repercussion? I think I would sit myself down with a big tub of ice cream! LOLs!! Can u tell I'm on a diet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good, Linda! Thanks so much for visiting!!

      Delete
  14. I think I would like to be able to say what I am really thinking. To people I see in public and to my own family members as well. I've always been one of those peacekeepers, uh mouth zipped shut types. I don't say anything that would upset someone else. It's not always a good thing, but its me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhi, you have NO idea how appropriate your comment is to me personally today, lol. I need a day like that because I need to open my mouth about something, and it's going to be really difficult. Being a peacekeeper (or at least trying to be) kind of sucks sometimes, doesn't it? Thanks so much for stopping by!!

      Delete
  15. And the winner of Darcy's book, HER WICKED WAYS, is Linda! Linda, Darcy will be in contact with you shortly. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete